Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2021, 15:32   #61

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: where is the forward looking sonar at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
After the recent loss of 100 containers off of Vancouver island, this seems like a much more immediate discussion.

Assuming you are sailing along at 5-7knots how much warning could you expect of some really big hazard floating in the water?

What is the current state of the technology?
Seems to me unless there are ideal conditions this won't work for containers. The most common container is 8.5 feet high, we can assume floating flush with surface of the water. These containers were lost offshore, so there are waves/swell. The sonar does not look through air.

Logs are right out. (Holy Grail)
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:25   #62

Quite an old thread here but posting in case others find useful.

We have the b&g forward scanner in our catamaran and have found it very useful, albeit definitely not a replacement for the Mark 1 Eyeball. At first I found it rather unreliable but then identified that the cause was a bug that seems to have been around for years. The noise/clutter setting has an auto/ manual tick box option. On auto (ticked) it always sets the clutter too low so the depth is erratic. I set to manual (unticked) setting 4 (highest clutter reduction)

However, each time you turn the plotter off, next time you turn it back on it will still appear to be in manual but in reality is actually in auto but without the box ticked! To get it back into manual you need to tick then untick the auto box again and change to setting 4 for clutter/noise again. This is now part of my startup procedure before moving.
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:33   #63

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingKiwis View Post

We have the b&g forward scanner in our catamaran and have found it very useful, albeit definitely not a replacement for the Mark 1 Eyeball. At first I found it rather unreliable but then identified that the cause was a bug that seems to have been around for years. The noise/clutter setting has an auto/ manual tick box option. On auto (ticked) it always sets the clutter too low so the depth is erratic. I set to manual (unticked) setting 4 (highest clutter reduction)

However, each time you turn the plotter off, next time you turn it back on it will still appear to be in manual but in reality is actually in auto but without the box ticked! To get it back into manual you need to tick then untick the auto box again and change to setting 4 for clutter/noise again. This is now part of my startup procedure before moving.

I have been on the river with mine and assumed it was the current flow that was messing with the depth reading. Now I know better. I like B & G but their documentation absolutely sucks
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:33   #64

Does Raymarine have a forward looking sonar solution? I see it for B&G, Garmin, Echopilot. They have fish finders, but don't specifcally call out forward looking/scanning sonar.
wheelerwbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 17:22   #65

Boat: Prout Quasar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingKiwis View Post

I was looking at getting one, could you tell me what hull you put it in, and is it able to see a wide enough view that your other hull is covered ?

I have been trying to figure out if this would work for catamarans and can't find any answers. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:02   #66

Boat: Excalibur 36 (1963)

Hi Guys,

Just read the thread and slightly deflated.

I have a Bavaria 44 and have bought a B and G Forward scan transducer to read from my Zeus 3s.

Any tips useful? Fitting it this week, can anyone advise where to fit the unit on the above?

I understand it needs to be vertical, but reading people stating the dead rise angle (is this to keep it vertical?

Sorry for any ignorance on my part!

Many thanks for any help given in advising on mounting!
Alan Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:20   #67

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Vincent View Post
Any tips useful? Fitting it this week, can anyone advise where to fit the unit on the above?

I understand it needs to be vertical, but reading people stating the dead rise angle (is this to keep it vertical?

As close to the center line as possible, so it is not angled left or right. As you surmise the dead rise angle can be corrected in software, so a small one does not matter, although the closer to zero the better.

Best:
You can drill the hole "straight down" then add fairing inside and outside to fill both sides so that the sensor housing fits properly.

Okay:
A few degrees of dead rise.

Note that you want to mount it pretty much forward so it doesn't see the boat so much and you make the most of the range.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 07:33   #68

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

At the time of refitting our Nauticat 43 for cruising, B&G was the only option as the curve of a sailboat hull requires a long stem transducer to compensate for the fairing blocks needed inside and out for vertical installation.

Best located a bit ahead of, or even with the fin keel to allow it to scan sideways but minimize risk of catching underwater debris and to clear lift slings (though we remove it when hauling out).

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have a Bavaria 44 and have bought a B and G Forward scan transducer to read from my Zeus 3s.

SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:41   #69

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Hi Alan,

Since it is pertinent, I am linking to my reply to your other related post re:
"B and G Forward Scan Transducer mounting/installion on Bavaria 44"

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3799962

Best wishes with your install.

Cheers, Bill