Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 13:09   #1

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Ghost Fleet Overlord And COLREG Impacts

With the Navy's "Ghost Fleet Overlord" sailing large unmanned ships around the oceans, I wonder how that doesn't violate the COLREGs? As we know, Military technology filters down to the public and many solo sails must be interested in this tech as there's been many discussion about solo sailors sleeping and compliance to rule 5. But if the boat has systems on-board "to maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing" then we can all sleep safe and sound, right!? haha...

What is a "proper lookout" in 2021? AIS, Radar and some fancy FLIR camera system, satellite imagery? This begs the question. Does a 'proper lookout' need to be Human at all???

for Reference
COLREG Rule 5 states: Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 13:37   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Ghost Fleet Overlord And COLREG Impacts

I really don't see any requirement that a human be the one maintaining the lookout. An autonomous vessel would probably be more in compliance with this than one that simply monitors and tries to wake the onboard wetware.

My take on AI is that it needn't be perfect, it simply has to be better than the humans, and sometimes that's a pretty low bar.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 13:41   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Also, much like drones that fly, these unmanned vessels likely have 24/7 human overwatch involved, on top of the AI. The Navy isn't just going to wind up the crank and set ships loose in the Ocean.
Old 15-01-2021, 13:46   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
I really don't see any requirement that a human be the one maintaining the lookout. An autonomous vessel would probably be more in compliance with this than one that simply monitors and tries to wake the onboard wetware.

My take on AI is that it needn't be perfect, it simply has to be better than the humans, and sometimes that's a pretty low bar.

AIS will pay better attention but it will be decades before their recognition can match humans.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 13:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I'd love some of that tech that maintains a watch so I could catch some z's. Colregs be damned, that fancy tech has got to be better than any old sailor after 24-hours awake trying to catch 20 minutes shut-eye while crossing some channel. Unfortunately, my sailing budget is no where near the military, so it will be a while before that "trickles down" to my boat.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 13:56   #6

Boat: Other people's boats

Looks like there's decent progress in this area: https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...es-effectively
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 14:06   #7

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Haha, yes our Navy has set the bar low. We crash billion dollar boats practically every year!
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote