Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 04:52   #46

Boat: Double-ended steel sloop, 39ft, ALK
Angry Re: where is the forward looking sonar at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBernard View Post
We have a B&G Forward Facing Sonar, and are pretty disappointed with it to be honest.

I bought it after reading an article in a sailing magazine which boldly stated that forward facing sonar was set to be the most significant development for cruising sailboats since the invention of roller furlers.

A big claim indeed.

We went into it with what I thought were realistic expectations. We knew it won’t help at cruising speeds (to avoid shipping containers, reefs or debris), instead we expected it to be particularly useful when going at low speeds in unfamiliar anchorages.

What we’ve found is that it provides many, many false positives - the display jumps around extremely erratically, to the extent that it becomes an unwelcome distraction at a time when you are on high alert and often consulting charts, google earth imagery, Mk1 eyeballs, traditional depth sounder etc etc.

It is also unreliable in terms of its unreliability! Sometimes it behaves calmly, and you can see a gradient ahead, other times the false positives and erratic behaviour renders it totally useless. And those two scenarios can happen on consecutive days in the same anchorage, and sometime even in consecutive minutes.

I should add that its behaviour is best when you are travelling at least than 2 knots in less than 10 m of water (so typical anchorage conditions), but the flaws I highlight above still manifest themselves.

In case you were wondering, this was a professional installation at a time when we replaced all of our instruments and plotters with B&G, so not a compatibility or installation issue so far as I can tell.

We do still turn it on in new anchorages, but I have learned to view its results with extreme caution, and have turned it off at times when it was becoming a distraction.

I wouldn’t buy it again if I had my time over.
My experience so far is exactly the same! I do not understand how a company with a good name like B&G dare to put a product on the market with such a serious defect!
Zeilzwerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 09:42   #47

Re: where is the forward looking sonar at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne hoath View Post
+1. Nice. Reminds me of the the USA inventing the ballpoint pen to write in space and the Russians taking a pencil. Sometimes the simplest answers are the best.
However, the reason behind that is the lead pencil created a fire hazard through led and wood dust that could harm electronics. The pen was to create a solution without the risk.
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 09:50   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: where is the forward looking sonar at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander4Wonder View Post
However, the reason behind that is the lead pencil created a fire hazard through led and wood dust that could harm electronics. The pen was to create a solution without the risk.
A pencil.. but good story..
Attached Images

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:19   #49

Boat: Fisher 37
where is the forward looking sonar at?

Created in error and can work out how to delete.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:26   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne hoath View Post
+1. Nice. Reminds me of the the USA inventing the ballpoint pen to write in space and the Russians taking a pencil. Sometimes the simplest answers are the best.

The ballpoint pen was invented by a Hungarian, not Americans, and was long invented and widely used before the first American went into space.

See: History of Ballpoint Pens – Who Invented Ballpoint Pen?

You're maybe thinking of the "Fisher Space Pen", which is a ballpoint with pressurized cartridges. But this was also not invented by Americans nor was the development funded by NASA -- an Austrian developed it using private capital, and sold the pens to NASA.

Lastly, the bit about the Russians taking the simple way with pencils unlike the U.S. is an urban legend -- both U.S. and Russian space programs used pencils at first, and both used the Fisher Space Pen later.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:56   #51

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

I have a B&G model. I do use it, but only in narrow circumstances. I use it in poorly charted unfamiliar anchorages, which is actually pretty often for us, so I’m glad I have it. I tend to use it when creeping around looking for a spot to Anchor. When I use it I tend not to be going more than 1 kt, but it does take a while to learn to interpret the output, it is not as straightforward as the videos would suggest. I can think of two occasions when it definitely kept us from running aground, so very glad to have it in the end.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 17:15   #52

It’s been a few years since the last reply, anyone had success with 3D forward sonar . Or have a recommendation based on their installation.
The cost of rudder repairs I am sure will be comparable to upgrading the current transducer and peace of mind navigating coral heads.
Warrencronulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 17:50   #53

We have always found that the best way to avoid coral heads is Eyeball Version 1.0

We have bumped bottom a lot in sand and mud, but never hit a coral head. I have yet to see a display on a forward looking sonar that helps with telling the difference between a sand bottom that is 2.2 meters and 1.9 meters deep 20 meters in front of the boat. We have ZERO trouble steering around coral heads when navigating in good light.

If you have lots of rudder repairs, maybe the problem is with the design/construction of your rudder?
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 18:58   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmay View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been doing a little bit of research on forward looking sonars / depth sounders. I was surprised to find few post debating the technology here on the forum and mostly 5 or 10 year old reviews elsewhere. Hence this post, to do a bit of probing (pun intended) as to your experience if you have one.

Has the technology gone through a fad but revealed to be disappointing?

Do you have one?

What sort of range do you think is useful, at what speed and how far from the coast?

And anything else you'd have to say

Fair winds!
We have the Echopilot FLS 3D. It's great kit, no doubt. I installed it a couple of years back thinking of the South Pacific. It's pretty believable, tests accurate, and the imagery is impressive. I doubt it would save you on passage but it's very useful for sneaking into an unknown nice and slow.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 21:12   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
We have always found that the best way to avoid coral heads is Eyeball Version 1.0

We have bumped bottom a lot in sand and mud, but never hit a coral head. I have yet to see a display on a forward looking sonar that helps with telling the difference between a sand bottom that is 2.2 meters and 1.9 meters deep 20 meters in front of the boat. We have ZERO trouble steering around coral heads when navigating in good light.

If you have lots of rudder repairs, maybe the problem is with the design/construction of your rudder?
On my yacht, we only approach coral heads at overhead full light slack tide using my normal Simrad sounder. But my cousin had a run in 2 days ago in his lagoon and now needs steering repairs. Hence my enquires.
Warrencronulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 12:11   #56

Boat: Beneteau/343

After the recent loss of 100 containers off of Vancouver island, this seems like a much more immediate discussion.

Assuming you are sailing along at 5-7knots how much warning could you expect of some really big hazard floating in the water?

What is the current state of the technology?
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 12:26   #57

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

do the math. at 5nm you're going roughly 500' per minute. maybe pick it up in optimum conditions 250' out, 30 seconds and if things are bouncy, strong currents etc much less.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 12:44   #58

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
do the math. at 5nm you're going roughly 500' per minute. maybe pick it up in optimum conditions 250' out, 30 seconds and if things are bouncy, strong currents etc much less.
This. 250' is kind. Also remember you have to be looking at the display, which means you aren't looking out the window, at charts, at radar, at AIS etc. In the real world there is a small role for forward looking sonar when anchoring (pretty expensive for just that in my view, not good value for money) but for collision avoidance I just don't see (ha!) it.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 13:04   #59

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
So not worth the effort or expense? Since you sail in some of the same places I do, you know that submerged logs are more of a risk.

I’m really asking questions rather than pushing an agenda.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 13:51   #60

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
So not worth the effort or expense? Since you sail in some of the same places I do, you know that submerged logs are more of a risk.

I’m really asking questions rather than pushing an agenda.
It depends what you want it to do. Picking your way around bommies at slow speed it has value and if you're singlehanding, a lot of value.

Avoiding things at high speed. Nope IMHO
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote