Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 16:15   #1
JAL

Debris from Fukushima

Howdy Mates, new here.

I'm curious to know, in terms of a future voyage in that vicinity.

1. Is there information that deals specifically with the massive amount of floating debris moving towards Hawaii, and West Coast of the US, from Fukushima, here at this site?

2. If not, anyone out there with update, to share their personal experiences, sailing through that region?

Thanks
JAL
JAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 00:04   #2
JAL

Re: Debris from Fukushima

I just realized I should have written "Japan" instead of "Fukushima" regarding the massive amount of surface debris heading ominously towards the West Coast. I've also been following the dangerous levels of contamination from radioactive particles seeping into the sea, working its way from the decaying Fukushima nuclear plant, also towards the West Coast, which is the reason I inadvertently was thinking Fukushima. Anyway, strange how tight lipped the US Government is regarding the immensity of this nuclear disaster that continues to get worse on a daily basis.

I've been reading stories on the internet that the estimated 1.5 million tons of debris is the size of Texas, although it has spread out more since that initial discloser was made.

It seems odd that sailors aren't reporting their encounters with this floating "island". Is this region of the ocean off the beaten track, so to speak?
Old 29-03-2014, 02:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> It seems odd that sailors aren't reporting their encounters with this floating "island".

There is no "floating island" according to NOAA.

"At this point, nearly three years after the earthquake and tsunami struck Japan, whatever debris remains floating is very spread out," NOAA officials said. "It is spread out so much that you could fly a plane over the Pacific Ocean and not see any debris, since it is spread over a huge area, and most of the debris is small, hard-to-see objects.""
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 02:18   #4

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL View Post
I've also been following the dangerous levels of contamination from radioactive particles seeping into the sea, working its way from the decaying Fukushima nuclear plant, also towards the West Coast, which is the reason I inadvertently was thinking Fukushima. Anyway, strange how tight lipped the US Government is regarding the immensity of this nuclear disaster that continues to get worse on a daily basis.
The US government is not being "tight lipped". You know, sometimes when the authorities say "move on, nothing to see here" there is indeed nothing to see...

There is indeed still radioactive water seeping in to the ocean from Fukushima, but it is certainly not at a level that is endangering the pacific. Don't listen to the scaremongers. Listen to scientists who actually study the Pacific for a living:

All The Best, Scientifically Verified, Information on Fukushima Impacts | Deep Sea News

Meanwhile in Fukushima fear from radiation is actually killing people, but so far no body has died because of radiation itself...

BBC News - Fukushima: Is fear of radiation the real killer?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 03:39   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

And you thought phosphorescent plankton was cool !!!!

Delay installing that in hull bottom lighting and enjoy the glowing pool !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 05:31   #6

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have seen some debris washed up on the beach. Specificly a concrete float about 8x14 feet and a large dual truck tire. I would not have like to have impacted either while underway. I guess we will have to wait and see how much stuff ultimately shows up.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:15   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
...I've also been following the dangerous levels of contamination from radioactive particles seeping into the sea, working its way from the decaying Fukushima nuclear plant, also towards the West Coast...
Where are you finding accurate and unbiased reports of these "dangerous" levels? Everything I've read suggests that they're only barely detectable, and insignificant compared to normal background radiation.

As stated above, there is a lot of fear mongering about this subject going on. It does sell papers and maybe helps the political careers of those who participate in it. But it's not very helpful.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 08:54   #8
JAL

"There is no "floating island" according to NOAA." ...
that may be so StuM, but what I'm looking for is not a chart, a photo, a graph, on the internet, but testimonies from sailors who have recently sailed through the area; west of the West Coast of America, North of Hawaii (or in that generally vicinity), South of Alaska, East of Japan. I'm looking for experiences from those who have encountered debris, of any shapes and sizes, first hand.

As for K_V_B (who "appears" to live in Suisse)..."The US government is not being "tight lipped". You know, sometimes when the authorities say "move on, nothing to see here" there is indeed nothing to see..."

Personally, I don't believe "anything" the authorities say (and much of what MSM, owned and operated by the same "group" says), and I have plenty of "proof/evidence" to back up that "personal" claim/experience (hence I'm in the process of collecting relevant date so as not to sink a very pricey, for my pocket book, '53 Finnish sailboat), so I can safely sail away from this government, while one still can. If you choose to believe the authorities and MSM are looking out for your best interest and you have solid proof of that, then may you enjoy the picture perfect postcard, make-believe world they paint for you and live happily ever after.

Thank you IdoraKeeper, "concrete" evidence is what I'm seeking here. Yes, this is what I hope to avoid (All is Lost) while navigating this area at night, when I leave the Pacific NW.

Capt Tom, your question is a sane one; Accurate and Unbiased reports regarding "radiation in the Pacific". I have a number of sources for that (levels of radiation) which I cross reference with, but is the source for the information "real" or "unreal"? Until I'm actually standing on the deck of my boat, or on the beach, with a geiger counter, reading the data, I really won't know. The unbiased information is out there for those who are willing to think and look outside their proverbial boxes, but so is disinformation. However, sometimes the truth needs to be ferreted out, in bits and pieces, to discern a relatively accurate picture of what is real.

"Denial" and "Normalcy Bias" are a couple of relevant terms running rampant in the minds of the American masses right now. Looking forward to "open minds" on the open seascape, and all that that entails.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 29-03-2014, 09:14   #9

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

For graphic representation of winds and currents, Google "earth wind map."
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 09:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have transited Oregon-Washington-British Columbia a few times since the disaster. Never have personally seen anything, but I am aware of what has washed up. Don't sleep very well at night when I am passage making in those waters, but what are you going to do?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 10:09   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Howdy Mates, new here.

I'm curious to know, in terms of a future voyage in that vicinity.

1. Is there information that deals specifically with the massive amount of floating debris moving towards Hawaii, and West Coast of the US, from Fukushima, here at this site?

2. If not, anyone out there with update, to share their personal experiences, sailing through that region?
I sailed from near Osaka to Victoria, BC, setting off about four months after the tsunami. Based on news reports of vast islands of debris and the advice of Japanese sailors, I took a route somewhat south of the typical route recommended by Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes. It was slower, but pleasant.

I did not encounter any "islands" of debris, but there was a huge amount of rubbish floating around out there between Japan and about 170E. There were a few "bumps" in the night, but nothing serious, though in the day I did pass newish-looking large metal containers, torn beams and building frames and endless bits of children's toys and wooden furniture. After around 170E, I saw nothing.

Since then, I have sailed up and down the BC coast. I have heard reports of debris coming ashore, but seen nothing myself.
Old 29-03-2014, 10:20   #12

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

my brother sails on a 65ft charter out of Hawaii, they picked it up in june last year, sailed it from san fran and have been sailing all around the islands and have not seen anything more than soda bottles and the like. I gotta say that if there was anything big enough to worry about floating out there, it would have been posted.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 12:39   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, we sailed from Kauai to SF in 1983. We saw lots of flotsam, some biggish stuff including a large buoy with Japanese writing on it. This was a long time before Fukushima and the tsunami. There has been crap circulating around the North Pacific Gyre for a hell of a long time. If the chance of encountering a large enough bit to damage your boat is paralyzing you, better stay home, for such encounters can happen in any ocean.

And for the chap who postulates waving a "Geiger Counter" around so that HE will know the truth... seems like you would know nothing new because both the instrumentation and the technique are inappropriate to the measurement. Better leave that investigation to folks who know what they are doing!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-03-2014, 12:46   #14

Boat: PETERSON 44

Now that we are paying attention it seems like the Indian Ocean is adrift in large pieces of trash too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 13:32   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Now that we are paying attention it seems like the Indian Ocean is adrift in large pieces of trash too.

And ten ships guided by five planes and a myriad of satellites can't find none of it!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote