Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2023, 16:48   #106

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Tool available to reset AIS650 MMSI

Meeting the law can be done in more than one way.
My boat came to me with Canadian MMSI in the VHF and the AIS, so it was necessary to change. But the difficulty led to procrastination, and I ran for 2 years with an illegal MMSI -- perhaps not the intended outcome of laws making it hard to change your MMSI!. With plans to leave the country, I finally took action.
My AIS was easy and cheap, about $50 and a copy of my license sent to the manufacturer gave me a code in my control application for a one-time reset.
My VHF is also about $50. Took me 2 hours to get it unmounted, an hour to drive it to the nearest authorized service center, an hour back, and another 2 hours to reinstall. What a nightmare!
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:30   #107

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Actually, they're just following the (US) law. The MMSI is not supposed to be configurable by the consumer.

Of course this restriction doesn't apply in most other countries, so there might be a program which allows the change. It's just not distributed (legally) in the US.

My understanding of the "interpretation" of the law as explained to me by SH was that there has to be "dealer/manufacturer" intervention when programming the MMSI. On some SH equipment I believe you can obtain a one time code over the phone after verifying your ownership and identity.

The trouble with laws, they are usually proposed by politicians who don't think things through or committees of people with vest interests. I often wonder in a few years how many VHFs and AIS with discarded MMSI's will be laying around in Boat Jumbles and salvage yards ready for the criminal element. The same criminals that can simply buy equipment and program it with whatever fake MMSI they fancy. Duh.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:24   #108

I got a config-file from em-trak support that I used in ProAIS2 to change the MMSI number.
It uses
$PSMT,0,3,0x2C75B2FA,1,nvdeli "mmsi",52*45
to delete the programmed MMSI number
This is followed by
$PSMT,0,3,0x2C75B2FA,1,delay 100,53*06
and then an MSSI programming command
Finally
$PSMT,0,3,0x2C75B2FA,1,bootcmd 0,56*0B
simene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 03:54   #109

I would be very glad to have one copy of this mmsi reset tool.
I want to sell my 2W AIS so I can replace it with a 5W
oogleg019@gmail.com please, thank you!!
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 14:09   #110

looking to change my MMSI aswell.

my email is svoceanghost at gmail com

appreciate it very much.
sliceoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 15:01   #111

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

It is important to recognize the very limited value of an MSSI and impact of an incorrect MMSI.

* For an AIS transponder, it is arguable that the "gumint" can recognize your bold indifference, and come get you. I used the illegal Canadian MMSI on my AIS for 2 years before I finally spent the coin (and effort) to change it. Until then, everyone could see me moving across the Bay and avoid me, and I could see them. Unless someone correlated the old MMSI against the flag on the back of my boat, no one would ever know. It is, without a doubt, flagrantly illegal. I doubt they would actually fine or incarcerate me, but who knows.

Your VHF will ONLY broadcast your MMSI if you tell it to. The distress call is one reason. If your MMSI is wrong, I can't imagine that they won't dispatch rescue vessels, even if they have the wrong boat info. You can also set it up (I think?) to send your position to a friend (maybe on an auto-respond?). I know of no one who has ever done this. Finally, your MMSI can be used for direct dial VHF calls. I also know of no one who has ever done this, as it is very cumbersome. With highly integrated systems (AIS into Chart Plotter which is compatible with your VHF), you can directly dial a ship on your screen.

I updated all my MMSI before my trip to Canada. If not for that, I'm not sure if I would have even yet. Beyond law, and maybe beyond offshore travel, who really cares?
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 01:21   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by simene View Post
I got a config-file from em-trak support that I used in ProAIS2 to change the MMSI number.
It uses
This is followed by
Finally
Did you have to do a factory reset first?
This worked on the AIS650?
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 03:11   #113

Boat: Passport 470AC

Based on what simene posted and some other information I pieced together a procedure for resetting the MMSI number on my AIS650 using just proAIS2 a usb cable and my Macbook.

It took about 5 minutes to do and as far as I can tell everything worked as expected.

I have NO IDEA if what I did was legal but I figured it was better to change my MMSI number than run with an invalid MMSI number. Sending the unit out for service also wasn't an option.

Because I'm not sure about the legality of what i did I'm not comfortable posted the instructions here but DM me and I'll send along what worked for me.
datarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 05:34   #114

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Just interested.......

So if you buy a new AIS unit in the US does the seller set the MMSI before delivery to the customer?
Yes. In fact, they won't actually sell you an AIS without providing them the MMSI first so they can program it in.

I discovered that when I was between boats and found a Vesper AIS on sale that I wanted to buy to install on whatever I was going to get next.

No MMSI, no sale.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 05:49   #115

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Yes. In fact, they won't actually sell you an AIS without providing them the MMSI first so they can program it in.

I discovered that when I was between boats and found a Vesper AIS on sale that I wanted to buy to install on whatever I was going to get next.

No MMSI, no sale.

This has got to rate as one of the most ridiculous pieces of legislation. Like Sailing Harry said, whoever checks, there appears to be no enforcement and what does it achieve. The whole object is to see and be seen. Forgoing the obvious advantages (or not) of DSC, broadcasting that I am a boat travelling at X knots in direction Y and by the way the boat is called "Fred" would suffice from the safety standpoint. Who exactly are the badies the authorities are trying to protect us from, transmitting a fake ID and position is not rocket science.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 09:59   #116

Boat: Island Gypsy 36

Quote:
It uses
This is followed by
Finally
This worked for AIS700 with latest firmware as of Jan 2024
No extra software needed just proAIS2 to reprogram the device after the reset Mac or Windows.

Above are instructions to the part of the chipset it looks like
nickma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 06:10   #117

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

Now I see many posts and notices from Raymarine that it is illegal for the end user/owner to change the MMSI number, especially in the USA. I cannot find any such official law or regulation.

I did find that Raymarine's policy of not providing a way to reset the MMSI when selling MMSI equipment makes it difficult conform to https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi
Raymarine is simply following the law (in the USA). It is unfair to blame them for doing this, as a business, they must follow the law.

If laws don't apply to you, do what you want.
Old 29-01-2024, 15:36   #118

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

I can highly recommend to get the matsutec H102 AiS class A/B transceiver with 5W that also has CE-certificate.
Its the cheapest AIS around and you can also program it yourself. No bothering and paying 50-200Euro to reprogramm it or make adjustments and wait for weeks till you get it back from manufacturer. The only drawback its NEMa0183 but i didn't care as my chartplotter works with both networks 0183 and N2K
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 07:59   #119

Does anyone still have the AIS650 mmsi reset tool?

Please send a link to amrarick at gmail dot com.
innerconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 04:55   #120

Boat: Gib'Sea 43

Thank you very much for sharing this.
It worked like a charm for a Si-Tex MDA-5, with ProAIS2 under W10/x64

Fair winds!

Quote:
It uses
This is followed by
Finally

Tags
ais