Hi GM.....where can i buy one those stoves? thanks
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:14   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Coleman propane stove on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
Hi GM.....where can i buy one those stoves? thanks
Try St Paul Mercantile, for the Butterfly brand pressure stove.

https://stpaulmercantile.com/all-ker...qofupjsg5nc0h6

This is listed as a kerosene stove because in most third world countries, diesel is taxed heavily while kerosene is considered a necessity. However it does burn diesel quite nicely as long as it is good clean low sulfur road diesel.Don't run this with the boat closed up, though. It produces more CO than propane whether burning kerosene or diesel.

I have a SeaSwing stove gimbal set up for this stove. Right now it is put away because I removed it from my previous boat and have not yet installed it in my Roberts. But you will need to secure this in some manner for use onboard. Remember, this is not a proper marine stove any more than a propane camp stove is.

There is an aftermarket regulated burner that is a good, almost essential upgrade. Hansa was the brand name, as I recall. The stock Butterfly 2412 is a "roarer" stove. You can hear it and know it's flame intensity by the sound level. With the regulated burner, it is nearly silent. You may prefer the roarer as more safe, or the regulated so you don't have to adjust as often.

Similarly, many backpacker type stoves will run on various fuels. I have two that will burn white gas or coleman fuel, or unleaded road gasoline, or kerosene or diesel. Two different orifices make this possible. These use an external fuel bottle. Be sure to label your fuel bottle with the contents! There is a priming wick and you COULD start this stove without alcohol but it is crazy smokey when you do that. I suggest everclear or generic equivelant, so in a pinch you can drink it.Paint remover methylated spirits are maybe cheaper but of course you can't mix cocktails with it. The backpacker stoves are a bit fiddly but they put out good heat. You will need a good mount AND something to hold the pot you are cooking in.

There are true marine grade diesel stoves, but they are not cheap. Generally they vent the exhaust outside so if you have good CO detectors you should be good to go. They can be used for heating the boat, too, sometimes with an add-on kit.

Tags
propane, stove