Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2022, 09:02   #1

Navigating with Google Earth

I wonder if anyone has discovered a slick, professional and robust system of navigating using satellite imagery, such as found on Google Earth or Bing?

I looked into it a few years ago, and wrote a blog article; Navigating in the Pacific around coral

I find the OpenCPN system pretty clunky, and wondered if some competent tech company had found a way to integrate satellite imagery with a dedicated chart-plotter?
dstraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:40   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Navigating with Google Earth

Supposedly Garmin offers satellite imagery for plotters with Navionics Vision+ subscription and downloading via ActiveCaptain, but I haven't played with it myself.

I'm glad I decided to read your link first, before posting that many have published instructions here for creating "charts from satellite". Since I don't want to fiddle with the DIY route, I just use the right-click "download satellite chart" option in SEAiq. Toss a coin to your witcherVenture...

One other thing you mentioned worth calling out is that the purple "fog of war" Google applies should be considered exactly that: unsurveyed, rather than empty water. As for the "various solutions" you also listed, to me those are all things the prudent navigator should be doing anyway.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:02   #3

Most of the e-chart suppliers have satellite overlays, so there really isn’t anything new to add.

There is so much more to navigating than not running into land, this seems about a 3rd tier tool—at best
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:11   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

You can fairly easily extract the very latest Google or Bing zoomable sat imagery of a coastline with SASplanet. Usually zoom levels from 15-19 are sufficient. Than export them as geo referenced MBtiles and create a chart group with them.
Now you can easily switch to them with a simple right-click in OpenCPN.

Sat images have their place contributing further info besides the nav charts.
You can easily spot the character of a coast line, you can often see the type of ground in an anchorage and more.

The nav chart is for navigation, but the Sat images augment that wonderfully.

Tags
google, google earth