Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 15:22   #1

Boat: lagoon 410 41'
sailing from tortola to miami

my wife and i are planning on picking up our new boat in tortola and would appreciate any info regarding the best route from there to miami . we are experienced sailors but have not done any off shore cruising . . we are not in any hurry and could jump from island to island if need be .. thanks!
captntimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 04:47   #2

Boat: GAME PLAN, Celestial 48, Center Cockpit Cutter
Re: sailing from tortola to miami

There are many variables in this transit but since this evidently is your first time and with a new boat I would suggest a more conservative approach .
The first leg would be from the BVI to Puerta Plata in the DR. This will be a easy downwind run and enable you to stay as close to land as you are comfortable.
From the DR it's all relatively short hops from one island to the next up through the Turks and Bahamas until you get to the Gulfstream off the Florida Coast.
Believe it or not but that last leg across the Gulfstream could be the most daunting leg of all. I grew up in Miami and the "Stream" was my backyard. Watch your weather here. Take my word for it, when the Stream gets snotty it can be some of the most treacherous water in the world.
Other than that it sounds like a great trip. My advice is to take your time in the Bahamas. Some really fine cruising up there.

Roger
GAME PLAN
Martinique, FWI

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 05:16   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: sailing from tortola to miami

A great trip, downwind all the way (usually). Take your time, the Bahamas are great with a shoal draft vessel. Research cruising guides, charts, etc.
I use Steve Dodge's Abaco guide, Steve Pavilidis' guides for the rest of the Bahamas, and the Explorer charts.
Have a great time.

Tags
miami, sail, sailing