Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 12:37   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Medical Marijuana

63? Gee, the oldest regular pot smoker I know was 85, possibly 90 by now, live and be well. Never stoned or otherwise impaired while sailing, but certainly known to imbibe with everyone else at the YC after races.

Why don't we really do something objective like condemn all the sailors who EAT RED MEAT or animal products, or diary and eggs, while we're at it? They've also all been proven to be bad substances that alter the mental status. Heck, look at all the folks who have fallen asleep after a holiday turkey dinner, pumped on triptomine, is it?

Or we could debate The True Gods. If there was or were any ten thousand years ago, were they all false? Or perhaps...a lot of folks have been mislead recently. An awful lot of folks.

Reefer madness, indeed.

OP's question was whether is would be a problem, despite the RX.
Asked and answered.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:41   #47

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That's like saying you'd rather be around someone glassy-eyed and stupid... Instead of someone who pisses and craps their pants.

Since you put it that way - I'll take the former.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:44   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:52   #49

Boat: Chris-Craft Carribean 35'

Sad world when the feds consider ailing sailing grandmas public enemy #1
Capt. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:57   #50

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Pot is a proven anti-nausea drug, and I'd rather have a seasick crew on pot than on dramamine. However, until the laws catch up, medical marijuana is not allowed on my boats.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 14:18   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Funny story, a friend of mine tends to smoke quite a bit. He was just telling me how seasick he got last weekend so I'm not so sure how it works in Santa Cruz.

He did have his boat searched in Ft Pierce. We happened to have just smoked a bit in his cockpit and then went to my boat for dinner when the CG pulled up. We went back over to see what they wanted and apparently were doing random "safety checks" so anyway, he had stowed the pipe but id say in no way were these guys concerned with a small bit of weed as they could certainly easily smell it.

They were generally acting kinda twitchy all with sidearms apparently needed to protect us from them or whatever so I went back to my boat and waited till they were done.

As a side note we had just returned from the Bahamas about 24 hours prior and we had legally cleared in against my normal approach, but they never asked.
Old 03-06-2015, 15:22   #52

Boat: Seafarer36c

All this talk of weed ( I guess) has me getting ads for and aginst pot on the CF page on my computer. Way better than toe nail fungus pictures.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 17:22   #53

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
All this talk of weed ( I guess) has me getting ads for and aginst pot on the CF page on my computer. Way better than toe nail fungus pictures.
Someone I know well has found cannabis oil has eliminated her toenail fungus. It is a known antifungal..
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 18:19   #54

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Someone I know well has found cannabis oil has eliminated her toenail fungus. It is a known antifungal..
That's why I never smoke pot when I'm on mushrooms.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 19:51   #55

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Or we could debate The True Gods. If there was or were any ten thousand years ago, were they all false? Or perhaps...a lot of folks have been mislead recently. An awful lot of folks.
They were all, well, not quite appropriate. Modern thinking realizes the truisms of
The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

About « Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oh... About that marijuana aboard thing?
Substitute "guns aboard" for "marijuana aboard" and read the threads.
Where legal - no probs.
Where illegal - BIG probs.

Now with all the Red Tape, Bureaucracy and Officialdom we sailors sometimes encounter 'round the ports - WHY oh WHY would you invite added troubles into your life?
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 20:18   #56

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Two House Bills Would Completely Legalize Marijuana Across the U.S.
Yes, the United States federal government might just legalize marijuana. Two congressmen just filed two separate House Bills on Friday that together would legalize marijuana at the federal level. That means an effective end to the U.S. government’s prohibition policy on the plant.
Representative Jared Polis (D-Colorado) recently introduced the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act. This Bill proposes just what it sounds like. Marijuana would be legal, but regulated like alcohol. The Bill would completely remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act’s schedules.
The Drug Enforcement Administration would no longer have any say or oversight in policing and regulating the plant. Instead, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, would handle regulation of legal marijuana in the same way they regulate alcohol.
Representative Earl Blumenauer (D-Oregon) also introduced the separate Marijuana Tax Revenue Act, which imposes a federal excise tax for regulated marijuana. While that might sound like a huge bummer to marijuana users, it provides a big incentive for politicians to make a progressive move on legalization.
States could still enact their own, individual prohibitions, but the federal ban that exists today would be gone.
Four states as well as the District of Columbia have completely legalized recreational marijuana. Washington DC still prohibits the sale of the plant, however. But beyond that, there are 23 states that have legalized marijuana for medical purposes. Proponents of legalization say it is only a matter of time before there is federal legalization… so what better time than now?
“While President Obama and the Justice Department have allowed the will of voters in states like Colorado and 22 other jurisdictions to move forward, small business owners, medical marijuana patients, and others who follow state laws still live with the fear that a new administration — or this one — could reverse course and turn them into criminals,” Representative Polis explained in a statement released on Friday.
“It is time for us to replace the failed prohibition with a regulatory system that works and let states and municipalities decide for themselves if they want, or don’t want, to have legal marijuana within their borders.”
Representative Blumenauer said that the federal prohibition of marijuana has been “a failure” and a profound waste of tax dollars that have needlessly ruined lives.
“As more states move to legalize marijuana as Oregon, Colorado, Washington and Alaska have done,” Blumenauer added, “it’s imperative the federal government become a full partner in building a workable and safe framework.”
(Article by Jackson Marciana)
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 21:48   #57

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

This is sort of fun although drugs on boats should never be allowed for many reasons. That includes alcohol. For someone who went to high school in the sixties when pot was unheard of to seeing the world change in college where virtually everyone smoked pot it's interesting to hear other opinions and perceptions like the "glassy eyed" comment. I have known addicts whose lives were ruined by pot. I have also known students in my pre-med courses who smoked constantly and were brilliant. The idea that all people are effected the same is pure hogwash. The main reason I quit was because it didn't do anything for me. I preferred a stiff drink which was probably a mistake. Like so many things generalization is the easy way out for those who really don't want to know what is true but prefer specious arguments. My experience has been that booze destroyed more people I know than any other drug but we are bombarded by it every day and, in most cases, not only accept it but glorify it. My father was a naval aviator and we had a sign hanging in our kitchen my entire life which was a quote by Halsey: "Never trust a man who doesn't drink" and for years I didn't. Sorry to go off message. Just bored I guess.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 23:33   #58

Boat: valiant 40

As I said with firearms, why create more drama while you cruise, I'm sure you will get more than you want anyway.
Old 05-06-2015, 23:07   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

What an amazing change this would make in your country and probably in ours as well. Think of the court time, prison time and expense it would free up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Two House Bills Would Completely Legalize Marijuana Across the U.S.
Yes, the United States federal government might just legalize marijuana. Two congressmen just filed two separate House Bills on Friday that together would legalize marijuana at the federal level. That means an effective end to the U.S. government’s prohibition policy on the plant.
Representative Jared Polis (D-Colorado) recently introduced the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act. This Bill proposes just what it sounds like. Marijuana would be legal, but regulated like alcohol. The Bill would completely remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act’s schedules.
The Drug Enforcement Administration would no longer have any say or oversight in policing and regulating the plant. Instead, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, would handle regulation of legal marijuana in the same way they regulate alcohol.
Representative Earl Blumenauer (D-Oregon) also introduced the separate Marijuana Tax Revenue Act, which imposes a federal excise tax for regulated marijuana. While that might sound like a huge bummer to marijuana users, it provides a big incentive for politicians to make a progressive move on legalization.
States could still enact their own, individual prohibitions, but the federal ban that exists today would be gone.
Four states as well as the District of Columbia have completely legalized recreational marijuana. Washington DC still prohibits the sale of the plant, however. But beyond that, there are 23 states that have legalized marijuana for medical purposes. Proponents of legalization say it is only a matter of time before there is federal legalization… so what better time than now?
“While President Obama and the Justice Department have allowed the will of voters in states like Colorado and 22 other jurisdictions to move forward, small business owners, medical marijuana patients, and others who follow state laws still live with the fear that a new administration — or this one — could reverse course and turn them into criminals,” Representative Polis explained in a statement released on Friday.
“It is time for us to replace the failed prohibition with a regulatory system that works and let states and municipalities decide for themselves if they want, or don’t want, to have legal marijuana within their borders.”
Representative Blumenauer said that the federal prohibition of marijuana has been “a failure” and a profound waste of tax dollars that have needlessly ruined lives.
“As more states move to legalize marijuana as Oregon, Colorado, Washington and Alaska have done,” Blumenauer added, “it’s imperative the federal government become a full partner in building a workable and safe framework.”
(Article by Jackson Marciana)
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:18   #60
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

One can't help but wonder (or perhaps I missed the memo) why some pro-pot organization hasn't simply sued the Fed to have pot taken off the Class1 drugs list. After all, the law says Class1 drugs have to be certain things, like incredibly dangerous and able to leap out of drawers and addict passerby all by themselves.

And the facts, established by fifty years of fact-finding committees from Congress and Presidents and other disreputable sources, all (ALL) say that this is simply not true. The law stands in substantial error, and We The People are supposed to have legal remedy to correct things like that.

Or maybe, we need drones to start dropping joints on the White House lawn, and seeds in the Rose Garden, to help make sure the problem is, you know, more equitably spread around? (sigh.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, medical