Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 17:58   #301

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
yep, can't argue with that...

regarding the hunter/gatherer point: nope...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ual-scientists

so lets just try to be a better society and stop pushing women into weird stereotypes by trying to justify them with unrelated facts, shall we?
Neat.
Lets go back to hunter gatherer societies like thousands of years ago.........where old age was like what?....30-45?
Stereotypes like the one where only they get to have babies? Oh the horror of natures inequalities!!!!
Lets not look at thousands of years later where the American Indian tribes had specific chores/duties/responsibilities---whatever you want to call it. They were hunter gatherer too...........Oh wait they also (almost every tribe!) routinely participated in slavery well past the end of the US Civil War. They also routinely attacked, fought, killed, captured, burned and tortured neighboring tribes. They generally took women and children and killed the men.
Great times we should respect and emulate..........NOT!

I prefer we not argue this S*it here as it has nothing to do with the Dingbats on this boat.

I just want to get them to fess up. I don't believe it all because of the multitude of inconsistencies.

If they just told the truth we could move on the next imaginative news reporting.

SHEESH!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:47   #302

Boat: Tartan 40

Well at least they found the boat....

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...370727567.html

Old 03-11-2017, 08:52   #303

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post

That's funny!!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:19   #304

Boat: Tartan 40

I thought so too. I didn’t put the ad up to clarify ...
Old 03-11-2017, 11:06   #305

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post

Wifey B: You're a bad, bad boy.

Fooled me for a moment though.

Thing is, it just sounds too much like them.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18   #306
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Here’s a list of folks I would like to hear give their take on the story
Lynn Pardy
Beth Leonard
Tanya Abib
Annie Hill

And a couple of others I know of similar ilk who are less recognizable

I’d add Wifey B and Ann Cate but we know what they think. . Thank you.

I still think the real story has them hanging out landside somewhere for a few months.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:23   #307
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

On the puntative boat

STARRATT & JENKS 45 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

1977 Morgan Starrett & Jenks Aft Cockpit, Satellite Beach Florida - boats.com

How in Dogs name do you add 2-1/2’ , in any direction, to that keel? Why?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:25   #308

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Just for archival purposes: because that Craigslist ad will be taken down eventually, here it is for posterity.

"Selling a perfectly functional 50 foot sailboat that I made myself. Everything works. Just got back from bobbing around for 5 months and needs to be cleaned of algae and shark skin oils but that's all. Engine has less than 12 hours on I‎t and ran like a top the last time I‎t was shut off. This is a roomy boat and you will feel so comfortable that you won't want to ever come back to the harbor. I'll throw in a New in box EPIRB still charged and in warranty. Sails are in great shape due to me keeping them covered when at sea. Willing to deliver eventually. Book and or movie coming soon"
Old 03-11-2017, 11:53   #309

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Here’s a list of folks I would like to hear give their take on the story
Lynn Pardy
Beth Leonard
Tanya Abib
Annie Hill

And a couple of others I know of similar ilk who are less recognizable

I’d add Wifey B and Ann Cate but we know what they think. . Thank you.

I still think the real story has them hanging out landside somewhere for a few months.
Rather than noteable and knowledgeable sailors weighing in...Im waiting to see which of these two jokers cracks first and spills the real story.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:58   #310
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
if infact it was a Starratt 45 why does the USCG I list her vessel the sea nymph as a 37 Starratt & jenks 36

Data found in current database.
Vessel Name: SEA NYMPH USCG Doc. No.: 608498
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: WDD7519
Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: SJK002350179
Ship Builder: STARRATT & JENKS YACHT CO Year Built: 1979

Length (ft.): 36.8
Hailing Port: KEEHI HI Hull Depth (ft.): 7.5
Owner: JENNIFER APPEL
98-885 ILIEE ST (ALEA HI) PO BOX 578
HALEIWA, HI 96712 Hull Breadth (ft.): 10.8
Gross Tonnage: 18
Net Tonnage: 17
Documentation Issuance Date: March 25, 2017 Documentation Expiration Date: April 30, 2018
Previous Vessel Names: TRACY ANN
TRACY ANN
CAPTAINS HOLIDAY
GRETCHEN
DAWN TREADER
Previous Vessel Owners: JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
JENNIFER APPEL
TRACY MCINTYRE
TRACY MCINTYRE
STEVEN L HENTZEN
Old 03-11-2017, 12:15   #311

