Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 12:38   #121
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Boatie, a percussion cap is a whole lot easier
I was just remembering the tissue paper, rice paste, gunpowder and flint chips firecrackers I'd fire at taxi's/rickshaws back wheels with my catapult to make them screech to a halt and run around checking their tyres.. great fun

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 13:04   #122
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I was just remembering the tissue paper, rice paste, gunpowder and flint chips firecrackers I'd fire at taxi's/rickshaws back wheels with my catapult to make them screech to a halt and run around checking their tyres.. great fun
A seriously mis-spent youth
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 13:21   #123

Boat: Lancer 45... 45

I have seen this thread topic a few times pop up now and figure I would join it. Aboard my ship I carry a 12 gauge shotgun with bird spray. A full auto ak 47 with two full hundred round drums. A Israeli uzi and always a few friends. Piracy is something that does happen and everyone should have a plan for it. Let them board and take all my things and hope they leave... not going to happen. Much rather flip open a Steven king book and prepare to feed the forest.
SetsunaSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 13:29   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you read history, you will find that weapons aboard sailing ships and sailing yachts has always been the standard. It seeming "contrary to the philosophy of sailing" is a false feeling created by propaganda and government programming. It's just not true.
Historically that is quite correct. In the days of sail even non military, commercial vessels, in addition to pistols, muskets or rifles and plenty of cutlasses often carried cannons. Joshua Slocum was armed on his solo trip and it seemed to cause no questions at in any country he visited and in fact was, as you say, expected and needed to be armed in places like Tierra del Fuego.

However, can historical facts be considered a valid argument for how things are conducted today? I'm pretty sure showing up today with some kind of artillery on a private vessel would cause a good bit of excitement in almost any country.

Quote:
I was born & raised in Europe, served in uniform, was armed in Europe and now aboard.
I think you would admit that as a European you are atypical. Much more common for Americans to go armed than Europeans.

Quote:
Almost every country in the world allows you to arrive in your sailboat carrying a shotgun. Yes you must declare it and they may even take it from you for the duration of your stay (most don't) but you will sail away armed again. It is not just pirates, it can also be for wildlife protection (you're expected to bring a gun when sailing to Greenland) or even for providing safety in the aftermath of natural disasters. I have seen it all.
Generally true but there are a few exceptions to this where even if you declare a weapon on arrival you might end up in trouble. Also when they take it from you occasionally it doesn't come back. I checked into Jamaica with a very nice large frame, SS Smith and Wesson .357. Was taken by Jamaican customs but when I was ready to leave they couldn't seem to locate it.

By the way, I understand that to visit Svalbard you are not expected to carry a rifle but required to. Guess the locals don't like the bears getting used to eating visitors.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 13:39   #125

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If having a tired old boat, looking poor, and not flashing cash or bling is a good deterrent, then I should be pretty safe just about anyplace. Maybe if I show them my bank statements they might send a few dollars my way...do you know if they are hiring?
I'd not thought of that. Where can I apply as a pirate's assistant, at least part time?
Old 10-02-2017, 13:41   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
By the by.. one can make a simple impact home made detonator for your crossbow bolts.. a 50/50 mix of gunpowder and flint chips in the last inch or two of the tube tamped with a slightly extruding metal/alloy piece of rod which will be driven inwards creating compression and causing the flint chips to spark.. also score the alloy bolt 5 or 6 times along the length.. this will cause a banana effect when it blows increasing the spread of shot.. for a peaceable guy I'm pretty evil..
From another peaceable guy that has fun with things that go boom, bet you would have fun with my replica ship's cannon. Barrel over 2' long and will shoot a 1" lead ball through a 32" pine tree.
Old 10-02-2017, 14:09   #127
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
From another peaceable guy that has fun with things that go boom, bet you would have fun with my replica ship's cannon. Barrel over 2' long and will shoot a 1" lead ball through a 32" pine tree.
Way better than a bow and arrow
Do you have a replica gun port in the hull and a little replica gun deck to run it out when required?

