Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 00:58   #751

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Nikki Henderson updated her Facebook.
Great celebration yesterday, and very good atmosphere among the cat sailors
Quote:
Update from halfway:

Elayna made cookies!

Reflecting on the journey so far - it’s been so varied. Upwind, downwind, reaching - too much wind - not enough - a lot of it from the wrong direction. So the usual story with sailing then!

Ever humble to Mother Nature as we head into the latter half of our North Atlantic Crossing. But it feels downhill now. It’s quite a relief.

We have made a significant dent towards completing our mission. Every day now - after crossing our half way point (as the crow flies) - we are sailing closer to land, to our families and friends, and to the COP - so that this incredible young woman can continue spreading her world-changing message.

We spoke this morning over our breakfast - the same every day - crackers, peanut butter, dried fruits and porridge - about the beauty and importance in recognising that people can change. We all make mistakes, make decisions we regret, live our lives perhaps not as our best selves. But it is never too late - it is never too late to take a turning point - take a second chance - and change your mind - be different - be better. It felt very peaceful and forgiving to agree.
Old 26-11-2019, 01:02   #752

[QUOTE=Terje Vigen;3023599]Nikki Henderson updated her Facebook.
Great celebration yesterday, and very good atmosphere among the cat sailors

More from Sailing La Vagabonde Facebook:
Quote:
⛵️📡Happy half way day from the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean! @gretathunberg @_nikkihenderson @riley.whitelum @lenny.lavagabonde #sailinglavagabonde

Old 26-11-2019, 01:56   #753

That boat is full of lovely people , an example and inspiration to everybody , ( well most everybody )
Old 26-11-2019, 02:30   #754

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Yeah, but he's kinda been an ass in some of his postings...does his sea miles give him a bye?

Most certainly gives him a bye from being called an "armchair sailor", which Atoll is the opposite of. It's fine to disagree with him, but down right silly to call him that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 26-11-2019, 04:05   #755

Our friends shortened their distance to Lisbon by yet another 200 n.m. during the last 24 hours. Average VMG on a straight rhumb line was 8.3 knots.
Distance to go to Lisbon is 1315 n.m.
At 11:43 GMT they've been steady sailing due east for several hours, with a boat speed of 10.0 knots. The speedy catamaran is on 41°N latitude, approximately the same as Porto in Northern Portugal.
Old 26-11-2019, 04:44   #756
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Most certainly gives him a bye from being called an "armchair sailor", which Atoll is the opposite of. It's fine to disagree with him, but down right silly to call him that.
The ad hominen attack aside,i have to admit i have become a bit of an armchair sailor this year,only logging 1200 miles in the last 12 months under sail .(so up to about 107K now logged personally)

What really pisses me off is https://sailing-lavagabonde.com/ on their website claiming to have sailed 81395 miles under sail,this is pure lies.

as far as i know they have sailed from greece to nz since 2014,in their former yacht aprox 12360nm.
picked up the cat in sete then sailed to greece,pireaus is 1123nm.
then sailed to the carib,4735 nm,used st lucia,then carib to cheasepeake 1619 nm,then if you include the present voyage 3129nm.

this totals 22966 nm sailed by the la vagabonders

so i fail to see how they get to a figure of 81395 nm sailed by them since 2014,unless they have done 2 more circumnavigations that they have not told us about.
Old 26-11-2019, 04:45   #757

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I took my own advice and looked at OSCAR. I did NOT plot La Vagabonde's position - I eyeballed it. The more northerly route makes a lot of sense - 1/2 to 1 kt fair (the route (routelet?) to the north) vice 1/2 to 1 kt foul further south. I don't know that La Vagabonde is looking at OSCAR or RTOFS (RTOFS is available as grib from Saildocs, OSCAR is available as gribs from NASA) - does anyone know? Ocean currents don't change fast so I usually just print out DEOS data before departure as big and high resolution as I can manage.
Old 26-11-2019, 04:59   #758

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
The ad hominen attack aside
You can be a bit testy. *grin*

Quote:

so i fail to see how they get to a figure of 81395 nm sailed by them since 2014,unless they have done 2 more circumnavigations that they have not told us about.
Perhaps they double it - he sailed so far, she sailed so far, add them together. That still doesn't add up to their claimed mileage. Confusing km with nm AND adding up their respective sailed distances? That would about do it.
Old 26-11-2019, 05:12   #759
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Perhaps they double it - he sailed so far, she sailed so far, add them together. That still doesn't add up to their claimed mileage. Confusing km with nm AND adding up their respective sailed distances? That would about do it.

lies, lies,no confusion
they state" nautical miles sailed" very clearly in big letters as the header.

https://sailing-lavagabonde.com/
Old 26-11-2019, 05:13   #760

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
The ad hominen attack aside,i have to admit i have become a bit of an armchair sailor this year,only logging 1200 miles in the last 12 months under sail .(so up to about 107K now logged personally)
Dang, just when I thought I had finally achieved armchair sailor status you raise the standards. This relegates me right back down to mere couch sailor. But one can still learn a lot from the couch, and usually more than from just the next episodes coming up on youTube.
Old 26-11-2019, 06:00   #761

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

What really pisses me off is https://sailing-lavagabonde.com/ on their website claiming to have sailed 81395 miles under sail,this is pure lies.

as far as i know they have sailed from greece to nz since 2014,in their former yacht aprox 12360nm.
picked up the cat in sete then sailed to greece,pireaus is 1123nm.
then sailed to the carib,4735 nm,used st lucia,then carib to cheasepeake 1619 nm,then if you include the present voyage 3129nm.

But that's for each of them. That's nearly 50000 between them on passages.

I'd guess they've talking about "combined miles" in total, not just passage routes i.e. they've taken the numbers on their boat logs , multiplied the numbers by 2 until the baby was born and by 3 since then
Old 26-11-2019, 06:04   #762
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
lies, lies,no confusion
they state" nautical miles sailed" very clearly in big letters as the header.

https://sailing-lavagabonde.com/
Aww come on Atoll..
One never sees the truth come out of Hollywood..
Why expect Patreon to be any different.. 90% entertainment, 10% reality.. gotta make a dollar or two boy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
Old 26-11-2019, 06:05   #763

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:

I agree they’re likely counting the miles for each of them separately, much as many crews say things like “combined 99 years of sailing experience...”. That comes up to about 45,000 nm just in the passages. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to figure that in 8 years they could accumulate another 36,000 (combined) in side trips. That’s only moving the boat 187 miles per month on average. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Back to the OP’s intended purpose of the thread, I am very interested to see what they’ll do over the next few days with holes of light wind dancing around them, then the end of their trip with a possible change from the prevailing westerlies.
Old 26-11-2019, 06:05   #764

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I took my own advice and looked at OSCAR. I did NOT plot La Vagabonde's position - I eyeballed it. The more northerly route makes a lot of sense - 1/2 to 1 kt fair (the route (routelet?) to the north) vice 1/2 to 1 kt foul further south. I don't know that La Vagabonde is looking at OSCAR or RTOFS (RTOFS is available as grib from Saildocs, OSCAR is available as gribs from NASA) - does anyone know? Ocean currents don't change fast so I usually just print out DEOS data before departure as big and high resolution as I can manage.

You can also see currents on windy.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	currents.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	203775  
Old 26-11-2019, 06:17   #765
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
But that's for each of them. That's nearly 50000 between them on passages.

I'd guess they've talking about "combined miles" in total, not just passage routes i.e. they've taken the numbers on their boat logs , multiplied the numbers by 2 until the baby was born and by 3 since then
even multiplying 22966nm by 2 ,to 45932nm,and adding 3200 for the baby to 49132nm this still leaves them 32263nm or roughly a circumnavigation short,from the 81395 nm that they would have people believe ....fraud in my book, if you were trying to sell a household product they would be in jail for making claims like this.
Closed Thread