Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 12:49   #1

Boat: Beneteau 50.4
Sailing from Florida to the Hamptons (NY) in May

Hi everybody,
I bough my boat two years ago. I went from Florida to Bahamas several times. Maybe 2000 nm experience now.
But in May I would like to sail up to the Hamptons, to stay there during the summer. Will be closer to home.
I am sure that many of you did this route already.
What are your recommandations for that.
I would prefer to stay in the ocean, not in ICW.
Thank you
Brunet27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 13:31   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: Sailing from Florida to the Hamptons (NY) in May

Fort Lauderdale - Charleston - Cape Lookout - Cape May - Montauk
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 13:49   #3

Could it be more in details. You did that earlier?
Old 26-03-2017, 13:50   #4

Would it be more easy to begin from the Abacos, Bahamas
Old 27-03-2017, 08:12   #5

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The route is easy, assuming you're leaving from the east coast of FL. FL. to either Frying Pan Shoals gate or Hatteras via the Gulf Stream, then direct to Montauk Pt., thru the Race and into LI Sound. Check the Stream location and direction off Hatteras and stay in it as long as possible before heading to Montauk Pt. The key is to time the trip with a lingering High giving you a SW breeze. Stay out of the Stream if the wind is in any quadrant out of the North.
Have a great trip and don't fight the weather.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:12   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunet27 View Post
Would it be more easy to begin from the Abacos, Bahamas
I would think it far simpler, and faster, to just get into the Gulf Stream from FTL and head north towards Hatteras. The GS will slingshot you on your way, assuming that weather conditions are decent (i.e. wind not from any northern quadrant, and someone else already mentioned). Heading to the Abacos first will take you quite a bit out of your way, and away from the GS. Of course, if you have other reasons to go to the Abacos, that's a whole different story .

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:19   #7

I have done this trip.... it was part of a delivery and pick up of a new boat in Wrightsville Beach. We basically left FL and rode the Gulf Stream w/ a SW breeze. Easy peasy. We came into the west end of the sound through NY harbor. More traffic and of course we had to time the passage through Hells Gate. Heading for Montauk will see less commercial traffic by more fishing boats.

I wouldn't ride the stream in anything from the north... that might be pretty bouncy.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 11:10   #8

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunet27 View Post
Could it be more in details. You did that earlier?
Yes. These are all big, easy entry ports to break the trip up. You can do it in fewer legs or all at once if you want. Like the others say, use the Gulf Stream to max advantage and watch the weather. Its a pleasant and fast trip if the weather cooperates. You don't need to go through the Race, just curl around Montauk and head into Gardiners Bay.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 11:14   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

An additional thought... You're going to be crossing some busy shipping lanes, especially around Norfolk and NYC. If you don't already have one, seriously consider an AIS transponder so that you can both see, and more importantly be seen by, commercial traffic.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 11:25   #10

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

should mention, the gulf stream is only helpful if you stay in the gulf stream. If you come into port every night, the advantage of the gulf stream pushing you from behind is completely lost if you travel back and forth to and from the gulf stream. Once you get past Cape Hatteras, there really isn't any value in staying in the gulf stream any longer as it gets farther and farther out to sea the farther north you go. Here you want to stay closer to shore or enter the ICW, otherwise you'll be going upstream into the Labrador current. From Cape Hattaras on, staying offshore is going to be more of a bumpy ride.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 11:51   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I tend to do the longer passages, not stopping unless theres a real reason.

I would go direct from Florida to your destination and only hop out of the Gulf Stream if the weather turns.
In the Gulf Stream you should be able to get the VHF weather all the way from some frikkin robot.

The things about the Gulf Stream:
In many places its hard to find.
From the inside wall to full strenth is only about 5 miles so you can ride up that and if the weather turns ytou only have 5 miles till you are on the coast side of it.
It swings in close to Cape Hatteras which is GREAT because you can asses if you can get around the Cape safely or if the weather looks bad you can duck into Beaufort NC (Or Cape Fear - But I never go nowhere called Fear!!)
You can feel and see the GS, by the warmth, humidity and by clouds over it, but also because it feels weird. I dont know if its just 'me' but that water is never quite 'right'. While its OK then stay in it but if weirdness reigns then get the hell out and head towards the coast. on the coast side of it theres less convection, less weird wave action and there are ports everywhere-ish, sail up near the stream and then jump back into it when you think it looks better.

I haven't done the run right along the coast from Florida to NY as I am normally much further off shore, but I would love to do it some time. I think it would be a great challenge, navigational just to stay in it, and your nerve!

Have fun and report back on how you did it.

******************* You really want AIS on this trip. Yes, I know that most of the forum poo-poos AIS but there is a @#$% load of ships up that route and AIS is extremely very absolutely bigly good!

This screenshot is in the Florida Straits... its BUSY! (Also in that shot: can you see the dashed magenta line that I am very close to? Thats the centre of the Gulf Stream in that area. but a lot of areas its not well marked)

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 19:59   #12

Thanks everyone. I will study that closely
Old 27-03-2017, 20:49   #13

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

Earlier in May is probably better weather-wise. In later May/June you will start to get warmer/moister/more tropically type weather over the GS. If thunderstorms build up over the GS, like Mark says, duck in towards the coast side of it. When we saw storms like this on northbound offshore passages the forecast (and the next day, the actual-cast) had pretty strong TS right over the GS, but inside was OK. On that trip we were planning to ride the stream to Beaufort, but bailed a day early and headed north to Cape Fear (we survived, Mark) because we had cruising friends to see in Wrightsville Beach. But we had a great passage around Cape H one year too, because the weather was good.

Good luck and smooth sailing.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sail, sailing