For the OP, maybe all that is needed is some gun ports set into the hull, painted red of course
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 15:36   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Way better than a bow and arrow
Do you have a replica gun port in the hull and a little replica gun deck to run it out when required?

For the OP, maybe all that is needed is some gun ports set into the hull, painted red of course
Have not dared set it up on the boat, with or without a port. The couple of times I fired it with a ball I was pretty amazed at the recoil. Would definitely require a bit of reinforcing or it could rip the deck off the boat.

HOWEVER, if one did have this sucker on a boat AND manage to hit a pirate's boat it would certainly get their attention. Of course it's a one shot, muzzle loader so you wouldn't get too many tries if they were coming after you. Then again just the bang and cloud of smoke might be a deterrent.
Old 10-02-2017, 15:46   #129
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Have not dared set it up on the boat, with or without a port. The couple of times I fired it with a ball I was pretty amazed at the recoil. Would definitely require a bit of reinforcing or it could rip the deck off the boat.

HOWEVER, if one did have this sucker on a boat AND manage to hit a pirate's boat it would certainly get their attention. Of course it's a one shot, muzzle loader so you wouldn't get too many tries if they were coming after you. Then again just the bang and cloud of smoke might be a deterrent.
What you need is a steel Van de Stadt..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 16:53   #130
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
However, can historical facts be considered a valid argument for how things are conducted today? I'm pretty sure showing up today with some kind of artillery on a private vessel would cause a good bit of excitement in almost any country.

The opposite was argued: that it was against tradition to carry arms so I just explained why that was fake... like most things nowadays :-)

Quote:
I think you would admit that as a European you are atypical. Much more common for Americans to go armed than Europeans.
There is much more legal gun ownership in Europe than people think. Plenty of us have been in the army, navy, airforce, police etc. and thus used to have guns. The problem is when leaving the countrywith your sailboat: you can't take the guns with you so they get sold. Then it becomes harder to buy legally outside of your home country.

Quote:
Generally true but there are a few exceptions to this where even if you declare a weapon on arrival you might end up in trouble. Also when they take it from you occasionally it doesn't come back. I checked into Jamaica with a very nice large frame, SS Smith and Wesson .357. Was taken by Jamaican customs but when I was ready to leave they couldn't seem to locate it.
The two big exceptions I know of are Mexico and the USA. For the USA you can (in advance) do the paperwork with ATF but not with Mexico.
Nice guns are tempting, which is why I recommend a simple shotgun with various shells.

Quote:
By the way, I understand that to visit Svalbard you are not expected to carry a rifle but required to. Guess the locals don't like the bears getting used to eating visitors.

I didn't write that because I'm not sure if that is still how it works. It used to be that your first entry you could rent a rifle but the 2nd time you really had to bring your own. Magnum slugs in a shotgun was minimum power requirement IIRC.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 16:57   #131
RPZ

Can we start a gun thread? I'm tired of bows and arrows....
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:00   #132

Boat: MacGregor X 26'

I have a book on the life of a (3rd?) generation relative "Captain Joseph Wickes" who sailed for the Queen, and captured pirate ships, and returned with the goods for the Queen. Now Navies are going after them. I'll settle for just defending my own.
Perew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:02   #133

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Can we start a gun thread? I'm tired of bows and arrows....
Better yet, let's start a Foul Smelling Liquid Thread .
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:12   #134

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I'm not sure it would be much good against pirates but I'd love to have a bow and arrows on board (and know how to use them) for shooting chickens, goats and pigs here in French Polynesia. Just this morning I'd have had an opportunity to get one right from the deck of the boat. Some kind of spear for catching fish is invaluable (gun, pole spear, hawaiian sling etc.), though it's usefulness is limited in areas where ciguatera poisoning is rife.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 05:20   #135

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

watch this video:

Easy made by master - Ivan Selivanov - bazuka with less than $10 spent and 15mins time. Foam cleaner spray
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote