Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 09:17   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Irwin 31 Citation
Best time to sail south from NY

Hey everyone, I am here to post a pretty broad yet basic question.

I am planning a passage south from NY to FL at the end of hurricane season, end of November.

I have been doing a lot of research about best practices, places to stay, places to avoid. So of course Hatteras comes up in conversation. From reading around what people say about passing Hatteras is, don't go too late (past Nov 15) because it can get rough and even experienced sailors have had major problems there.

So my question is basically this, when is the best time to sail south, ideal date to leave before, and do you go offshore or keep it tight.

I appreciate all thoughts and comments.
eugenesdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:32   #2

Re: Best time to sail south from NY

Personally I would prefer earlier then later, meaning end of September to mid October. The weather really starts winding up ladder part of October (after 20 years of offshore fishing I can attest to this), not sure you really need to be past a certain date line for hurricanes in the fall, yes Sandy, but you know what I mean.

As far as Hatteras I would go into Norfolk and take the back way jumping out by Morehead City NC.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks MarlinMike, I am thinking I am going to leave south shore of Long Island when I originally planned to, try to cut into Pamlico Sound as far north as I can find an inlet, stay around Oriental NC for awhile, and eventually follow your idea headed south to FL. If the winter weather is not that bad, I may even cut the itinerary short and stay in NC / SC. We'll let weather guide my decisions. I'm just trying to avoid another NY winter!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:32   #4
Eternal Member

eugenesdream,

Easy peasy. Dozens of boats are doing it...right now!

Get your boat to Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook). Wait for a weather window to come down the NJ coast. There are several good inlets along the way if you have to stop....Barnegat Bay, Abescon (Atlantic City), Cape May.

Go on up Delaware Bay and the Delaware River to the C&D Canal, taking you into the northern Chesapeake. Take your time and enjoy the Bay....there are dozens of wonderful and safe places to visit.

Then, when you're ready (and before Thanksgiving) head on south from Norfolk via the ICW to Beaufort NC. From there you can jump outside if you like, or continue on down the ICW.

You'll find plenty of boats doing the same thing. There'll be plenty of company and chances to compare notes.

Bill
s/v Born Free
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:38   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The best time to leave NYC to head south:

I was there at 79th st Boat Basin and one day, a Monday, all the ducks had disappeared. I asked the marina where they had gone and he said: They've all flown south for the winter.
I said; Well I better go!!!!!!!!
He said, Nay, theres plenty of warm weeks to go.
2 days later all the Geese had disappeared!
Nah, said the marina guy. Plenty of time left.
I left the next day, the 18th of September and that was the LAST weather window of good weather to do NYC to Norfolk.

So don't listen to people. Watch nature!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Seems like the best I am going to be able to do is end of November, so I am hoping the weather will let me get to Norfolk with no issues.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
eugenesdream,

Easy peasy. Dozens of boats are doing it...right now!

Get your boat to Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook). Wait for a weather window to come down the NJ coast. There are several good inlets along the way if you have to stop....Barnegat Bay, Abescon (Atlantic City), Cape May.

Go on up Delaware Bay and the Delaware River to the C&D Canal, taking you into the northern Chesapeake. Take your time and enjoy the Bay....there are dozens of wonderful and safe places to visit.

Then, when you're ready (and before Thanksgiving) head on south from Norfolk via the ICW to Beaufort NC. From there you can jump outside if you like, or continue on down the ICW.

You'll find plenty of boats doing the same thing. There'll be plenty of company and chances to compare notes.

Bill
s/v Born Free
I am going to do everything you have noted pretty closely, but unfortunately it is going to be a bit later then Thanksgiving. Wish me luck.
Old 09-09-2014, 19:44   #8
Eternal Member

OK, but go as early as you possibly can.

In 1989 I left Washington DC the day after Thanksgiving headed for Florida. Brushed 8" of snow off my decks as I left, and the further south I went the worse it got.

Worst day of all was in St. Augustine! Yes, in Florida! Blowing a full gale, 26 degrees Fahrenheit, and an ice storm! They closed I95 for two days in Florida because the bridges were iced and frozen.

That was the worst I've ever heard of.

Most years it's cold but do-able.

Good luck,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:27   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Eugene.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 18:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenesdream View Post
I am going to do everything you have noted pretty closely, but unfortunately it is going to be a bit later then Thanksgiving. Wish me luck.
Excellent advice, except that Beaufort/Morehead City North Carolina is light years better than Oriental. Excellent restaurants, better wind and water.
rhhmadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 18:41   #11

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The best time to leave NYC to head south:

I was there at 79th st Boat Basin and one day, a Monday, all the ducks had disappeared. I asked the marina where they had gone and he said: They've all flown south for the winter.
I said; Well I better go!!!!!!!!
He said, Nay, theres plenty of warm weeks to go.
2 days later all the Geese had disappeared!
Nah, said the marina guy. Plenty of time left.
I left the next day, the 18th of September and that was the LAST weather window of good weather to do NYC to Norfolk.

So don't listen to people. Watch nature!

Another proof of the old saying

" Duck off before you get goosed "
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 18:46   #12

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Are you leaving so late because you're waiting for the end of hurricane season? If that is the only reason you're delaying, I would suggest leaving now and paying attention to the weather -- you'll get days to get yourself to a hurricane hole should one come along.

If your insurance is barring you until after hurricane season, as many do, does it draw a line (30.5degrees? St. Mary's, Georgia?) If so, I suggest you go down to just north of the line and wait for the date. You can probably call your insurance company a few days before the date (usually 1 Nov) and if the forecast is clear for the next week they'll give you a go-ahead.

Best of luck.

Either way, good luck.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:12   #13

Boat: C&C 37C

I’m closing on a house in South Carolina February 10th. I have to be out of my slip in NYC by May 1. Any thoughts on what type of weather I’ll get in April going south in my C&C 37?
My_Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 12:03   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

2016 we left Delaware on April 2 in t shirt and tank top. 2 days later we had on cold water flotation suits and were damn glad of them. We holed up in the Solomons for a bit then pilled into Deltaville on a nice spring day. The next morning a front came through, knocked down some signs and it snowed and hailed all day. No meaningfully accumulation.

So that kind of sums it up.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 17:19   #15

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
OK, but go as early as you possibly can.

In 1989 I left Washington DC the day after Thanksgiving headed for Florida. Brushed 8" of snow off my decks as I left, and the further south I went the worse it got.

Worst day of all was in St. Augustine! Yes, in Florida! Blowing a full gale, 26 degrees Fahrenheit, and an ice storm! They closed I95 for two days in Florida because the bridges were iced and frozen.

That was the worst I've ever heard of.

Most years it's cold but do-able.

Good luck,

Bill
HA! Just read this and I drove south on 95 from NC to St Pete florida during that storm. Took 20+ hours and the ice on some parts of 95 was 2 inches thick.

Tags
sail