Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2016, 06:09   #1

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter
Nav apps for ios

Been studying and searching and have a lot of good background info from the forum....thank you all. I would be interested in recommendations from users of the apps you use that specifically will accept CM93 charts in ios(iPad2). Started on SeaIQ just to have them block the charts the week following. no such thing as good timing, I guess.
Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 23:28   #2

Re: Nav apps for ios

I paid for Navionics with full Atlantic chart set but 2 months later apple updated ios and it no longer worked. They said I had to buy the product again (the new updated version). It looks very good, but its expensive and I would rather eat a thorn bush than give them any more money. I'm just about to try i-boating. Not sure if it uses cm93. Would also be interested to hear what apps get recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Selected Risks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 23:58   #3

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Where are you sailing? I've used iNavX now for four years in Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, South Pacific and New Zealand. Charts for the USA are free I believe. Unfortunately it won't support CM93 and the only one for iPad's I believe was SeaIQ until they disabled support late last year.

Functionally, iNavX has been good (and it integrates really well with Weather4D routing optimization), but I've had to completely wipe it and reload it twice during that time when it started to get 'buggy', then reload my charts. I've had to update my subscription each time in order to reload the charts which is REALLY frustrating and somewhat expensive.

So now I've picked up a cheap Asus tablet (<$300 US) that runs Windows 10(?) and have loaded OpenCPN on it. Now I can use both CM93 and Google Earth .kap files. It also integrates with my Vesper AIS perfectly so I get all my AIS info in OpenCPN also. The only drawback to the Asus tablet is that it doesn't have an internal GPS, but since I've got the AIS it gets position from there anyway so it doesn't matter for me. A cheap Bluetooth puck GPS would also work and you're still less than 1/2 the cost of an iPad with cell capability.

When my iPad dies, I'm not sure I'll be replacing it.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 00:55   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selected Risks View Post
I paid for Navionics with full Atlantic chart set but 2 months later apple updated ios and it no longer worked. They said I had to buy the product again (the new updated version). It looks very good, but its expensive and I would rather eat a thorn bush than give them any more money. I'm just about to try i-boating. Not sure if it uses cm93. Would also be interested to hear what apps get recommended.

Wait.. Do you really mean Apple want you to pay AGAIN for the same Navionics chart you already paid for???
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 19:04   #5

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I use Garmin BlueChart mobile on my iPad, I also use the AC overlay to identify anchorages and free docks, I've been very happy with it on the rivers and Great Lakes.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 00:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Wait.. Do you really mean Apple want you to pay AGAIN for the same Navionics chart you already paid for???

Not apple, Navionics. I bought the software with indian ocean charts loaded, which does not work with ios 6 or later. If I stuck with ios 6 it would still function. Navionics brought out a new app for ios 6 and expected people to just pay again. So all I 'm saying is watch out if you spend money on Navionics, they might do it again. The garmin app looks nice, but also expensive. Open CPN on a windows tablet sounds interesting, might have to try that.

Old 17-04-2016, 05:51   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

I have tried Navionics, iNavX, SeaiQ and iSailor from Transas.

Hands down, the winner for me is iSailor. I have since deleted all the others. You purchase maps only once, updated maps are free. The interface is intuitive, support for AIS, Marine Guides, Tides and Grib forecasts, nmea interfacing.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 23:21   #8

Anyone used the Atlantic offshore waters chart for isailor. I want to sail from Durban to st helena to brazil to carib to azores to southern UK and thought isailor would be good for planning and backup, if not primary navigation source. Can't find any examples of how detailed the Atlantic chart is. Any ideas?

Old 14-05-2016, 17:45   #9

Boat: Mustang 3800

Another vote here for Isailor. I have used it around Australia as well as from Singapore right through up to West Coast of India and Middle East. Great app. Maps cost a few bucks but you get what you pay for.
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote