Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 11:42   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 ft
Uncharted hazzard in Crystal River channel

Not sure where or how to post this safety notice. I have called the Coast Guard. Got transferred several times. Ended up with the FL fish and game. Transferred at least twice. finally talked to some one who said I would get a call. No call.

SAFETY NOTICE: About 3 months ago traveling out bound from Crystal River, FL following a buddy boat. At night but good conditions. Traveling in the channel with 7ft or more depth just left of the center of the channel I hit a solid object that stopped me dead. I busted my lip on the wheel. First Mate on the bow with spot light banged against the jib. Well padded but still hard impact. Did not ground.
Not sure what it was. In my Hunter Passage 42 I draw about 4 ft 11. Subsequent dive inspection shows large dent/impact in leading edge of keel about 3 1/2 to 4 ft below the water line. No other damage to keep boats etc found.
LOCATION was: N 28.54.786, W 82.39.149.

If traveling this area be very cautious close to these coordinates. If you know who to report this info to let me know.
gkunkle999 is offline   Reply With Quote