Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05   #121

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Is just me, or someone notice the light blue color in the pieces of wreckage ! Lady Domina is dark blue color hull more close to a black color..
Just looks like typical light blue closed cell foam insulation that has bleached on exposed sides from sun exposure, as it tends to do.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:41   #122

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I may have missed it in skimming the thread, but has anything been heard from the Lady Domina that would indicate an emergency? EPIRB? Was she known to check in via SSB or satphone? She may just be delayed due to engine failure or some other normal problem.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14   #123

Read the previous posts - no SSB, no satphone, no EPIRB !!!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15   #124

There are some misperceptions in the thread about the capabilities of the US military imaging satellite fleet. The choice facing anyone intending to operate a fleet of imaging satellites, with a given budget, is between a small number of high-resolution birds or a large number of low-resolution birds -- or somewhere in between along a continuum. The US has, since the US intelligence community has been dominated by the needs of the arms control community, always taken to the extreme end of the continuum by choosing a very small number of extremely high-resolution birds. The idea that the US military could do any sort of surveillance with the satellites they actually have is preposterous -- and only happens in movies. That is why surveillance drones have become so important.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18   #125

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I believe that wreckage looks like Grain De Soleil (my apologies if I misspelled that). I'm not an xpect by any means on boat building but the color sure looks close. See the photo I have attached. I'm hoping that everyone is found safe on all 3 missing yachts.
SC

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4010893778.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	60736
Old 12-05-2013, 22:21   #126

Boat: 41' ketch

Not sure whether this will be of any help, or how factual some of it is (whether or not this person is on the boat or if it's actually his father that contacted me). I have no reason to think it wouldn't be but I don't know anyone involved and knew nothing about this before googling it.

Yesterday I accepted a friend request from a K***** A****rs on FB. I receive a couple of friend requests from sailors I don't know each month. I believe I get these requests from sailors I don't know since I've written some books about sailing. Generally if someone sends me a friend request and looks to be a sailor I just accept the request.

Today I got a FB message from his father asking how I could become his friend as he's missing on the Lady Domina. I had no idea what he was asking about so just googled and it led me here.

I don't use FB a lot and don't know exactly when he sent the friend request, that he is/was on the boat, or that his account wasn't used by anyone else. I am fairly (90% +)certain that the friend request was recent (since the boat was supposed to have departed).

I know this sounds incredibly vague and unhelpful but I know nothing about this other than that I recently received a friend request from someone supposedly overdue in the Atlantic.

Hope all turns out well.
Old 13-05-2013, 01:14   #127
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Old 13-05-2013, 02:14   #128
Armchair Bucketeer

I am thinking that piece of wreckage may not have been in the water long, as whilst of course cannot see underneath I would have expected to see at least some growth on it - and if in the water for many months probably quite a "tail".

In regard to the colour, that light blue does seem to come right through the hull which suggests to me that it is original gelcoat rather than simply a later re-paint. and to my eyes that looks like core rather than insulation.

And to get a chunk that size in such a quick timescale would also suggest a collision with something solid, and in mid ocean that can only be a ship. Of course that may have happened after folks abandoned ship, and if the event that prompted that included a dismasting (or going turtle - keel failure?) she might not have been an easy spot in the water.
Old 13-05-2013, 03:03   #129
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The looks of that wreckage makes me think of an Irwin 52 I once saw in pieces on a reef but I also think they match that color of Grain de Soleil pretty well.

For the rest I think that the East Caribe is still a magical place where you can disappear when you like that. It's almost impossible to find out if this big yacht is anchored anywhere it seems.

I would try the safety and security net, has that been done? It catches dinghy thieves on the run down the island chain so should work to find this big boat too? I would include all the Virgin Islands and the Turks & Caicos and Bahamas too in that search. And Bermuda of-course.

Old 13-05-2013, 05:00   #130

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Read the previous posts - no SSB, no satphone, no EPIRB !!!
My kind of guy.

However, I do think it's wrong to put innocents at risk. Would the English gal with 10 years exp go on a trip without safety gear? Who would go on a long voyage with no sails?

How about some new laws doggonit! You MUST have sails to leave port while minding your own business. And fuel! At least 4000l. And the engine must have just been rebuilt. And the wiring to ABYC or some code. And the ...

No matter what the question, more laws are the answer.
Old 13-05-2013, 07:09   #131

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20A%20084.jpg

hi all brave members,
im a relative too the danish member on board the SY lady domina.
i have posted a link to a picture of the lady domina. this might give you a better view of what the colors and shape the LD have. this picture has not gone public before.
stay safe.
CH.
Old 13-05-2013, 07:39   #132

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

hoejfed.. Thanks for the detailed photo of Lady Domina..

The wheelhouse windows do not seem very secure to me,ONE big wave would surely stove in these large area acrylic? windows? The aft cockpit sides seems high and robust.

Tore
Old 13-05-2013, 07:52   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
hoejfed.. Thanks for the detailed photo of Lady Domina..

The wheelhouse windows do not seem very secure to me,ONE big wave would surely stove in these large area acrylic? windows? The aft cockpit sides seems high and robust.

Tore
hi tore, i have heard that you are in contact with (private) and you know who she is. i can sendt you more pictures. jeg er dansk og skjønner hvad du siger,
jobber i lillehammer.
blue skies . CH
Old 13-05-2013, 08:16   #134

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hoejfed, I have left your post as it may be helpful in the search, but could all further posts please be in English or they will need to be deleted.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 13-05-2013, 08:26   #135

sorry, offcourse,
Closed Thread