Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 13:30   #61

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Come on Tore! Sounds like theres a bunch of stupid folks following a stupid Capt to me ! If folks want excitement, they are better off to try parachuteing, rather then open ocean sailing on boats with out proper equipment! You might live through the fall from a plane ! but at least that would be a quick death! drowning is a hell of a way to go !! and floating in a life jacket waiting for help thats never going to come is to me the worst way to go !!! My Old daddy always told me is " stupid is as stupid do! " theres no cure for stupid, it only ends with death !! I hope if ya have folks aboard this vessel, that they are just fine and out of commuication! Thats the best ya can wish for ! We hope they show up soon but, maybe they will have better judgement next time !
Old 07-05-2013, 14:56   #62

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

LakeSuperior... If we´re splitting hairs,let me re phrase my statement,I meant they´re not heard from or seen since they left 31 March,to me that is missing....
But yes, they are 21 day overdue arriving at the Azores.

Tore
Old 07-05-2013, 15:24   #63
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
LakeSuperior... If we´re splitting hairs,let me re phrase my statement,I meant they´re not heard from or seen since they left 31 March,to me that is missing....
But yes, they are 21 day overdue arriving at the Azores.

Tore

We have a boat with a number of people aboard, nonfunctional engine, one sail of dubious quality, and we know there's been bad weather. There's plenty of reason to be concerned.

No, I don't think they showed anything remotely resembling good judgment, but I'm also wondering if their radio even worked. With no engine, what way did they have to keep their batteries charged?

That said, I don't require perfection (especially "hindsight is 20/20" perfection" for people to be worthy of SAR. Crazy things happen.
Old 07-05-2013, 15:48   #64

Rakuflames..

The Herb, the weather ´guru´ in Canada who has been helping hundreds of boats across the Atlantic sent me this email:

Hi Tore.There has been no heavy weather, throughout April, especially if he stayed south of a line from XMS to the Azores. Frequent light winds, out of various direction and moderate NE wind near 20 kts whenever a frontal system passed.

I would not be surprised if he would arrive in the next few days, unless he maintained a more northerly track and tangled with Low pressure systemsor encountered medical problems.
You probably have to add 25-30 % to his rhum line distance.

Lets hope for the best,
Herb

Fixed HF Marine Land Station VAX498
South Bound II VAX498 - Ship routing and weather forecasting
Old 07-05-2013, 16:01   #65

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
We have a boat with a number of people aboard, nonfunctional engine, one sail of dubious quality, and we know there's been bad weather. There's plenty of reason to be concerned.

No, I don't think they showed anything remotely resembling good judgment, but I'm also wondering if their radio even worked. With no engine, what way did they have to keep their batteries charged?

That said, I don't require perfection (especially "hindsight is 20/20" perfection" for people to be worthy of SAR. Crazy things happen.

I think the boat have a Genset or portable small generator....
Old 07-05-2013, 16:25   #66
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I think the boat have a Genset or portable small generator....

And as overdue as they are, I wonder how long the fuel lasted for a generator?
Old 07-05-2013, 16:47   #67

The skipper is also a welder and has apparently tons of tools on board,so I´d be surprised if he didn´t also have a good generator. Otherwise they have a capacity of 2000 gls of diesel and the same of water.

Just came across this great Android PocketGrib for smartphones I would recommend for viewing the weather on the Azores area. Cost? $ 6.- from Google Play.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PocketGRIB.png
Views:	146
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	60507  
Old 07-05-2013, 18:19   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i managed to sail panama to marquesas direct one time in a 35 ft yacht and it took me 35 days.........i did however meet a couple on a 50 ft yacht who had taken 75 days!
Old 07-05-2013, 20:59   #69

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7
As a starter/moderator of this thread,may I respectfully ask the posters to stay on the subject: a missing sailboat with 5 crew members,all with very anxious and worried families and friends.

If you don´t have anything to contribute towards the discovery and rescue of this vessel,please open another thread on the pro´s and con´s of rescue equipment to be carried on board.

Tore
I didn't see moderator in your header...and as I said before, YOU made a mistake taking the thread into what everyone should be required to carry aboard. Enjoy lying in the bed you made?
Old 07-05-2013, 21:14   #70

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Yeah, Sinbad7

Seems basic safety eq such as EPIRBs, SSB radio are over the top for many CF sailors crossing oceans.

Old 07-05-2013, 21:23   #71

As Atoll pointed out, theres no time limit at sea! ya gets there when ya gets there! The wind blows or it don't blow, most of the time it could be from the wrong way ! I used to tell folks when they asked, that we would be someplace on such and such a date ! I quit that a LONG time ago ! In fact I can't remember the last time I got somewhere when I thought I would! Thats one of the things we like the best about sailing ! the lack of a due date ! LOL Im sure by now if there was a problem other then over due you would have heard ! At least for the peaple wanting to know I hope thats the case !
Old 07-05-2013, 21:28   #72

And I might also say we have an EPIRB, and a SSB/ HAM radio, a life raft, and thats the extent of our safety gear. When we started out there were no epirbs for small boats, then we just had a ssb/ham radio and a dingy. Things change, but we always got where we wished to go !!
Old 07-05-2013, 21:30   #73

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
And I might also say we have an EPIRB, and a SSB/ HAM radio, a life raft, and thats the extent of our safety gear. When we started out there were no epirbs for small boats, then we just had a ssb/ham radio and a dingy. Things change, but we always got where we wished to go !!
+1
Old 07-05-2013, 22:18   #74

The path that I have seen posted was directly into the trades, which have been reported to have been light for the last month. If the engine quit as has been assumed, then there is no use looking near the Azores, since the boat only had a tired jib to move it. A presumably dirty bottom plus a large prop will not go to windward at all. If the boat is still sailing , it is probably doing 1 to 2 knots downwind, back towards the Caribbean or Bermuda or the east coast of the US. If they have the 1200 gallons of water that is reported, they will not have to resort to cannibalism , but they might loose a lot of weight. I suspect this will turn out alright, but with a lot of lessons that should be learned, but will be repeated._____Grant.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:36   #75

GJordan - thank you for an intelligent contribution. At last, someone is thinking positively.
Closed Thread