Boat: Catalina 470

Don,
I have at least one for your list!!
That's my own mother! (who at 96 yrs old is still the best sailor, I ever met....and I've met some crusty old circimnavs!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
At this point in this thread I for one would really find it a welcome and refreshing change to now see a list of all the hundreds of women who are now sailing, and who have in the past sailed, very happily and successfully all over the world without a headline or recognition, who solved all the problems that came their way without anyone noticing and who demonstrate how to skillfully plan and prepare for a voyage without any publicity.
We really need to see some balance with reality.

You asked for examples of real women sailors??

Being a single man / quasi-widower (think that what you call someone whose girl-friend passes away before they get married??), I'd like to nominate my Mom!! (I've got dozens and dozens of stories about my Mom and cruising/sailing....but here are just a couple, off the top of my head!)

Yes, my mother is now 96 yrs old (my Dad passed 8 yrs ago), and she's still going strong, making her own cold breakfast, reading the newspaper daily, still has a driver's license, etc....and I took her out sailing just last month!! (oh, and about 2 years ago, I had her run me up the mast in my bosun's chair....ok, I do have a electric winch, so all she did was press the button....but, she had to slip the line around the winch drum, a little at a time, to ease me down!!)

Can't write a book here...but, my cruising started when I was a kid, with my parents, in the mid-60's.... 1965 Bahamas was my first cruising experience...followed by the DR, PR, BVI, and then in a few years, farther down island....and then the whole Caribbean, and across Atlantic a couple times and a few season in the Med....

1967: Shot at / Fired upon by DR Navy artillery, a rather cool experience for a kid....and, there was my Mom...
I will leave this story for my memoir!

Spring 1973:
Grenada...
Anyone remember Maurice Bishop and the Marxist "New Jewel Movement"??
Well, we were there, right in the thick of it!!
We had spent a few weeks in the Grenadines and were planning on leaving the boat on the dock in Grenada and flying home (Ft. Laud), but the eve prior and morning of our flight was the start of the Marxist revolution in Grenada!! Which we knew nothing about (oblivious American sailors, you know)....

My Mom spent the morning giving away all our provisions to other cruiser's on the dock, and cleaning out the frig, etc....my brother and Dad spent an hour assessing a diesel issue (a lift pump leak??), and I was "fishing" (playing with a line and lure off the side of the boat)...we packed our bags, found our local "taxi" driver (who informed us of the riots still going on and that the "rebels" / "communists" were burning stores downtown and they were then heading to the airport....so we needed to go now!)....along the drive we heard AK fire and saw many throwing Molotov Cocktails ('cept I didn't know what either of those were, back then)....

Long-story short...after getting to "airport" (other side of island) found ourselves right in the thick of the revolution! VW Bettles and old trucks over-turned on the runway, along with spikes and burning barrels of oil....there would be no plane today!! (I think there was only one int'l jet flight in/out each day and one/two inter-island turbo-prop each week, back then...)

After about 30mins large crowds showed up, all with AK's, machete's, etc....and our taxi driver suggested we go back to our boat and get the hell out of Grenada as fast as we can!! It took almost 2 hours to get back to the dock....but we made it...

My Mom and I went back to some of the other cruiser's to see if we could get back some provisions (bread and jam was all we got) and my Dad and brother fixed the diesel leak....during this time a group of frighten tourists (staying in local guest houses / hotels) gathered on the dock, trying to get out...

Apparently all of our fellow cruiser's had turned into professionals (thieves) and were charging $1000 / person to get to Bequia or St. Vincent....and while I was cleaning off some tools on deck, one gentleman (from Teaneck, NJ) asked if this was my boat and what we were charging....after a brief convo my Dad came up on deck (in a bit of a mood) and this guy asked my Dad the same question...
My Dad's reply was "I'm not selling passage, but if you want off the island, we're leaving in half-an-hour, you're welcome to come with.....but, we're not waiting on 'ya!"...

We left in just about 30 min....and we had 17 extra people on-board, including the 3-man flight crew and 5 (?) flight attendants, from PanAm (who were supposed to fly us out that day, if their plane had ever landed), as well as a dozen others....My Mom made snacks for everyone, and even held cold wash cloths over the heads of some who were seasick....and she took her turn on watch, too (but I think my Dad was up 36+ hrs anyway.) She made it fun for everyone....now, by this time (just before my 12th birthday) I was well-seasoned and this was just my "everyday life", but many of these "adults" were panicked, seriously!! (and one stewardess puked on my bunk....which was the only thing that I found "unpleasant"!!)

Most departed us In St. Vincent, but a couple left in Bequia....and until they passed away a few years ago, my Mom still exchanged Christmas Cards with a few of these folks...

{A year or two earlier, just the 3 of us on-board (as usual) we had a real bitch of a beat to windward across the Mona Passage (at night) and found after a few hours that our anchor had come dislodged from the bow and we were "dragging it" along with us....too rough to do much of anything, but cut the end of the rode....so...my Mom held my Dad's belt and held my Mom, with my leg around a hold in the cockpit, as my Dad cut the anchor line....sounded like a guitar string!!
(this passage my Mom reminded me of the first three rules: Don't Fall off the boat! Don't fall off the boat! Don't fall off the boat!!)

Made it into Mayguez and my Mom and I were invited to join the captain of a brand-new ~ 300' Tuna boat on its mid-day shake down cruise....wow, what a cool boat that was!}

November 1978 (or '77 ??):
Bay of Biscay!! Yeah, anyone ever sailed there, you know that you really don't want to be there in Nov!!! And, I was not there, just my Mom and Dad....trying to get from France (Normady area?) down to Villamora, Portugal before Thanksgiving, I was at home, warm and dry in Ft. Lauderdale!

This is a rather long story....that I will abbreviate!!! (thank God!)

Wicked storm (and, yes I mean "storm" as in Force 10 or 11) and when pulling in a deeper reef in the mainsail (they had wire reel halyard winches and that '70's roller-boom-reefing) my Dad got his ring-finger caught in the halyard and cut off fully half of it!! To his credit, he finished the reef at the mast with 9.5 fingers and quite a bit of blood, and my Mom at the helm!! And, then found the rest of his finger on the deck!

My Mom hove-to and administered first aid....she check the charts and marked their current position....my Dad was in pain, but wanted to stay awake, so he rested in the cockpit while she sailed!! After 6+ hours, they made it to a small French town....where she anchored the boat and threw a line to stone wall (why anyone was out in that weather, we'll never know....but I suspect the locals saw this bright yellow Hinckley sail in and wanted to know who was crazy enough to be out in that weather??)...some more locals helped get my Dad ashore and then they went to the local clinic, where an old nursemaid tried to stitch up my Dad's finger...after an hour of "treatment" they were back on-board and the storm was still blowing....

After another hour the pain was severe and my Dad was concerned that they hadn't really gotten much in the way of modern medical treatment (small-town France in the 1970's)....but he did take more anti-biotics, and when looking out the companionway, they both decided to put to sea again, to seek better medical treatment....

So, out into the storm they went....Into a November force 10 or 11 storm, in the Bay of Biscay!!!

Now, to hear my Mom tell the story, it was "no big deal"....just some wind....but, she is without a doubt THE most modest person I know!! (My Dad was also modest, but sometimes he'd exaggerate a good fish story....but, not my Mom....she always down-played, everything!!)

About 16 - 20 hours later, they arrived at a bigger town, with hospital....got anchored / stern-to....got a local fisherman to help and got my Dad to the hospital!!

Well, long-story short....his finger was dead....so, he lived another 30 years with only 9 and half fingers!! But, my Mom!!

Well, my Mom never missed a beat!! She's the best sailor I ever met, ever!!!

Oh, and neither my Mom, nor I, have ever been seasick!!

November 1980 (?):

Canaries to Barbados....downwind...yes...but wow did we have wind!!

5-Course Thanksgiving Dinner (supposed to be last Thursday of Nov)....well, my Mom made a full Turkey dinner, stuffing, yams, casserol, pumpkin pie, etc.....but it was too rough to cook on Thursday (16' and 35kts+), so she made it on Friday!! Best Damn Thanksgiving ever!! (oh, and we did give her a night off from standing watch!!)
{Side note: Turkey being native to N. America, was available in Europe back then....so I flew into the Canaries (from Miami and London or Barcelona?) with a frozen ButterBall Turkey in a cooler as one of my checked bags!! True story!! I was measuring frozen turkeys in Publix, to make sure they fit the freezer!}

Like I said, there are dozens of stories about my Mom....but that's all for now!

My parents taught me a lot in life, especially how to be a Man...
My Dad taught me celestial navigation, etc....but my Mom taught me more than I can ever write here!
Thanks, Mom!!

Don, I hope this is what you wanted??

Fair winds.

John

P.S. I never gave it any thought at all, that these two wackos were women....never occurred to me that it mattered!! And, I still don't care!!
Old 03-11-2017, 13:08   #312
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone wanting to read about real female sailors worthy of admiration can learn about several in this thread linked below.

Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-176284.html
Old 03-11-2017, 14:35   #313

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

KA4WJA, John,

Lovely stories about your Mom. Good on both of you, eh.

Ann
Old 03-11-2017, 17:42   #314

Boat: Catalina 470

Ann,
Thanks for the kind words!

BTW, for some of you others, please take notice of the years that I mentioned in my "Mom Stories"...
This was not "push button" sailing, and was decades before chartploters and GPS!! {okay in the 70's we did have electric primaries (and a windlass) but we still winched by hand most of the time) }

Navigation was all DR and celestial....
Still say give me a Ritchie GlobeMaster or Navigator compass, a wrist watch, and some charts, and that's all ya need!!

Heck in the 60's all we had other than the Ritchie GlobeMaster, was one of those orange neon "flasher-type" depth sounders, and old MF RDF, and a very intermittent 2mhz AM marine radio!!

{still remember homing into ZBB / Bimini, and vectoring off, to stay in deep water....there were no "Exploroer Charts" back then...
Oh, and when sailing past Clifton Pt / Lyford Cay, we'd say "head south in deep water, 'til Highborne Cay lays one oh three"...then we'd turn 103*M and make for Highborne / and the Exumas.....that meant I could cross the banks at night, without any modern navigation, just a DR plot on a chart, cuz those old depth sounders weren't too good at showing 8' versus 10' versus 12', etc.!}

Of course, the thin waters of the ICW and the Bahamas, is also where I learned that famous saying:
"There are two types of sailors....those that have run aground, and those that have lied about running aground!"

Anyway, thanks for reading my "Mom Stories".....

And, Ann...
On a side note, I'm tentatively planning on flying to NZ, Aus, HK, in Feb/March....although it's a air/land vaca, if I do make the trip, I will get in touch to get some recommends...

Fair winds...

John
Old 03-11-2017, 22:47   #315

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post

Anyway, thanks for reading my "Mom Stories".....

John
John, I just caught up on your "Mom stories!" Wow! Amazing stories I'd love to hear more about and more of! My own mom is 97 and still doing well and our family had a number of adventures, though not at sea, as I was growing up too. Those are just the kind of tales about great women I love to hear. I too was very lucky to have the mom I have too!!
I hope we can meet up someday in a beach bar somewhere to share more adventure stories of great moms, the days when one's location was not quite as certain as it is now, and family vacations without helmets, seat belts and safety harnesses!

BTW, what kind of boat was it that you had when you took on 17 passengers?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue