Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41   #16

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: How Safe Is Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My impression is that in Mexico, you will be defenseless if you obey its law. In California, you are able to defend your life with deadly force. Which is rather surprising.
Quite correct. In Mexico there is no legal defense of self defense. if you hurt or kill someone who is trying to kill you,you will be charged and found guilty. You have no legal right to protect yourself your home or your property. According to the interpretation of the law the offender has the right to rob you, assault you or kill you but you have no right to defend yourself. This information was given to me by a criminal lawyer in Mexico when I asked him the question after my wife had been stabbed and I chased the attackers but did not catch them.

Also there is no such thing as accidental homicide such as a car accident, even if it was not your fault and the other person dies you are charged with murder.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Welcome to the Napoleonic code...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:02   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
isnt this the case of mnost of the world-- and usa used to be apart from the rest in this matter-- we have been spoiled in usa for 200+ years, allowing our bears to be armed. the problem in this lies in leaving and EXPECTING the rest of the world to go along with usa standards, which they do NOT....only coverage by usa constitution is spozed to be us citizens within usa. is important to respect the cultures and values of the nations being visited. loss of life and freedoms can and will result from demanding the policies held in usa to be held in other nations.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
isnt this the case of mnost of the world-- and usa used to be apart from the rest in this matter-- we have been spoiled in usa for 200+ years, allowing our bears to be armed. the problem in this lies in leaving and EXPECTING the rest of the world to go along with usa standards, which they do NOT....only coverage by usa constitution is spozed to be us citizens within usa. is important to respect the cultures and values of the nations being visited. loss of life and freedoms can and will result from demanding the policies held in usa to be held in other nations.
Here (Uruguay) you can only claim self-defense if 1) you didn't not cause in any way the incident, 2) you did not find any other reasonable way of dealing with the threat and 3) your life was threatened by the actions (perceived intentions don't count) of the aggressor, that is defense of property does not count.

Even so, there is a lot of people armed, and quite a few people in jail for killing thieves, mostly for shooting them in the back.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:41   #20

Boat: looking

How safe is Mexico? Well, from what I've experienced in years gone by & from reading the posts of cruisers, there could be:
drug/alcohol fueled trouble makers
fugitives from justice doing what they can to survive
pirates, poachers & other "never-do-well's"

But, enough about cruisers, as for the locals...

Mexico isn't some safe haven, by any means. Lots of innocent travellers & business persons have been robbed, raped, shot, stabbed, imprisoned, etc., over the years. I often read/hear about the same misconceptions - safe for foreigners -regarding "hot" areas of Mindanao, in the Southern Philippines. Part of this seems to be the perception of people from specific countries. Usually, it appears that it is Americans suggesting that such areas are safe, but one must remember that - compared to Canada, most areas of Europe, Aus & NZ, etc. - the U.S. has much more crime. So, the usual rules of international travel prevail. It is usually safer in daytime, than at night. One should learn from others the safe/unsafe areas of town(ZeeHag wrote a great post on this, regarding gang activity around Maz & Acapulco). It is better to travel in groups, or with a buddy, than alone. Flashing signs of wealth is looking for trouble. Better to keep one's temper & walk away, report scams/attempted scams to dept. of tourism instead of trying to address them yourself. Don't buy/do anything illegal. In other words, keep it clean & calm, fly under the radar, mind your own business, & be suspicious, yet, not paranoid. In regard to intl. travel, it has been my experience that witnessing "paradise" isn't always easy, but has always been worth the effort and/or risk.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 14:58   #21

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Don't flash wealth. If you must have a watch, sport a Timex. Avoid wearing jewlery.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:58   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

it seems that mexico is so very unsafe that princess cruises is ADDING this venue, mazatlan, back to the ports they serve. cruise ships returning next year!!!!! there will again be turistas in mazatlan. is a very good thing-- the mazaltecos have been worried about economy here, as much of their income here is from turistas. good work!!!!
and marina mazatlan is adding more slips.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:07   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Sorry to contradict but self defense exist in the so called Napoleonic code
Alec
Old 12-10-2011, 08:25   #24

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Alec
Maybe, but here in Mexico the judge corrupt or otherwise decides what is a defense and there are plenty of people inside who had that defense.....just don't try it in Mexico.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38   #25

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Alec
Legally you're correct. And this applies to citizens, and generally not to residents or toursits. In most countries a citizen may own a gun, a resident (green card) or toursits may not.
The biggest hang-up about the Napoleonic Code is that your guility until proven innocent.
Johni
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39   #26

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Just because it is possible to travel safely in a country doesn't means that the country is "safe".

A corrupt police and violence from the drug trade means that if you do run into trouble, you are most likely on your own.

An Acapulco resort was recently overun by armed men, and several, including tourists were killed in the shootout. In most cases I would say the resorts are "safe", but in this case I would be wrong. Are the resorts not hit yet "safe"??? Maybe, maybe they will be in a shootout tomorrow, when another turf war starts.

If you don't run into trouble, (law or criminal), every country in the world is "safe".

Every country in the world there are good people that wake up go to work, have kids, go home to their family, and go to sleep. If you interact with these people you will be "safe", until you are robbed or run into trouble with the corrupt police. Then you will wish you were in a country with a stable government that protects people, property, and human rights.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico