Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2008, 10:36   #1

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Question Crystal River Florida - local info?

Greetings, we are planning on sailing up to the Crystal River area during the first two weeks of August 08 for scallop season.

I've reviewed the charts and it is not abundantly clear as to any good protected anchorages there. Everything appears pretty shallow (I like 6' MLW to be happy) and something reasonably protected should a storm arise.

I've located a possible anchorage at 28 55.439 N 082 41.444 but I don't have up to date depth information. This spot is on the south side of the marked channel near the east side of Shell Island.

Has anyone ever used this location? Any local information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20-06-2008, 12:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Should be ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h2o_gauge_20080620_1430.png
Views:	233
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	3997  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 01:00   #3

Boat: PEARSON 422
Lannen,

Every summer, when the gulf gets to hot and cloudy to dive, my family and I take our little power boat up to Crystal River to dive kings spring and enjoy a little cool water. It was August of last year when we last went. There is an anchorage just on the north side of the island in the middle of Kings Bay (N28 53 449 W082 36 052) where there are always several, some large, boats anchored. A few summers ago i did the sounding along the river and up to that anchorage spot and found it deep enough for our sailboat(5.5 draft). There is decent protection from wind but I have no idea how good is the holding. Please take this info with a grain of salt as it has been three years since I did the sounding from the gulf to that anchorage.

I also would like to sail to Crystal River someday to test my theory about boats in cold(er) water. I want to see if a boat in 72deg water will stay cooler inside, during the summer, due to natural "air conditioning".
Old 21-06-2008, 03:22   #4

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Thanks Gord / Salty Dog,

I'll try going all the way up Crystal River. It looks like a great spot to spend a couple of days.

By the way SD... When I was in the Navy (a long time ago in a land far away) I was a boilermaker on an old Destroyer. The temps in the fireroom were always up over 100F until one day we went to the North Pacific. We had record lows in the fireroom of about 88F. Was that a great relief!

Cooler water on the hull really does make a difference!

Tags
florida