Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 16:00   #121

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Tager
Back to the original issue...
Score the bottle with a glass cutter, that'll help it break on impact. Fling it, then use the flare gun.

BTW
I was checking out "Maxing Out - Exit Only" on youtube and came across a segment of the pre-Red Sea passage where they had heard over the radio that 2 pirates boats (wood) had a shootout with some yachties and LOST. Good job guys.

and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 11-05-2010, 16:08   #122

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Yes this thread just way out of hand. And I hope a nameless Earth resident finds a nice quiet place to sail off to where there aren't any others so all can be safe.

I VOTE FOR THREAD CLOSURE.............PRETTY PLEASE!
If it bothered you so much why did you post to it? Just don't look at it and leave the rest of us to discuss it as we please.

Sabre
Old 11-05-2010, 16:27   #123

Boat: Westsail 32
Thumbs down

When I saw the original post for this thread, the first thought that came to mind was how asinine can you get? I incorrectly assumed that this thread would be banished to obscurity in short order. What a surprise tonight when I saw this useless junk of a thread still breathing life. So this is what it has come to on the Cruisers Forum, a discussion on an improvised incendiary device that entire function is to burn someone horribly to death> A couple of questions come to mind:1.) What the hell does this thread have to do with the cruising lifestyle?, 2.) Where are the moderators when this type of useless mindless dribble is posted?
Old 11-05-2010, 16:39   #124
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
If it bothered you so much why did you post to it? Just don't look at it and leave the rest of us to discuss it as we please.

Sabre

This is your second post to the thread, doesn't appear to be a topic you are "discussing"!
Old 11-05-2010, 17:57   #125
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Many years ago I was taught the second method in the art of self defense. The instructor lined us up and then screamed "Run" at us. Eventually, after a few goes, we were off like sprinters. He then revealed that running away as fast as you could was the second best method of self defense. You kept your skin whole and got out of trouble.

Does anyone want to guess what the "first rule of self defense" was? It's already been mentioned several times in this thread.
Sounds like you need a new instructor. common sense kinda dictates the whole stay out of trouble and run away if you can bit.
I got more common sense lessons if you want, might even give for free.
Old 11-05-2010, 18:57   #126

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
"How asinine can you get?"

One hundred and ten percent.
Old 11-05-2010, 19:57   #127

Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its a great idea however theres some practical difficulties the movies don't show you.

Drop a full wine bottle on stone and see what happens. Unless thrown very hard it wont break.
Champagne bottles used in ship launchings have had a etch made so they will fracture.

Throwing something at the bad guys and hoping it will hit and break is too difficult imho.

Carefully look at you little orange box of legal onboard pyrotechnics and work out how each can be effectively used to change the mind of someone assaulting you or your boat.

You are not trying to kill your assailants, just trying to change their minds.

Have a look at our security door:

The 3 common types of flares: rocket, smoke and hand flares can all be used THROUGH that security door. You safely in your saloon using your defences in a manner that should change the minds of your assailants whilst helping notify others close to you of an emergency.

Work it out more ideas for yourself. A creative mind is a wonderful thing!

These same measures can be used before a boat comes alongside. They come close and you will find a rocket flare close to their ears will have an interesting effect, whilst at the same time you have smoke canisters going off on you deck. If they want to come on board pop a few hand flares into their boat. Just like grenades you pull the pin and they go off after 3 seconds. A nice amount of time for them to be totally confused as to whats happening. Helpful too if you can get it near their fuel tanks.

We also have other defenses for boats trying to catch up to us. Lots of ideas that are not illegal and will work

Mark

Beautifull Grating its exactly what I am looking for, where can I buy some for same purpose as in your Picture------Cheers
Old 11-05-2010, 20:37   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Many years ago I was taught the second method in the art of self defense. The instructor lined us up and then screamed "Run" at us. Eventually, after a few goes, we were off like sprinters. He then revealed that running away as fast as you could was the second best method of self defense. You kept your skin whole and got out of trouble.

Does anyone want to guess what the "first rule of self defense" was? It's already been mentioned several times in this thread.
Sh*t your drawers. I sure wouldn't want to take a hostage who'd just shat there drawers and never mind hand to hand combat. Ewww ...

Old 11-05-2010, 21:42   #129

Boat: Swan 56
This is what you need:

Is it just coincidence that the Swiss Army hasn't lost a war in the last 200 years?

I think not.
Old 11-05-2010, 22:08   #130
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
my first line of defense:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leatherman_skeletool.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	16035  
Old 11-05-2010, 22:16   #131
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Yes this thread just way out of hand. And I hope a nameless Earth resident finds a nice quiet place to sail off to where there aren't any others so all can be safe.

I VOTE FOR THREAD CLOSURE.............PRETTY PLEASE!
I have very little patience for those who beg for a thread to be closed. Especially in ALL CAPS.

Let the mods do their jobs, pretty please. In the meantime, if a thread doesn't engage you, simply tune out.
Old 11-05-2010, 23:14   #132

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
To Cburger, who's question is: What does this thread have to do with the cruising lifestyle?

I would put it to you that it is very relevant. We are all sailing or planning to sail to various spots in the world where the locals look at us as meal tickets of one sort or another. This thread attempts to provide some answers. It may be way out there but it still has relevant. Perhaps you would be happier if we all just went and ignored the possibility of attack until it comes up and bites you in the butt?

Here you go Don, reply number 3.

Several ideas have been put forth. The classic molotov is still the simplest. Bottles full of gasoline with a wick. However, I am inclined to agree with the notion that some bottles are very difficult to break. I would suggest that standard food jars, such as mayonaisse jars, or something similar, with a very thin glass would be idea. A small jar like a seafood sauce jar will fit in the hand well and lend itself to be thrown a good distance. The seals seem to work well, even with flammable liquids for a period of time and if monitored for leakage or fumes should pose no problem to being made up and stored in a deck locker for use. I agree that tossing a wine bottle into a wood or fiberglas boat may not result in breakage. However, small battery powered etching tools are readily available and could make the glass quite easily breakable. If the contents were self igniting, I think they would do the job quite well. A sudden fire in a small skiff could be sufficiently overwhelming to cause the pirates to give up.

I think the idea here is to overwhelm the opposition. What was the term they used at the beginning of the Iraqi Invasion? Shock and Awe. Very loud very sudden noise and lights. For this reason, I would hesitate to use insect spray or a pressure washer. Not enough shock and awe. Insect spray in the face from inside the cabin would be a hell of a tool against someone trying to get in to the cabin, and not at all likely to spook the local law when they check out your boat.

Shooting gasoline out of a pressure washer might be an idea if you set it up for ready use on deck. The fuel might destroy the pump after a while but you should be able to get a good spray going. The problem is again, ignition and not enough volume for shock and awe. The first whiff of gasoline and the opposition would probably start shooting.

How about flash-bangs? Loud, bright and very disabling. Usually not fatal. Another thought is home made claymores mounted on the outside of the hull. A curved plate with a layer of propellant, and a layer of ball bearings. Electrical detonation.

comments?

Sabre
Old 12-05-2010, 00:46   #133

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
However, small battery powered etching tools are readily available and could make the glass quite easily breakable. If the contents were self igniting, I think they would do the job quite well. A
Self igniting, petrol bombs in very fragile containers...

Old 12-05-2010, 02:31   #134

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
If properly stored and secured they would be not much more dangerous than having a properly stored and secured gasoline on board. What with a mess of 12v circuits just itching to make a spark.

Now, how to have them at the ready while looking like pickles.

I am also going to install a 12v electric fence before cruising anywhere sketchy.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03   #135

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
The problem with the proposed incindiary(sp?) devices, is that you have no delivery system.