Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2018, 23:27   #61

Boat: Rayvin 30
Re: iNavX charts disappeared (Navionics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’m back in iNavx business. I was bounced to Fungawi (took over x-traverse) who put a technician on the job. Their first fix did not work for me, so he opened up the charts and extended my subscription. I managed to download all the charts again and now it works.

I really think this has something to do with their switching from the old Navionics chart set to the newer one. I’m also concerned the charts will again disappear after my subscription extension has ended. I guess I’ll avoid all iNavx updates until I get back to civilization.

Hi Mike
My charts are blocked again! Subscription expired! When I log into my account it says update subscription at $39 per chart set! I have made contact by way of their online chat but the want a $40 deposit to talk to me! How did you manage to get your subscription extended?
Rgds
Steve
SteveG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:11   #62

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
Hi Mike
My charts are blocked again! Subscription expired! When I log into my account it says update subscription at $39 per chart set! I have made contact by way of their online chat but the want a $40 deposit to talk to me! How did you manage to get your subscription extended?
Rgds
Steve
You may well be out of luck mate. I have had them revive my subscription for free 5 times over the years whenever my ipad/phone got replaced or if the program shut me out. Now they say it has been fixed that it will not delete your charts and as from April 1st they will not extend the subscription to allow you to re-download the charts and they do not allow you to keep a back up on your PC so if you get a new ipad/phone you will have to buy it all afresh.

Take care if you invest in InavX. It could end up costing a lot more than it should.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:48   #63

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Hi Mike
Rgds
Steve
I dealt with Andre Bilan at Fugawi (formerly x-traverse): Andre.Bilan at johnsonoutdoors.com. He was helpful. I had to have my account extended a few months ago again to deal with a problem. They did, without me even asking. But interestingly, it was extended to the end of March. I was not told about any big change as of April 1st.

I continue to like the program and the charts a lot, but I no longer trust the tool. Unfortunately, I’ll be seeking alternatives for the coming cruising season.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03   #64

Boat: Rayvin 30

Thanks Mike, I will try and get hold of Andre.
Thanks poiu, I fear you are correct!
SteveG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:14   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I dealt with Andre Bilan at Fugawi (formerly x-traverse): Andre.Bilan at johnsonoutdoors.com. He was helpful. I had to have my account extended a few months ago again to deal with a problem. They did, without me even asking. But interestingly, it was extended to the end of March. I was not told about any big change as of April 1st.

I continue to like the program and the charts a lot, but I no longer trust the tool. Unfortunately, I’ll be seeking alternatives for the coming cruising season.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I never liked INavX all that much -- always seemed too dumbed down -- but what I really liked was that the INavX and Fugawi people were really friendly and helpful with chart subscription issues. I never wanted to pay to have mine updated because I didn't use it for primary navigation, and they always let me re-download the old versions I had paid for.

It sounds like those days are over, and like you, that means I will be moving on to something else.

I've tried OpenCPN (my absolutely favorite navigation program) on a 10" Android tablet and did not find it to be satisfactory.

So now, I don't know what. Maybe I'll just do without it altogether.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 13:24   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I never liked INavX all that much -- always seemed too dumbed down -- but what I really liked was that the INavX and Fugawi people were really friendly and helpful with chart subscription issues. I never wanted to pay to have mine updated because I didn't use it for primary navigation, and they always let me re-download the old versions I had paid for.

It sounds like those days are over, and like you, that means I will be moving on to something else.

I've tried OpenCPN (my absolutely favorite navigation program) on a 10" Android tablet and did not find it to be satisfactory.

So now, I don't know what. Maybe I'll just do without it altogether.
Yes … it’s a unfortunate situation. To be clear, I’ve found the Fugawi folk to be helpful. And I’ve received good support from iNavx as well. But I’ve never liked the annual license model, and now I’ve had one too many hiccups with the charts and/or the software. I don’t really know where the issues lie, but it has shaken my trust in what used to be a rock-solid piece of kit.

I’ve been able to solve the problems each time, but it has required large digital downloads. That’s all well and good when I’m on land, with access to easy/cheap data. How’s it going to work when I’m cruising around Newfoundland .

I don’t know where the issues really lie, and I don’t care. I require a system I can depend on, and sadly I can’t say that anymore about iNavx. Pisses me off though, b/c I’ve spent the money on these charts and software, and naturally it will be impossible to transfer the charts to any new platform. Gotta love this new business model where I end up buying the same charts, over and over...
Old 01-04-2018, 13:48   #67

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Yes … it’s a unfortunate situation. To be clear, I’ve found the Fugawi folk to be helpful. And I’ve received good support from iNavx as well. But I’ve never liked the annual license model, and now I’ve had one too many hiccups with the charts and/or the software. I don’t really know where the issues lie, but it has shaken my trust in what used to be a rock-solid piece of kit.

I’ve been able to solve the problems each time, but it has required large digital downloads. That’s all well and good when I’m on land, with access to easy/cheap data. How’s it going to work when I’m cruising around Newfoundland .

