Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 12:00   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
The Earth is flat!

So I caught a documentary on the Flat Earthers.

Made for a good comedy.

But after some googling I found out this is all rather serious!!

So I was just wondering, are there any Yachties/Boaters who believe the earth is flat?

This could bring out a few Trolls!!! Sorry.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: The Earth is flat!

The more important question is whether there are any circumnavigators who think the world is flat....

You may have to move this thread to the New Joke Thread
Old 08-10-2020, 12:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The more important question is whether there are any circumnavigators who think the world is flat....

You may have to move this thread to the New Joke Thread
You realize it's possible to complete a circle on a flat surface right? Just saying.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:17   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

I have completed several journeys that started at one place, crossed all the lines of longitude, and ended back at the same place. But I have no evidence that the object I traversed was an oblate spheroid. At all times it looked reasonably flat to me (well, actually a bit lumpy, not really "flat", when it was flat the going was pretty slow).
Old 08-10-2020, 12:18   #5

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
You realize it's possible to complete a circle on a flat surface right? Just saying.
I’ve always wondered what a great circle route is . . . .
Old 08-10-2020, 12:31   #6

I have a friend who is a serious flat earther.
It's hard, he actually has a thought process, which I really do believe is a rare thing these days.
They have an answer for everything, and I mean everything. I had a chat with him about seeing a big ship come over the horizon....this was his response:
Begin quote:
You did see it over the horizon in your mind. That is what you know. Truth is that water is always level and can not stick to a spinning ball. What happens when you see things in a distance over water is that you see the top of the ship first. Lower to the surface or the sea you will have more water vapor so naturally you can not see so far through the thick vapors. Less vapor and you can see further.
End quote

So, as you can see, an answer for everything. And to be honest, they do actually come up with some interesting points.

My wife and I now laugh about "rounders" . It throws folks off when we laugh at folks for being a rounder in front of them. All in jest of course.

And, to your question about sailing....yes they have an explanation for that as well.

Interestingly, my mind moved from if the world is flat then the whole round earth lie is being pushed upon us. By whom? And to what end? I asked if he believes in aliens......well, that was the wrong question to ask. Would not discuss it, not so much as a peep.

I think that his wife has drawn the line at flat earth.....aliens means divorce.

All very intersting. Like I said before though, I admire that he does seem to have synapses comunicating in his head unlike the flatline happening in most heads these days.

Be offended if you like, it's ok with me.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:32   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

The movement of the celestial bodies has to be crazy crazy complicated to allow for the simple rules we use for celestial position calculations.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:33   #8

No, it is not "rather serious." It is just idiotic. And really, pretty sad.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:37   #9

I have told my children that I will accept almost any life decision they decide to pursue but I will consider myself a complete failure if they become a flat earther.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, it is not "rather serious." It is just idiotic. And really, pretty sad.
Agreed.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:39   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
The Earth is flat!

The world being flat or round does not materially affect their situation or most people’s so it is not important to their general functioning in society nor is it very important to society at large in most situations.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
I have a friend who is a serious flat earther.
It's hard, he actually has a thought process, which I really do believe is a rare thing these days.
They have an answer for everything, and I mean everything. I had a chat with him about seeing a big ship come over the horizon....this was his response:
Begin quote:
You did see it over the horizon in your mind. That is what you know. Truth is that water is always level and can not stick to a spinning ball. What happens when you see things in a distance over water is that you see the top of the ship first. Lower to the surface or the sea you will have more water vapor so naturally you can not see so far through the thick vapors. Less vapor and you can see further.
End quote

So, as you can see, an answer for everything. And to be honest, they do actually come up with some interesting points.

My wife and I now laugh about "rounders" . It throws folks off when we laugh at folks for being a rounder in front of them. All in jest of course.

And, to your question about sailing....yes they have an explanation for that as well.

Interestingly, my mind moved from if the world is flat then the whole round earth lie is being pushed upon us. By whom? And to what end? I asked if he believes in aliens......well, that was the wrong question to ask. Would not discuss it, not so much as a peep.

I think that his wife has drawn the line at flat earth.....aliens means divorce.

All very intersting. Like I said before though, I admire that he does seem to have synapses comunicating in his head unlike the flatline happening in most heads these days.

Be offended if you like, it's ok with me.
It would be impossible for me to remain friends with someone who doesn't believe in basic scientific facts.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
It would be impossible for me to remain friends with someone who doesn't believe in basic scientific facts.
LOL!!!

And I am what might be considered a bit judgmental, cynical and a bit harsh at times, whoa, you must be a real doosey!
Old 08-10-2020, 12:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
LOL!!!

And I am what might be considered a bit judgmental, cynical and a bit harsh at times, whoa, you must be a real doosey!
There are already enough things to argue about in the world, facts shouldn't be one of them. Waste of time and effort.

Now part of me wants to know how they explain gravity but it's best if I don't know.

If that makes me harsh then ya, I'm harsh. ;-)

Cheers.
Old 08-10-2020, 13:07   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
So I caught a documentary on the Flat Earthers.

Made for a good comedy.
If this is the one I watched a couple of years ago, I thought the real message was that we shouldn't laugh at these people. They are serious, and many are quite smart. But for some reason they've fallen off the apple cart of logic and science.

... But it was fun to watch all their well thought out experiments actually disprove their theory that the Earth is flat .
Closed Thread