Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 09:19   #16

Boat: Caliber 47
Re: Coleman propane stove on board?

I’d really look at replacing the orifaces with propane orifaces . There is nothing like cooking on a built in stove vs humping a Coleman out of a locker whenever you want to use it ( or even if you “bungie “ it in place)

Setting up a proper propane system is not that hard. There is much written on the subject.

Also CNG becoming more plentiful. Look for filling locations in Norfolk area. One bottle can last a long time!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:22   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Bug View Post
With propane stoves inside cabins, ABYC standards indicate that an 8oz propane bottle can be left attached to the stove; 16oz bottles can be used below, but need to be removed when not in use.
We've been using a propane stove with 16oz bottles for over 13 years. We don't remove the bottles when done cooking, and have yet had a problem. When propane leaks, the smell is readily noticeable, at least on our boat. We also reload these bottles from an outside mounted 20lb bottle. The adaptor to do this came from Harbor Freight.
ok I used to do the same thing one bit of advice buy new " disposable" cylinders each year .
Three is plenty. ( the valves get weak and leak) Secondly get the gasketed caps for them .

Like these https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...xoCW7IQAvD_BwE
Its an added layer of safety.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:16   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Bug View Post
With propane stoves inside cabins, ABYC standards indicate that an 8oz propane bottle can be left attached to the stove; 16oz bottles can be used below, but need to be removed when not in use.
We've been using a propane stove with 16oz bottles for over 13 years. We don't remove the bottles when done cooking, and have yet had a problem. When propane leaks, the smell is readily noticeable, at least on our boat. We also reload these bottles from an outside mounted 20lb bottle. The adaptor to do this came from Harbor Freight.
I do much the same, single burner with 1# tank below and grill on rail with 20# tank. Caps for refilled tanks and attachment for refilling came from Amazon for little money. Never had a leak but the idea to replace the little tanks after a year or two seems reasonable. Mine show aignificant rust by then.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:06   #19

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I converted my CNG stove to propane. All the safety devices will work with either propane or CNG. I just had to change the jets. About $3.50 per jet for four burners and the oven. Not a huge cost. Not even an hour long job plus shopping. Later I found a used propane stove that I liked the appearance of better as it was stainless steel and sold the old one for $125 less. All those changes do not have to cost a lkt
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:24   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Another vote for an ORIGO stove. Its a proper marine stove, super simple, super safe, easy to install. Cheap, easy to find fuel.

I also had a CNG stove once. A great idea designed and implemented by people who have never been on a boat. Replace the stove...and you can get rid of the high pressure tanks, hoses, regulators, everything.

Cheap? Easy to find? I thought the Origo used alcohol. In fact, I KNOW it uses alcohol because I tried one.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:38   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

My experience with propane and MAPP gas containers is that they leak once you connect and disconnect a torch to them. Have 3 sitting in the garage that I used to do small plumbing jobs and then unscrewed the torch head and left them. When I've gone gack to use them, all were empty. It was quite a bit of time later but fresh tanks bought at the same time were still full. If you are going to disconnect the tank, store it outside the cabin where the gas can't migrate to the bilges.

It's doubtful that a single 8oz tank or even quite a few of these small tanks would contain enough gas to cause an issue. If you don't have an engine blower system or some active way to evacuate the gas, wonder if the gas could accumulate over time.

Saw canvas storage system to for the stern pulpit to hold the small containers. Looked like a good safe way to store multiple containers in a safe manner. Don't know if bag was water proof which could be a big thing if you are going to leave containers in the sack for any length of time. Have seen people make a storage container out of PVC pipe, end cap and screw cap.

Origo stoves come up fairly often on Ebay and Craig's list in major boating areas. Bought a NOS one burner drop-in for under a $100. Have regularly seen the two burner drop-ins for slightly more in various conditions. The counter top models seem to be more prevalent which would probably be better for stove top use. I wasn't a fan of alcohol stoves prefering kerosene but have been pleasantly surprized at the heat output of the Origo
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 13:11   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Cheap? Easy to find? I thought the Origo used alcohol. In fact, I KNOW it uses alcohol because I tried one.
the fuel is actually not that difficult to find . It is also a paint thinner sold in most general stores that sell paint.
Old 05-08-2018, 13:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I'd echo the mention of the Origo stove, save your pennies for one, I sure like mine. Granted it is 10x the price of the camp stove but it's complete, simple, no hoses, connections, tanks, solenoids or leaks to worry anyone. I trust my kids can cook on it and be ok. It is a little slower to cook than propane, but I've never felt it was too slow. It's alcohol but not pressurized. I used to have a pressurized alcohol stove many years ago. Now THAT was far more dangerous than a camp stove IMO!
I would agree based on my past experience with Origo, HOWEVER, when I got my new boat I bought a new Origo 2 burner stove top through West Marine. One of the burners wouldn't shut off but wasn't immediately apparent. (talk about dangerous) Took it back and they got in replacement. I opened at the store, same problem and store guy agreed. Replaced again, same problem. Appears to be a manufacturing problem having to do with the stamped linkages that operate the fuel shutter. I told them to give me refund and I would wait and see if the manufacturer fixed the problem.

Was in my local store last week, two boxes on the shelf (normally not stocked) manufacturer's special $90 off. I asked if those were two we sent back and they said yes and the manufacturer certified them. Well first one had same problem. Second one seemed to work so I purchased and so far so good.