I don’t know where the issues really lie, and I don’t care. I require a system I can depend on, and sadly I can’t say that anymore about iNavx. Pisses me off though, b/c I’ve spent the money on these charts and software, and naturally it will be impossible to transfer the charts to any new platform. Gotta love this new business model where I end up buying the same charts, over and over...
Yup, seems we are in a transition period.... Some platforms will survive, some will not.
I would not be surprise to see Garmin and Garmin charts will only support the Garmin platform at the expense of all other platforms. Perhaps to encourage people to purchase Garmin electronics.
So much for open source.
Time to vist Bluewater and buy paper charts.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:51   #68

Quote:
Hi Mike
Rgds
Steve
Hi Steve - my name is Shaun Steingold and I'm the General Manager of NavX Studios, the publisher of iNavX. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with iNavX and I'd be happy to connect and help you directly. Please email me directly at shaun@navx.co with your details and I'm sure we can get you up and running shortly.
Please also note that we DO NOT CHARGE for support. I am not sure who or what service is requiring a $40 deposit to talk but that is not us.
Again, send me an email and I'd be happy to help.
Thanks,
- Shaun
ShaunNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:59   #69

Hi SteveG58 - my name is Shaun Steingold and I'm the General Manager of NavX Studios, the publisher of iNavX. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with iNavX and I'd be happy to connect and help you directly. Please email me directly at shaun@navx.co with your details and I'm sure we can get you up and running shortly.
Please also note that we DO NOT CHARGE for support. I am not sure who or what service is requiring a $40 deposit to talk but that is not us.

I am new to the CruisersForum, and I have to admit that I am sorry that I did not join sooner. This is a wonderful community and a very rich resource of all sailors, boaters and cruisers. I would like to establish an open dialogue with everyone. There are a number of members here who are passionate iNavX users and others who have not had a good experience. I understand this and I want to make the commitment to everyone that we are here to support you.

If you have any issues, experience any difficulties or just have a question, please dont hesitate to email me directly at shaun@navx.co.

Thanks,
- Shaun
Shaun Steingold
General Manager - NavX Studios
shaun@navx.co
ShaunNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:03   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,
FWIW I use iNavex almost exclusively on a iPhone. I have Navonix on the Raymarine chart plotter.

By FAR my choice is to NEVER us Navionics if I can help it. Far too many problems with the chart display and decluttering.

IMHO I would switch to CHS charts and be done with it. They are raster charts. Much more easily read and consistent with you paper charts. No decluttering issues.

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:09   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Shaun
Glad to see you here. I’m not a moderator and have no official standing and don’t know the Ins and outs BUT I think you need to register as a commercial poster or some such and abide by those rules. It’s a special catagory for commercial folks.

And yes, I’m a iNavex fan.

(But someday I’d like to talk about NV chart navigation. There is at least one of your support staff that needs support.)
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 15:52   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Mike,
FWIW I use iNavex almost exclusively on a iPhone. I have Navonix on the Raymarine chart plotter.

By FAR my choice is to NEVER us Navionics if I can help it. Far too many problems with the chart display and decluttering.

IMHO I would switch to CHS charts and be done with it. They are raster charts. Much more easily read and consistent with you paper charts. No decluttering issues.

Thanks. I used to be a big iNavx fan, but I’ve ran into three significant problems over the last year and a half that has shaken my confidence in the product. I’m not a techie (although not a complete neophyte either), but it seems to have to do with the way charts are stored and accessed. Or maybe it has something to do with the way the licensing is monitored in the program. Either way, I’ve run into significant problems which have necessitated the need for extended tech support, and major downloads.

All of this is fine when I’m close to fast (and cheap) connectivity, but I’m no longer confident that I won’t have another disappearing chart problem somewhere ‘out there.’ Then what would happen? I’d be screwed.

I’ve been using Navionics charts in iNavx for the past few years. I started with some CHS charts as well. With the first round of hiccups 1.5 years ago my CHS charts disappeared for good. But I’d moved on to the Navionics anyway, so no big deal.

It’s now too distant for me to remember in detail, but I was a happy Navionics user for a couple of years. Then there was an iNavx update which started my saga. I’ve now had charts disappear twice, for no reason or pattern I can see. The latest odd situation is not being able to load all the new Navionics charts using the “Download All” option (or whatever it’s called). When I do that I inexplicably am unable to view some charts, mostly around the Great Lakes and out the St. Lawrence.

After extensive back and forth with the Fugawi fellow I have a workaround. He claims it is an iNavx problem that will be corrected in the next update, but now I’m hesitant to even update the software.

I have really liked the program, and have said so here. But since this problem began — a ‘known problem” when you go digging on their websites — I have lost faith in the tool.
Old 03-04-2018, 17:08   #73

Boat: Able Whistler 32 Sloop -- SOLD

Quote:
I have lost faith in the tool.
Good thread. Thanks for the heads-up on this problem. I was on the verge of purchasing iNavX charts, but will hold off for now to see if/when there's a reliable solution.
chasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 17:58   #74

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

For me the key is not to rely on one product. I also used to rely on MacENC then iNavx exclusively. Then had chart issues, lack of Active Captain, connectivity, innovation etc so I looked elsewhere. We have have a B&G Zeus2 which could be said is primary with iPads, Mac Mini running MacENC and OpenCpn as additional references.
MacENC has always annoyed me with their complex file structure. Why can’t they have or use the same structure that OpenCpn has to find, load and update charts for you. And of course charts disappearing is just a non starter when you life may be sadly dependent on those charts being available.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 19:03   #75

Boat: Olson 40

I thought I was the only one who started out loving MacENC, iNavX, and Navionics, and have been disappointed at how these have deteriorated over time. More than annoying.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, iNavX, navionics