Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 21:54   #31

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2
Re: Automatic or Manual life vest?

In 20 years of ocean racing on experienced an unwanted inflation when we poked the nose of the boat and the foredeckie throw a 5m wave

Would suggest auto
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:29   #32

Boat: Outremer 55L

For anyone on a monohull with relatively high risk of boom strike then auto inflation (hydrostatic as mentioned before) probably should be the go-to system.

For those on multihulls where boom strike is generally a non-existent problem, but escaping from an overturned cockpit, salon or hull could happen, then manual inflation only. If you really want an auto inflate then be prepared to deflate it if needed and then manually reinflate it.

If sailing in cold water where cold shock is an issue then auto, regardless of boat type.

Spray hoods are very useful and if it’s windy pretty much the only way to breathe normally.

Crotch straps are generally only for keeping the life jacket from floating over your head in the water and probably NOT for lifting - make sure you know what kind you’ve got.

Tether must have quick release at your end so you can release if you’re being dragged.

Integrated harness is easier to use than a separate one. But it won’t be a chest harness and most likely can’t be used to lift you.

Knife, light, whistle are required items and take up very little space. AIS beacon, radio, drogue, flares, etc are add-ons and while useful can add uncomfortable bulk. Figure out how your MOB procedures will work and what you’d want to help.

Consider the volume. 150kN is minimum, 170 and 190 more common for offshore, and 220 and 290 for cold regions where you’re going to be wearing a lot of gear and need more flotation. But the larger the flotation the bulkier and heavier the folded life jacket and the bigger the bladder in front of your body. You may need to partially deflate the bladder to climb into a life raft or back on board.

Practice!! Take an open water survival course, or at very least jump into a pool or lake or ocean with and without weather gear">foul weather gear and learn what it feels like and how it works. The first time to inflate your life jacket should not be the first time you fall overboard for real.

Test your inflatable regularly - manually inflate it at least once a year to ensure the bladder is in good condition. Learn to repack it and how to rearm it. Carry spares.

A life jacket solves only half the problem - keeping you able to breathe and afloat in the water. Think and plan for the second part of bringing the person in the water back on board.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:56   #33

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i prefer manual.

have you ever tried to swim with a lifejacket on ?

but ALWAYS fit crotch strap to your life jacket. if you don't think this is necessary, inflate one in the water and see what happens without

strobe as well of course

btw, we replace our co2 cartridges regularly however i routinely see l/jackets that are 7 years or more out of date inflate normally, and stay inflated for days and days - assuming the l/jacket has been reasonably cared for. look after it and it will look after you !

cheers,
Old 03-08-2020, 07:06   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
...If sailing in cold water where cold shock is an issue then auto, regardless of boat type.

Spray hoods are very useful and if it’s windy pretty much the only way to breathe normally.

Integrated harness is easier to use than a separate one. But it won’t be a chest harness and most likely can’t be used to lift you.
Good points. Most of my cruising has been in cold water. Immersion brings instant jolt that can debilitate at times. An auto-inflate is pretty important here.

My current old Mustang has a built in harness. I like it a lot and likely use it more than if I had to don a separate harness. My replacement jacket will have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
have you ever tried to swim with a lifejacket on ?
Any good lifejacket is going to be hard to swim in. Its primary role is to keep you floating and breathing. But I suppose some are better than others.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:28   #35

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I also prefer a manual lifejacket ... because then I can also use it in my dinghy. For my dinghy use (rowing to/from shore), I'm most at risk when climbing in/out of the dinghy from the boat, or tripping while landing/launching from a rocky beach ... and in neither of those circumstances do I want my lifejacket exploding automatically into a big clumsy ruff when I'm within arms reach of the ladder or in knee deep water.

I suppose a better solution would be to keep a separate foam pfd for the dinghy. But I'm always tethered while underway, so hopefully a low risk of falling in then.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 14:53   #36

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Here in NZ, like in many countries, inflatable lifejackets have a disadvantage of whether they're counted or not. My boat came with a ludicrous number of foam lifejackets stuffed behind various settees, I think the surveyor stopped counting at 15...

Obviously these are the best things to use when kayaking, on a sailing dinghy, or anywhere else there's a distinct likelihood (and little threat to life) of going in the water. The inflatable ones are for use when you really really don't want to go in the water at all.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:04   #37

In Canada inflatables are not considered lifejackets unless worn. You don't have to wear a lifejacket all the time on board, but you do have to have an appropriate lifejacket available for all crew.

An inflatable that is sitting in the cockpit doesn't count, but an old keyhole foamy jacket that is buried in the sail locker does -- to use a not-so-random-example .
Old 03-08-2020, 15:24   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Any good lifejacket is going to be hard to swim in. Its primary role is to keep you floating and breathing. But I suppose some are better than others.
my comment (which was a bit cryptic i admit) was meaning that with a manual l/j you have the option of swimming clear before choosing when to inflate. with an auto you can get trapped

but perhaps this is more relevant to our situation of a catamaran in relatively warm water

cheers,
Old 03-08-2020, 15:28   #39

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
In Canada inflatables are not considered lifejackets unless worn. You don't have to wear a lifejacket all the time on board, but you do have to have an appropriate lifejacket available for all crew.

An inflatable that is sitting in the cockpit doesn't count, but an old keyhole foamy jacket that is buried in the sail locker does -- to use a not-so-random-example .
I believe it has to be "readily accessible", so buried in a locker might not count.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:29   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Here in NZ, like in many countries, inflatable lifejackets have a disadvantage of whether they're counted or not. My boat came with a ludicrous number of foam lifejackets stuffed behind various settees, I think the surveyor stopped counting at 15...

Obviously these are the best things to use when kayaking, on a sailing dinghy, or anywhere else there's a distinct likelihood (and little threat to life) of going in the water. The inflatable ones are for use when you really really don't want to go in the water at all.
fortunately they are counted here in Oz

but we also keep a whole bunch of solid foam (board of trade style) l/jackets for when we have extra visitors onboard for a lunch harbour cruise. would never seriously use such though !

cheers,
Old 03-08-2020, 15:30   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

I used to say automatic - until mine inflated while I was wearing it.

I have converted mine to manual then, but my crew's one is auto.

I think if we end up in the dip, these can be two different situations, and I am 100% certain I want to be able to swim.

My vest doubles as my harness, so different choices than when you have split kit.

My next step will be give away the auto vest and invest in a HQ neoprene one.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 16:37   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I believe it has to be "readily accessible", so buried in a locker might not count.

It did in the example I'm thinking of.
Old 03-08-2020, 17:08   #43

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I must be the odd one then again, but I come at it from my years as a commercial river guide where I had a good whitewater life jacket, paddling jacket in my case, on all the time and got pretty used to it, and I needed it from time to time. I can wear my harness underneath it and I have a knife and pockets for light, whistle, gloves and PLB too. It may look bulky, but it is comfy and I am used to it. If I need to get out from under something I can remove it quickly and I have a snap shackle on the harness for quick release if necessary there too. I can't think of a negative other than a line could get snagged on my knife, but it too is quick release of course. Oh, and I can generally swim pretty well with it on too. There must be something wrong with it though since I never see anyone else wearing them.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 18:57   #44

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I must be the odd one then again, but I come at it from my years as a commercial river guide where I had a good whitewater life jacket, paddling jacket in my case, on all the time and got pretty used to it, and I needed it from time to time. I can wear my harness underneath it and I have a knife and pockets for light, whistle, gloves and PLB too. It may look bulky, but it is comfy and I am used to it. If I need to get out from under something I can remove it quickly and I have a snap shackle on the harness for quick release if necessary there too. I can't think of a negative other than a line could get snagged on my knife, but it too is quick release of course. Oh, and I can generally swim pretty well with it on too. There must be something wrong with it though since I never see anyone else wearing them.

River life jackets for paddling sports do not turn the wearer onto their back. That action, which generally means a large solid or inflatable form behind the neck, is a required feature for a certified boating life jacket. That’s why you don’t see many (and?) sailors using them.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 21:28   #45

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well there are certified boating PFDs that come in Type I, III and V. At least in my case I cannot make myself float face down, and since I have used it in whitewater I am pretty confident with it. There are a few different "paddling" or whitewater jackets that are type V, special use, high flotation. Those used by guides and rescuers are typically in that category with over 22 lbs of flotation. And there are Type I whitewater jackets as well. But yes, a typical type III will not be as likely to hold you face up or hold your head up when on your back.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote