Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2020, 07:41   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Automatic or Manual life vest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
hmmm...i'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time wearing / working in a l/jacket have you ?
Beat me to it .

It's a good point that one should don a full, proper Type I lifejacket when things start to go sideways. They are cumbersome and hard to work in, but they are safer should you go over.

Problem is, they are cumbersome and hard to work in, therefore they don't get worn very often, and soon find themselves at the bottom of the sail locker. If these are the only lifejacket options, nothing tends to be worn most of the time.

Contrast this to a good inflatable. It is comfortable and inobtrusiveness. It isn't the best lifejacket, but it is the best one most people will wear most of the time. I view it similar to my leatherman, which I call my most important tool on board. It's rarely the best tool, but it usually the one I have on hand when needed.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:56   #62

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Automatic or Manual life vest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Beat me to it .

It's a good point that one should don a full, proper Type I lifejacket when things start to go sideways. They are cumbersome and hard to work in, but they are safer should you go over.

Problem is, they are cumbersome and hard to work in, therefore they don't get worn very often, and soon find themselves at the bottom of the sail locker. If these are the only lifejacket options, nothing tends to be worn most of the time.

Contrast this to a good inflatable. It is comfortable and inobtrusiveness. It isn't the best lifejacket, but it is the best one most people will wear most of the time. I view it similar to my leatherman, which I call my most important tool on board. It's rarely the best tool, but it usually the one I have on hand when needed.
The best life vest is the one you will wear. If someone is willing to wear a Type I non-inflating vest all the time even on long passages even when the sun is blasting hot then great but that high buoyancy Type I doesn't so much good when it is in the locker and you are in the drink.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote