Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 13:22   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Traffic Separation Zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
"Not impede" is not the same as "giving way" in a risk of collision situation. It means you are supposed to stay so much out of the way that a risk of collision never arises in the first place, in order to entirely avoid any giving way/standing on collision avoidance dance. IF, nevertheless, a risk of collision arises and vessels are in sight of one another, even if it's due to your fault, then the other steering & sailing rules take over and you must do the dance as specified in the steering & sailing rules, including standing on for a time in case Rule 8 requires that. But you should NEVER let it get to that point --
I'd change the word "supposed" to "required", but other than that, I agree with you completely.

Another poster has this strange fixation about Rule 14 and seem to think that it overrides every other rule in all circumstances. Let's look at the relevant rules in a bit more detail:

Rule 14
When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.

Note the words "so as to involve risk of collision".

Now lets look at the other applicable rules in this situation.

Rule 10(j) A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the safe passage of a power-driven vessel following a traffic lane.

Rule 8 (f)
(i) A vessel which, by any of these Rules, is required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel shall, when required by the circumstances of the case, take early action to allow sufficient sea-room for the safe passage of the other vessel.
(ii) A vessel required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel is not relieved of this obligation if approaching the other vessel so as to involve risk of collision and shall, when taking action, have full regard to the action which may be required by the Rules of this Part.
(iii) A vessel the passage of which is not to be impeded remains fully obliged to comply with the Rules of this Part when the two vessels are approaching one another so as to involve risk of collision.

Rule 8 (f) makes is quite clear that Rule 10 (j) requires the small craft to take early action to allow safe sea room. i.e. to "give way" before any risk of collision exists.

The only time that Rule 14 comes into effect and makes the small craft the stand on vessel is if the small craft has already breached Rule 10 and a risk of collision now exists.

Initially, the small craft is the "give way" vessel in the situation under discussion.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 14:44   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
Thinking ahead about some trips next year I have seen the term, "Traffic Separation Zone" designated on some of the legs (usually around more congested areas) of my routes. At least that's what they're called in Navionics. Traffic Separation Schemes appears to be the official term, maybe I'm wrong. I'd appreciate input on these areas, what they mean, and how they play out in practice to cruisers.
These threads always bring out the Bush Lawyers who love to argue some rule. But its much more simple than that.

For a start get better charts so you can actually see the shipping channels.

Many have a buffer zone in between them. Sail up that.
If none, sail on the outer edge (right side) so you can slip easily further to the right.
Don't go outside the channel. It might be there for a reason.

Cross at right angles if possible.

As a small boat you usually are not required to radio into the VTS but you can if you like.

Someone mentioned Suez. Theres no TSS in Suez as it runs by one way packets, North in the AM, South in the PM kinda thing.

Don't be afraid of TSS's, Channels, ships etc. you have exactly the same rights as a ship no matter what internet forums say. (Caveat about some local TSS that may have legislated commercial shipping given priority).

Have your AIS transmitting, lots of lights on, VHF on and communicating intentions to close-by ships, etc

Be a good neighbour,
Be a good seaman,
Be a responsible person.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 14:58   #33

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Interesting, don't think I've ever come across a TSS with no outside boundary line on the chart - could you give a pointer to one, please?
I seem to remember seeing something like that years ago - just a dashed line with an up arrow inshore and down arrow offshore. IIRC, it was around a cape (maybe Finisterre or Ushant). I know they've both been updated this century, and maybe my memory is faulty, but if someone has an old chart...
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 15:07   #34

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
These threads always bring out the Bush Lawyers who love to argue some rule. But its much more simple than that.

As a small boat you usually are not required to radio into the VTS but you can if you like.

Someone mentioned Suez. Theres no TSS in Suez as it runs by one way packets, North in the AM, South in the PM kinda thing.
I think the poster that mentioned Suez meant the Gulf of Suez in much the same way that you meant the Suez Canal.

No ships or TSS in the town of Suez itself although there is the Badr Hypermarket.

Spot on about the bush lawyers...
Old 13-12-2016, 15:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Please do explain how Stumble's statement that "<20m craft are obligated to stay clear and are always the give way vessel."

and COLREGs 10(j) "A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the safe passage of a power-driven vessel following a traffic lane."

are in conflict. Or why you think they are both wrong.
The rule is right and Stumble is wrong. "Not impede" is different and distinct from "give way." It is also distinct from "keep out of the way", which is the wording used in other rules. If the makers of the rules meant "give way" or "keep out of the way" then they would have said that. Dockhead has given you a good portion of the answer, but IMO he's left something out. I could lecture on this, but previous attempts at doing that in these fora have yielded limited success.

If you and others choose to participate, I can guide you through an exploration of the rules, to help you work out for yourselves, what "not impede" really means?

For those interested, we start with two questions:
(1) Beside rule 8, in which three rules are vessels directed to not impede? (2) Other than the word 'impede' being used, what do these three rules have in common?
Old 13-12-2016, 15:33   #36

Quote:
Don't be afraid of TSS's, Channels, ships etc. you have exactly the same rights as a ship no matter what internet forums say. (Caveat about some local TSS that may have legislated commercial shipping given priority).

Have your AIS transmitting, lots of lights on, VHF on and communicating intentions to close-by ships, etc

Be a good neighbour,
Be a good seaman,
Be a responsible person.

As usual Mark, you've given uncomplicated no-nonsense advice. Good on ya!
Old 13-12-2016, 15:43   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Traffic Separation Zones

You guts make it so complicated..
The Separation Zone is where you go to fish in peace and quiet..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:15   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Seems to be a lot of fear and misinformation in some of these posts.

Read the actual Rule and understand that the TSS is your friend.

http://www.ecolregs.com/index.php?op...&id=52&lang=en
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:57   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If none, sail on the outer edge (right side) so you can slip easily further to the right.
No!

A vessel using a traffic separation scheme shall:
(i) proceed in the appropriate traffic lane in the general direction of traffic flow for that lane;
(ii) so far as practicable keep clear of a traffic separation line or separation zone;
A vessel other than a crossing vessel or a vessel joining or leaving a lane shall not normally enter a separation zone or cross a separation line except:
(i) in cases of emergency to avoid immediate danger;
(ii) to engage in fishing within a separation zone.

Quote:
No again!
A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the safe passage of a
power-driven vessel following a traffic lane.
Old 14-12-2016, 00:06   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:

For a start get better charts so you can actually see the shipping channels.

Cross at right angles if possible.

Be a good neighbour,
Be a good seaman,
Be a responsible person.

AMEN -- I am not a lawyer or can I quote the rules - I just know I have to deal with them and a lot of them and keep me, my crew, my boat and the other boats safe - and when we are out here we work it out one incident at a time -
good posting mark
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 07:58   #41

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

About my previous post where I mentioned a TSS in the Suez Canal. Markj is correct is his post stating that there is no TSS in the Suez Canal, although there is one in the Gulf of Suez leaving Port Tawfiq, so I apologize for the misleading info in my previous post.

With that said, a parallel canal section has been completed to allow traffic to continue advancing north while other traffic continues south for part of the canal transit. Have not seen the updated charting info on this but I understand (dubious source at best, a "Red Sea Licensed Captain"...aka a dive boat driver) that there now is a TSS just before and just after entering and exiting this new canal addition. Will have to do some more research here.

In the meantime, all of the above has little bearing on the OP's original question about what a TSS is. I think that that question has already been answered many times over here. It certainly has been interesting reading I must say
Old 14-12-2016, 08:44   #42

Boat: Caliber 40

I’ve spent THOUSANDS of hours during the last 45-years of sailing in TSS zones in Puget Sound, Straits of Juan De Fuca, San Juan Islands, Georgia Straits, Santa Barbara to Catalina, San Francisco, and Chesapeake Bay.

The rules are simple
- stay out
- cross fast
- leave as soon as a big ship appears

A sailor in a sailboat can easily understand a TSS when they keep the following in mind:

- The TSS is a divided two-lane highway
- Only large fast trucks use the highway
- You are a gimpy pedestrian
- Trucks on the highway have limited visibility of pedestrians
- Trucks on the highway can easily run over a pedestrian without even noticing
- The highway has no crosswalks or traffic signals
- Trucks on the highway can deviate off the highway anytime they wish

Those statements should make the sailors decisions easy

- Stay off the highway
- Cross the highway in such a manner to minimize time on it
- Get off the highway as soon as you see a truck
- You have no rights or protections when on the highway
- Never be on the highway at night or in the fog

None of this is based on Colregs, Port Captain Rules, USCG regulations – its based on common sense and the rule of tonnage
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 13:01   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I’ve spent THOUSANDS of hours during the last 45-years of sailing in TSS zones in Puget Sound, Straits of Juan De Fuca, San Juan Islands, Georgia Straits, Santa Barbara to Catalina, San Francisco, and Chesapeake Bay.

