Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2023, 09:51   #1
AST

Boat: Island Packet 29
hillsboro vs port everglades to west end

Greetings,
Planning to do the crossing this Sunday (weather forecast looks good so far). I m on an island packet 29 (full keel slow boat). I m trying to decide if I should leave from hillsboro inlet or port everglads.

Hillsboro inlet bridge opens every 15 minutes 24/7 (already confirmed with them). But I hear the inlet could be rough and may have strong current (planning on leaving 5 am).

port everglades gets crowded with big ships and not sure if that would any better than hillsboro inlet.

Any opinions will highly be appreciated.
Thanks
AST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 10:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: hillsboro vs port everglades to west end

Hillsboro Inlet has a sand bar that pops up from time to time. You need either CURRENT local knowledge or info from SeaTow/Boat US. Port Everglades is an easy one to get out of, just stay on the south side of the inlet while the ships slowly go by, and idiots blast out in their 1000HP power boats.

From Port Everglades just hold >100 heading and the Gulf Stream will alter your COG and probably lift you over Little Issac. If you leave from Hillsboro, you will end up by Grand Bahama, or further north.

Suggest leaving at very first light! With 29' your SOG in flatwater is probably 4. If you clear the inlet at 0600, you can get out of the GS before it gets dark.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 10:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Sorry for double post-----Not sure where you are getting your weather from.

Just downloaded GFS and Euro models. There is a front coming late Sunday/early Monday. If this was a 45-50' vessel, it would be a tight ride, perfect for a BVI run. IMHO, with 29', it is too close! Suggest monitoring the front and consider leaving tomorrow or Saturday. If hellbent on Sunday, double check the weather and get out as soon as possible.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 30-11-2023, 12:26   #4

At least right now, Ventusky shows wind from the SE on Sunday. Same for seas.

SO, since you are going to be headed south of east to reach West End, Grand Bahamas and even further south of east for any other destination, the further south you start the more you can sail and the greater boat speed/less impact of the Gulf Stream.

Given what we see not, absolutely go from Fort Lauderdale.

Please do verify your Bahama destination. West End is the easiest from either of your departure points.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 13:01   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

No contest. Get as far south as you can since the Stream will be pushing you to the north. Plus, you don't want to deal with a questionable inlet at 5am. If it were me, I might keep trundling down the ICW and go out Miami. One of the best runs I ever had to the Bahamas was when I left from Key Largo headed to Gun Cay. The further south the better.

National Weather Service:
Quote:
Rest Of Today E winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft, occasionally to 5 ft. Period 6 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
Tonight E winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. Period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
Fri E SE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. Period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
Fri NightE SE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts to around 20 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. Period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
Sat And Sat Night SE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 ft or less. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
Sun S SE winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 ft or less. Intracoastal waters light chop.
Sun Night S winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas less than 2 ft. Intracoastal waters light chop. A slight chance of showers late in the evening.
Mon S SW winds 5 to 10 kt becoming NW in the evening. Seas 1 foot. Intracoastal waters a light chop.
Old 30-11-2023, 13:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
No contest. Get as far south as you can since the Stream will be pushing you to the north. If it were me, I might keep trundling down the ICW and go out Miami.

Agreed. Particularly with your slow boat speed and SE wind and waves, Miami is even better than Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale.

Much more likely to allow you to sail and have easier motion.

Easy to leave Government Cut any time of day or night. We normally leave around midnight for West End.
Old 30-11-2023, 16:35   #7

We have traveled from HI to West End 15 times. We anchor east of the bridge for the night and leave at 4am for an approx 10 hr trip in a slow boat cruising boat that draws 4.5'. With se winds you will need the eng probably the entire trip. Depth has not been a problem to get out of the inlet-tides are no more of a concern than out of Pt Everglades.

Our course is 95-100' Compass. The gulf stream corrects that to bring you right to West End.
Bob

The anchorage in the lake is very good holding and fine with se winds-avout 12-15'.

Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 17:13   #8

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I sailed out of Hillsboro for many years.

Watch out for the hidden coral reef that sits south of the marked channel at Hillsboro Inlet, a few hundred yards east of the south rock jetty. No shortcuts allowed.

The inlet can produce a short, steep chop if an outgoing tide opposes a decent easterly wind.

If anchoring in the cove, get as far away from the channel as you can. Otherwise, you will be anchored in a strong current that changes with the tide.

Depth shouldn't be a problem. There is a government dredge that keeps the channel navigable.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 17:37   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380

Part of the selection process has to do where do you stay for the overnite.
HI does have that area E of the bridge, making it easy to get out with no delay. BUT, the other anchored boats in close quarters with tidal current, plus the constant close small boat traffic has me not using HI much. PE has LS used as a overnite spot; but, its getting quite crowded.
Boca is about the worst selection, due to a single bascule bridge at a bend, and current plus traffic you could find an issue. My heart missed some beats when under that bridge; collision risk is high, and that includes the bridge itself. But, I have to steer a cat...
With all that, we depart PB. Yes, its just at the same latitude as WE, but with all the bridge waits and other Broward County mayhem of traffic, its worth it for us. Easy to find a great spot overnite, and there is now usually a diesel barge on site. Deep and straightforward nav day or nite. If going to bimini, the selection changes with a slow boat, further S.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:30   #10
AST

Thanks to all. Great info. I will be departing from PE
Old 02-12-2023, 05:33   #11

And, as your departure window comes closer, looks like wind direction will be more southerly. Should be able to sail.

And, current forecast is for no seas over 4' for the crossing, though lumpy with swell and wind waves roughly 90 degrees apart.

As has been mentioned above, strongly you time your departure for daytime arrival in West End. After a long day's sail offshore is not a good time to arrive at a new port in the dark.

Enjoy your crossing and your Bahamas cruise. We have spent many enjoyable winters over there.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:51   #12
AST

Update.
So I crossed from port everglades. Left the inlet about 2 am and was in west end 2 pm ( about 12). Wind was 14-18 knots from the south. Waves 3 to 4. A Woth a small boat like mine the waves had a more noticeable affects. Wind direction was constant the whole time. Never needed to motor. Average speed 6.4
Old 09-12-2023, 04:22   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Perfect crossing!
Old 09-12-2023, 06:09   #14
Marine Service Provider

"I love it when a plan comes together."
Old 09-12-2023, 06:15   #15

Excellent.

Glad the wind swapped to the south (vs earlier forecasts of E/SE-- much better to reach than be close hauled! Particularly in a beamy boat.

Where do you head from West End? Lots of people here have cruised the Bahamas and may be able to give advice.