Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2007, 01:45   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
You Know Your Boat Is too Small when . . .

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/mickmul/Desktop/pic32609.jpg[/IMG]
Old 21-12-2007, 01:47   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
sorry folks, tried to post a cool pic, but cant do it . . please remove this thread
Old 21-12-2007, 02:39   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The photo you have linked to is on your computer. you can't 'link' to it, but you can attach it, or upload it.

do I sound like a geek?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 03:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Do you mean ...
How To Tell If Your Boat Is Too Small
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOAT.TooSmall.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2302  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 08:04   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Looks like time to toss a hook in the water and do The Old Man in the Sea routine, and go for one hell of a ride...As long as it doesn't decide to turn around and have lunch. But it is an eating machine so that might not be to good of an idea. Hell of a story to tell at the bar if you lived.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 11:50   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord, that boat looks big enough. Never did meet a shark that couldn't be cured with a hand grenade.

Ecology is nice concept--but only one terminal predator gets to enjoy enforcing it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 12:11   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Gord, that boat looks big enough. Never did meet a shark that couldn't be cured with a hand grenade.

Ecology is nice concept--but only one terminal predator gets to enjoy enforcing it.
Hopefully, this is only hyperbole. If you've ever actually done it, you've broken a long list of laws.

For those who haven't already done so, here's a link to the Snopes.com confirmation that the photo is genuine.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Follower

and:
White Shark Trust for Research and Conservation of the Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
TaoJones
Old 21-12-2007, 12:43   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tao, I'd never waste a grenade on a shark. Good grenades are expensive, you know. Heck, even a good shark rifle is expensive, hand loads in thirty caliber can run a buck apiece, and fifty caliber...damn, you're looking at four bucks even for surplus round.

More seriously...When it comes to laws versus jaws, I can't ignore the pointy things trying to bite into me. Don't intend to let them close enough in the first place, and anyone who has a problem with that, can prove they really support the ecology--but coming along and jumping in between me and Mr. Jaws, to save him on their own.

I had the same attittude about scorpions in the desert: Anyone found in my boots or bedding, was going to be dead. As long as they stayed away under rocks, I wasn't going to go looking for them--or bothering them. But on MY TURF? That's a dead line, don't cross it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 12:58   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you, Gord (just a guess), for the appended link to the White Shark Trust page.

TaoJones
Old 21-12-2007, 13:46   #10

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I've actually done that. Been in a canoe and was checked out by a shark larger than the canoe.

Off of Cape Sable, Florida. When we got back, the park ranger said no way, great whites aren't in that area.

But then while SCUBA diving in Alaska I heard about divers seeing great whites in the inside passage and the experts denied that too. A couple of years later a fisherman pulled up a huge great white. Made all the papers. Proved the divers right and the experts wrong.

BTY, it was tense being in that canoe. Not something I'm in a hurry to repeat. My girlfriend was a tad bit freaked out.
Old 21-12-2007, 13:59   #11

Boat: 36' custom steel
I left out some of the context, which made the incident with our big shark even more interesting. We had camped on the Cape, having arrived via the interior. The route back was via the ocean.

When we put in that morning, we paddled right through some dark, sudsy water where three or four small sharks had made a kill. One of them bit the front of the aluminum canoe. Stopped the canoe cold. Big splash. Lot's of excitment, not exactly the invited kind.

About an two hours later and way offshore (for a canoe), a huge shark cleared the water about twenty feet from us and we looked eyeball to eyeball at each other.

I just happen to be looking where he breached, so I saw the entire thing. It's kind of burnt into my brain forever.

We were taking a break eating oranges. After the shark went under we waited for a Moby Dick imitation. When nothing happened, we put the oranges down and paddles like hell for shallow water.
Old 21-12-2007, 15:45   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post

Off of Cape Sable, Florida. When we got back, the park ranger said no way, great whites aren't in that area.
OOHHH!!

My turn. No one believes it though.

12 miles WNW of Weeki Wachee in 10 ft. of water hooked something. Reeling in line went pretty slack. It was a grouper's head............and right behind was a hammer head shark. I was standing in the middle of the boat and when the shark saw it, it turned a 180. When the shark was 90 it was longer than the boat. The wife was reading a book and jumped up upon my expletive and saw only a glimpse of a receding tail. The 8 year old was on the other side of the boat and did not come over. The 7 year old was 2 ft from me as I reeled. After the turn he put his pole down and went and sat down next to his mom saying "I am all finished fishing Mom".

The boat was a 21 ft Hurricane deck boat.

No one believes me.

Oh well.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 16:03   #13

Most any boat is too small when you see this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanker-head-on.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	2307  
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 17:07   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The shark photo looks like a nice case of impartial journalism. Obviously the photog is on a very tall ship to get that angle. Not interested in helping the kayaker. More interested in capturing the "moment."

Thanks for nothing!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 17:21   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dan, click on this link: Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Follower and read the paragraph from the 2005 Africa Geographic article that explains the picture for a fuller understanding of what was going on.

TaoJones