So if you get Origo check the fuel shutter before leaving the store.
SFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 14:30   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
the fuel is actually not that difficult to find . It is also a paint thinner sold in most general stores that sell paint.
Alcohol is not paint thinner. Paint thinner used to be mineral spirits, a more refined petroleum product than kerosene. It will not burn in an Origo without a lot of smoke and may be difficult to light. You can substitute mineral spirits/paint thinner for kerosene but not alcohol. Just a note of warning, since the powers that be in California have decided everything causes cancer and oil based paints are close to raping your sister in moral turpitude, paint thinner may not be a kerosene substitute. Bought some supposedly eco friendly California approved special paint thinner for oil based paints the other day and it was crap. It wouldn't mix properly with the paint and was worthless for cleaning brushes. Didn't try to see if it would burn but almost seemed like it was water based. Stick with good old odorless Mineral Spriits if you are working with oil based paint or want a kerosene substitute for your stove.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 14:35   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Alcohol is not paint thinner. Paint thinner used to be mineral spirits, a more refined petroleum product than kerosene. It will not burn in an Origo without a lot of smoke and may be difficult to light. You can substitute mineral spirits/paint thinner for kerosene but not alcohol. Just a note of warning, since the powers that be in California have decided everything causes cancer and oil based paints are close to raping your sister in moral turpitude, paint thinner may not be a kerosene substitute. Bought some supposedly eco friendly California approved special paint thinner for oil based paints the other day and it was crap. It wouldn't mix properly with the paint and was worthless for cleaning brushes. Didn't try to see if it would burn but almost seemed like it was water based. Stick with good old odorless Mineral Spriits if you are working with oil based paint or want a kerosene substitute for your stove.
https://www.amazon.com/Klean-Strip-Q...29267330&psc=1
I should have been more specific
It is a good thinner for varnish and shellac.
Old 05-08-2018, 15:33   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
But not cheap. Diesel is way cheaper. Even kerosene is cheaper, I think. And it doesn't put out the heat that diesel or kero will. Diesel has a very high energy density. The Origo was clean, yeah. But the fuel evaporates even with the lid on, and it doesn't get hot enough to do simple things like sear a steak properly. It is a good match for some folks, I am sure, but me, I prefer diesel. Anyway, I think I would prefer either one, over a propane camp stove. The coleman on the boat is not a death sentence, but it is to me more risk than I will take, small though it may be, just to save a couple hundred bucks.

Actually my diesel burner does use alcohol. About a teaspoon full, to light it off. The alcohol heats up the diesel and vaporizes it so it will burn properly in the burner without smoke and odor. But I always have everclear onboard anyway. It is very handy for many things.
Old 05-08-2018, 15:37   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
But not cheap. Diesel is way cheaper. Even kerosene is cheaper, I think. And it doesn't put out the heat that diesel or kero will. Diesel has a very high energy density. The Origo was clean, yeah. But the fuel evaporates even with the lid on, and it doesn't get hot enough to do simple things like sear a steak properly. It is a good match for some folks, I am sure, but me, I prefer diesel. Anyway, I think I would prefer either one, over a propane camp stove. The coleman on the boat is not a death sentence, but it is to me more risk than I will take, small though it may be, just to save a couple hundred bucks.

Actually my diesel burner does use alcohol. About a teaspoon full, to light it off. The alcohol heats up the diesel and vaporizes it so it will burn properly in the burner without smoke and odor. But I always have everclear onboard anyway. It is very handy for many things.
yes everglades is good to have onboard especially when mixed 1 part to 4 parts water .
But it is different than denatured alcohol sold as thinner and stove fuel
Old 05-08-2018, 15:43   #28

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Most larger metro areas now have CNG available usually at gasoline stations in certain industrial areas. More and more buses and commercial fleets are using CNG. These are self service pumps, to be able to use the pump, you first must view a 'training film" on the pump itself. Below is an Ebay link to purchase a $150 adaptor that allows you to fill a boat tank from the pump.

CNG is a safe , excellent cooking fuel that your boat is already set up to use.
I recommend you spend the $150 and use your CNG system instead of this sketchy camp stove thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sail-Boat-C...sid=m570.l1313
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 15:47   #29

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I’ve used camping stoves on a few boats and also purchased a fairly inexpensive drop in marine stove which I hooked up to a 1 lb. cylinder. I found this very workable for short cruises of 2 month duration or less. True, this is not the cheapest way to buy fuel, but still my fuel costs were only about $8/month, so it was still very economical.

The camping stoves, eventually got rusty which is why I eventually purchased a fairly inexpensive marine stove on one boat. I’ve used the Origo stoves but personally prefer propane.

You can buy inexpensive propane cylinder storage bags that can be fixed between the horizontal tubes of a pulpit if you don’t have a vented locker. Also note you can buy brass screw caps to help seal partially used, detached bottles, but I still wouldn’t store these indoors.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 20:26   #30
gwy

Boat: Paceship32

That is exactly what we do, 32’ boat. Have a gimbaled 3 burner pressurized alcohol stove and can’t stand the smell. Set a 2 burner Coleman on it and wired it to the stove, use the one pound propane bottles and leave it connected while on the boat- they leak more with the connect and disconnect than if connected and left. Yes check it regularly with soapy water. It works fine until we either change the burners and build a vented propane locker or get an Origo unpressurized alcohol stove, which is more costly yet better idea. Bottom line, use caution, pay attention, and go for it.
gwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, stove