The rules are simple
- stay out
- cross fast
- leave as soon as a big ship appears

A sailor in a sailboat can easily understand a TSS when they keep the following in mind:

- The TSS is a divided two-lane highway
- Only large fast trucks use the highway
- You are a gimpy pedestrian
- Trucks on the highway have limited visibility of pedestrians
- Trucks on the highway can easily run over a pedestrian without even noticing
- The highway has no crosswalks or traffic signals
- Trucks on the highway can deviate off the highway anytime they wish

Those statements should make the sailors decisions easy

- Stay off the highway
- Cross the highway in such a manner to minimize time on it
- Get off the highway as soon as you see a truck
- You have no rights or protections when on the highway
- Never be on the highway at night or in the fog

None of this is based on Colregs, Port Captain Rules, USCG regulations – its based on common sense and the rule of tonnage
Excellent summary which pretty well covers the relevant parts of those documents in simple layman's terms.

Which is not surprising since those documents are also based on common sense
Old 15-12-2016, 05:55   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I'd change the word "supposed" to "required", but other than that, I agree with you completely.

Another poster has this strange fixation about Rule 14 and seem to think that it overrides every other rule in all circumstances. Let's look at the relevant rules in a bit more detail:

Rule 14
When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.

Note the words "so as to involve risk of collision".

Now lets look at the other applicable rules in this situation.

Rule 10(j) A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the safe passage of a power-driven vessel following a traffic lane.

Rule 8 (f)
(i) A vessel which, by any of these Rules, is required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel shall, when required by the circumstances of the case, take early action to allow sufficient sea-room for the safe passage of the other vessel.
(ii) A vessel required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel is not relieved of this obligation if approaching the other vessel so as to involve risk of collision and shall, when taking action, have full regard to the action which may be required by the Rules of this Part.
(iii) A vessel the passage of which is not to be impeded remains fully obliged to comply with the Rules of this Part when the two vessels are approaching one another so as to involve risk of collision.

Rule 8 (f) makes is quite clear that Rule 10 (j) requires the small craft to take early action to allow safe sea room. i.e. to "give way" before any risk of collision exists.

The only time that Rule 14 comes into effect and makes the small craft the stand on vessel is if the small craft has already breached Rule 10 and a risk of collision now exists.

Initially, the small craft is the "give way" vessel in the situation under discussion.
"Required" vs "supposed" is a useful correction to my post -- thanks!

I'm not saying you're wrong, and maybe it's a matter of taste, but I don't like the way you use the phrase "give way" in this post.

What if you're sailing parallel to the TSS and you're biding your time, continuing on your way, while waiting for that freighter to get past you, before turning across? Is that "giving way"? Not the way I use the term. It's "not impeding", which I think is different.

"Giving way" is used in the Rules to describe the role of the active partner in the giving-way/standing-on dance. It's not used in any other way, and certainly not in the context of Rules 9 and 10. In my humble opinion it's useful to use the term precisely in this way, as the Rules do.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 06:04   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Excellent summary which pretty well covers the relevant parts of those documents in simple layman's terms.

Which is not surprising since those documents are also based on common sense
I also like Mark's post, and I like very much that you point out the common sense and seamanship basis of the Rules. Love the "big fast truck" vs "gimpy pedestrian"!

I would only offer a couple of suggested minor refinements to Mark's post:

1. Delete reference to "rule of tonnage" -- not required for the conclusions presented, and the concept is awful and lubberly.

2. "You have no rights or protections when on the highway" ought to read "no one has any rights or protections when 'on the highway' or off it -- it doesn't work like that"

3. "Only large fast trucks use the highway" -- might be somewhat more accurate if it said "as a gimpy pedestrian, stay on the shoulder and off the highway being used by large fast trucks".

4. "Never be on the highway at night or in fog" might add "without having both radar and AIS". You could be waiting a long time to cross the English Channel if you took that rule as originally written.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote