Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2021, 17:09   #1

What is official source for ICW draw bridge clearance in Florida

Hi all - My boat, a 47ft NautiTech power catamaran, has a 21ft air clearance for bridges, and most ICW draw bridges in South Florida are between 20 and 25ft. So needless to say important to know the bridge clearance. Now here is the frustration: a ton of websites provide bridge clearance for the ICW in Florida, most of them use MHW as the tide standard, BUT literally all of them quote different numbers. The differences are not trivial (e.g. tidal differences). For example, for the Hallendale Beach Bridge in Broward / Miami, one website says 22ft at MHW tide, the other says 31ft at MHW tide. Errrrr? Both state measured at center of the bridge, with typically a 4ft offset between center of drawbridge and sides of drawbridge. So .... could anyone recommend the most reputable / official source for drawbridge clearance. Understand the impact of tides, thus data gets standardized at MHW. I also know I can hail the bridge operator and ask for clearance on a particular day, but would be good to know there is an official source as well. Thanks!!!!!
Joweyenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 17:20   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: What is official source for ICW draw bridge clearance in Florida

Well, generally no, you cannot hail the bridge operator and ask. I hear people ask the time and the bridgetender will just tell them to look at the tide board and judge for themself. From appearances they are forbidden for giving the clearance out, for liability reasons I'd assume.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 17:25   #3

Interesting - didn't think about that liability, but makes total sense. Unfortunately, a lot of bridges in South Florida don't have a tide board at the starboard side of the bridge (as they should, but hey, it is Florida after all, sunny state for shady people!) .... what would be a good online source?
Old 09-01-2021, 05:38   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Go to the charts (NOAA, for example); bridge clearances are included.

-Chris
Old 09-01-2021, 05:48   #5

Charts will include the info. Past that, rely on the height boards on the bridge.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:25   #6

Boat: Endeavour, CC Ketch 40ft

I've found the following Iphone apps to be very helpful: "Nautical Charts and Maps" from NOAA Marine Navigation Data, "AV Assistant 2" and "Nearest Light". I am a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and I use these when conducting ATONs verifications. They are free and easy to use. Just remember that heights and depths are in meters for the Nautical Charts and Maps.
jlblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:32   #7

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I wouldn’t travel the ICW without a copy of SKIPPER BOB ANCHORAGES ALONG THE INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY ICW on board. Has everything that you’re looking for and tons more information. Most ICW marinas that have a store sell them.

I have to ask.....why are you concerned about draw bridge clearance, it’s a DRAW BRIDGE ? :-)
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:32   #8

The Waterway Guide is excellent.

Until it isn't.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/explor...42&mode=bridge
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:39   #9

Most draw bridges only open twice per hour during daytime in South Florida (so can't request bridge opening). And there are a LOT of bridges on the ICW between Broward and Miami. Thus important to know if we can squeeze under the bridge without needing Xanax, alcohol or meditation to sweat it out :-)

Continuing to use Hallandale Beach Boulevard draw bridge in Broward County on Intrascoastal Waterway as an example (but discrepancies are on all bridges), thought you would like this example:

Height of draw bridge in closed position (all data should be based on mean high water (MHW):

- Navionics: 22 ft
- Waterway Guide: 26 ft
- F.I.N.D. (Florida gov website): 36 ft
- Garmin Active Captain: map says 22ft in center (data straight from NOAA), click on the data to get detail, and it says 26ft (go figure, very confusing!)
- CruisersWiki: 24ft + additional 4 ft in center, so center 28ft
- Offshore Blue: 26 ft
- Tide Boards: prefer NOT to use that information, because Florida tide boards often measure height from either lowest bridge point or from hanging lamps on the side of the bridge (so does not reflect clearance in center); there are also reports that some Florida cities altered the information on the tide boards to avoid litigation (in essence building in a significant margin of error of a few feet) - so no longer know what to believe.

So in essence, depending on the source, the bridge has a clearance anywhere between 22ft and 36ft, so a 14ft variation in data source! If you are a boater, that is massive! My boat has a 21ft clearance, so 22ft bridge would make me VERY nervous (I'd probably wait for bridge to open), whereas a 26ft or 36ft clearance would make me very comfortable, thus not waiting for bridge opening, or requesting bridge opening.*
Old 09-01-2021, 13:57   #10

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

Just go to Ft Lauderdale and then jump outside and run down to Government Cut or farther south to the channel south of Key Biscayne.
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 14:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesspursuit View Post
Just go to Ft Lauderdale and then jump outside and run down to Government Cut or farther south to the channel south of Key Biscayne.
+1

Why transit an unsightly long ditch with many impediments when one could easily just go offshore to cruise proper.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 14:17   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joweyenb View Post
Interesting - didn't think about that liability, but makes total sense. Unfortunately, a lot of bridges in South Florida don't have a tide board at the starboard side of the bridge (as they should, but hey, it is Florida after all, sunny state for shady people!) .... what would be a good online source?
Get OpenCPN, download maps, read the official heights straight off the maps.

I've had an early version on my Vista Laptop that still runs fine.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 14:20   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Most draw bridges only open twice per hour during daytime in South Florida (so can't request bridge opening). And there are a LOT of bridges on the ICW between Broward and Miami. Thus important to know if we can squeeze under the bridge without needing Xanax, alcohol or meditation to sweat it out :-)....*
You are on a boat, why are you trying to meet a schedule?

Have you considered rerigging the mast so you can drop it? Or are there a bunch of heavy things on it like RADAR?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 15:46   #14

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
So .... could anyone recommend the most reputable / official source for drawbridge clearance.

That would be the Light List.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/light...tList%20V3.pdf

I find the Navionics bridge clearance data to be unhelpful. In my area, the values they publish appear to match the clearances for record high water -- not the most useful datum on a river that is ordinarily a dozen feet or more below that.

The most recent version of the ENC data should match the light list but sometimes there are important notes in the light list that are not in the ENC data. Then again sometimes there are helpful diagrams of the bridges in the ENC data that are not present in the light list.

And I have encountered overhead obstructions that aren't in either one.

Good luck
Old 09-01-2021, 15:59   #15

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

NOAA charts say 26 ft. Waterway guide says 26 ft. The bridge tender's phone number is
954-456-6630 and they monitor channel 9.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-09 185642.png
Views:	71
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	230175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-09 185512.png
Views:	76
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	230176  

wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote