Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2023, 06:46   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: hillsboro vs port everglades to west end

Now that you are across, let the fun begin
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 04:53   #17
AST

Boat: Island Packet 29

Re. Where to go from here.
So I needed to fly back to the us temporarily so had to find a place for the boat. West end is too expensive for a month dockage. Originally I thought I can make it to green turtle but a lot of winds was blowing from the north. So I sailed on the south side to freeport where I found a more reasonable dockage. I have few fixes I need to do (auto pilot broke 1 hour before I got to west end).
When I come back (January) I am thinking of 2 routes.
1- go around the island through the Indian channel to grate sale then to green turtle and end up in the abacos. Sail around the Abacos then in may find a place to leVe the boat in the abacos till November and continue then down south.
2- sail south to the berries then Nassau then exumas. In May return to grat bahamas island to leave the boat till November.

Note: my ultimate goal is to see the bahamas where I spend plenty of time in each island.
I don't want to sail back to the states during hurricane season. I love snorkeling free diving and spearfishing
Thoughts?
AST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:29   #18

Yes, the Abacos are a good place given your requirements.

Through Indian Cay Passage to Great Sale. Great Sale to Green Turtle Cay.

Also, lots of "anchor out" locations-- mostly dependent on wind direction.

Flights back to the U.S. are easy from Green Turtle (ferry across the short distance to the airport) OR from Marsh Harbor. Check with Abaco Yacht Service on Green Turtle for long-term storage.

Marsh Harbor is the best resupply point in the Abacos.

When headed south from Green Turtle Cay, be sure to check for a good sea condition window to go around Whale Cay. Listen for Whale Cay Reports on the VHF. Take this SERIOUSLY.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 06:40   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I love snorkeling free diving and spearfishing
Thoughts?
I suggest heading south to the Berries, Nassau, then the Exumas. IMHO better diving in the Exumas and south. Though, you really can't go wrong. Nassau is the big city, busy, and mostly for catching flights and such, but you probably won't want to hang there for long. Some people spend the entire winter in the Exumas. You can hit Eleuthera on the way north.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:50   #20

Lots of good snorkeling in the Abacos as well.

Spear fishing is no where near what it was in the past-- like many places over fishing/lobstering has reduced population. We have watched the population of "eatibles" decrease, but our first trip was in the early 1990's.

Still fun and you should be able to do some good.

Remember hand spear ONLY. Spear guns are illegal! Also, no tanks, air systems of any kind for spear fishing.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote