Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 19:43   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: ? from a newb, Coastal cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A few miles is fine, five is plenty and ten is way more than enough.
No Ken...not correct. You need to be far enough from the coast so cell phones no longer receive a signal. My crew member was surfing(cell phone)on his watch all the way down the Ca. coast. I came on watch one night to see a huge blip on the radar screen (See photo). My crew member was merrily shopping online on his phone. I asked him politely what he thought the blip was and he stated that he didn't know. I put the suggestion out there that it might be a ship. He looked into the darkness and said he did not see a ship. I told him that's why we have radar. So we can see on a screen that we otherwise cannot see in the blackness of night.
On my watch, I altered course 5 degrees putting us out the reach of a signal. I could tell he wasn't happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar ship.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	138541  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 20:23   #47

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

When Sailing from Seattle to San Francisco, I pretty much single-handed the boat all the way. I had my wife with me, but getting her to take over the helm I found to be a challenge.

Because of that, I only day hopped between ports all the way except for 2 24 hour runs which was not fun being at the helm and handling the sails all the time.

I stayed about 20 miles out where I experience very little traffic until I got about 200 miles form San Francisco. keep in mind this was during the month of October and most fishing was closed at the time.

In all we crossed 7 river bars and stayed in ports until we saw a good 2-3 day weather window.

A sailor needs to be prepared to navigate river bars at night if needed and deal with rough bars at times.

We got caught in one bar that tossed our Mariner 40 around like a paddle boat.

Overall we really enjoyed exploring the coast and got to see much of it.

Keep in mind that for most cruising boats, 100 miles out is at least 2 days worth of sailing, 24 hours to get out there and 24 hours to get back in. If you are trying to tuck in because of bad weather, it will likely bite you before you will be able to get in to a port, let alone trying to cross a river bar in bad weather!

So the guys that go out 100 miles are already committed to go through whatever weather conditions they are confronted with, and usually do not plan on stopping until they get to their destination, so a good crew, or autopilot and all the gear for offshore sailing would be a good idea.
Old 27-12-2016, 20:47   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post

Keep in mind that for most cruising boats, 100 miles out is at least 2 days worth of sailing, 24 hours to get out there and 24 hours to get back in. If you are trying to tuck in because of bad weather, it will likely bite you before you will be able to get in to a port, let alone trying to cross a river bar in bad weather!

So the guys that go out 100 miles are already committed to go through whatever weather conditions they are confronted with, and usually do not plan on stopping until they get to their destination, so a good crew, or autopilot and all the gear for offshore sailing would be a good idea.
Thanks for that large tad of logic, which seems to escape altogether too many.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 08:39   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
FYI Here's what you're looking for......

1981 Skookum Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

No affiliation at all.
A nice looking vessel!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 15:53   #50

Boat: Nauticat 32

To me "coastal" means ability to sneak in to the nearest marina when the weather is about to turn worse. "Blue water" refers to any boat that meets _your_ seaworthiness and other criteria for sailing longer than "coastal" passages.

I propose you keep reading and dreaming for the next 3-4 years, and maybe sail a bit where and when you can. By then you will have much better understanding on what _your_ needs for a PNW and blue water capable boat are. It sounds like you could pick a good boat already now, but it doesn't harm to dream and think and test potential boats few years more .
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 17:29   #51

Boat: 2019 TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
To me "coastal" means ability to sneak in to the nearest marina when the weather is about to turn worse. "Blue water" refers to any boat that meets _your_ seaworthiness and other criteria for sailing longer than "coastal" passages.

I propose you keep reading and dreaming for the next 3-4 years, and maybe sail a bit where and when you can. By then you will have much better understanding on what _your_ needs for a PNW and blue water capable boat are. It sounds like you could pick a good boat already now, but it doesn't harm to dream and think and test potential boats few years more .

This^^^^. Very much this.
Old 29-12-2016, 13:11   #52

Boat: Nicholson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
FYI Here's what you're looking for......

1981 Skookum Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

No affiliation at all.
Funny, this boat is where we found our first boat - a Nic 38 ketch. Like you, we planned to sail her up the coast for a few years and make that "left turn". In all, we spent 5 summers and did some 10k nm and worked our way up to Glacier Bay. My wife even wrote a reference book about winds and currents in that area. Then this summer, we did make that left turn, and are now in Hilo, Hawai'i. Very happy too!

A few points. The upper BC coast is fabulous, but you can be far from assistance, and you will need to be self sufficient - this is wilderness cruising. You will probably go aground, you may hit an uncharted rock or two - we did and thanked St Elmo we had a rugged keel with a protected rudder and prop. So, my first point is that I'd suggest you don't consider boats that you would not use to make the left turn.

Secondly, while you can stick to protected channels in BC (meaning little or no wind, so you will motor 80% of the time), you will see some very special places if you venture off the beaten path. But, in these places, you can get some strong land effects happening - and suddenly find yourself beating into 30 knot winds when the forecast was mild conditions. The nearest anchorage might be only 5 miles away, but you want a boat that can get you there.

Summer sailing up north can be cold. Our Nic 38 has an enclosed center cockpit - we sailed in shirtsleeves even in the rain. A diesel heater is a must!!

Lastly, we're very happy that we got our "blue water" boat at the start - it gave us time to really learn to sail her, to fix her up the way we wanted, and to trust her absolutely.
Old 29-12-2016, 13:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Funny, this boat is where we found our first boat - a Nic 38 ketch. Like you, we planned to sail her up the coast for a few years and make that "left turn". In all, we spent 5 summers and did some 10k nm and worked our way up to Glacier Bay. My wife even wrote a reference book about winds and currents in that area. Then this summer, we did make that left turn, and are now in Hilo, Hawai'i. Very happy too!

A few points. The upper BC coast is fabulous, but you can be far from assistance, and you will need to be self sufficient - this is wilderness cruising. You will probably go aground, you may hit an uncharted rock or two - we did and thanked St Elmo we had a rugged keel with a protected rudder and prop. So, my first point is that I'd suggest you don't consider boats that you would not use to make the left turn.

Secondly, while you can stick to protected channels in BC (meaning little or no wind, so you will motor 80% of the time), you will see some very special places if you venture off the beaten path. But, in these places, you can get some strong land effects happening - and suddenly find yourself beating into 30 knot winds when the forecast was mild conditions. The nearest anchorage might be only 5 miles away, but you want a boat that can get you there.

Summer sailing up north can be cold. Our Nic 38 has an enclosed center cockpit - we sailed in shirtsleeves even in the rain. A diesel heater is a must!!

Lastly, we're very happy that we got our "blue water" boat at the start - it gave us time to really learn to sail her, to fix her up the way we wanted, and to trust her absolutely.

Great input and noted. Did your wife publish her reference book? Or was it just for personal notes?
Old 30-12-2016, 12:54   #54

Boat: Nicholson 38

Hi, she published it on Amazon. You can find it there by searching for the title, "Taken by the Wind". Actually, it's even faster to search for "r2ak" (race to Alaska). (I'm not allowed by Cruiser's Forum rules to post a link, but it's easy to find).

She calls it a reference book because it is not a "guide" to anchorages or anything like that, instead it is a book focused on understanding the science behind local winds and currents, so you can spend more time sailing. It also provides a great deal of reference material for the region, including for instance monthly windroses for most of the weather reporting stations. She wrote it to be used as you are sailing in the region and having to make decisions about your route each day.

You can see about 40% of the book in the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 18:01   #55

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Krisb007, if you would like we could get together for a couple pints at the Scuttlebutt in Everett. I am in Snohomish now, boat still in Anacortes. It is a good place to bring in the New Year. PM me if interested. Sunseeker
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 19:10   #56

Boat: hinckley b40

Could not agree with Kelkara more. It makes no sense to sit around thinking about your dream trip and then getting a boat and taking off. Get a boat that works for you now. Add radar, auto pilot, etc and practice using it until you become proficient. In a few years if that is still your dream, sell her and get another boat (if needed). You will be a more experienced sailor and have a better idea of what you really need/want and will know if you really like sailing or just the idea of sailing.
Old 30-12-2016, 19:23   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Once the depth is over your head, it doesn't matter how far out you travel. Where you choose to run for a smoother ride is dependent on the depth and sea conditions. In the PNW there is a prevailing NW to W swell that never completely disappears. When the swell is 20'+ and the ocean becomes shallower, you get a ground swell that is steeper and higher than the original ocean swell. That can happen at 5 miles or 50 miles. It depends on the depth and the shape of the bottom.
Most ships travel at about 15 to 20 miles out. Running the coast in a fishing boat, I found a better ride and less fuel expended about 25 miles out. Usually I tried for 300 fathoms or more. There are a number of banks (shallows) along the coast. The swells get steeper as they approach. I usually stay at least 5 miles outside of them.
There are currents, too. Easy to find if you're trolling fishing gear. One called the California current is just off the coast going south. Heading north, it's better to be further out to miss it. At times I thought the current could be 1/2knot +.
You need to watch the weather. Many of the bars get closed in stormy conditions.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 21:06   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
Krisb007, if you would like we could get together for a couple pints at the Scuttlebutt in Everett. I am in Snohomish now, boat still in Anacortes. It is a good place to bring in the New Year. PM me if interested. Sunseeker

That sounds like a great idea, but I am in Cali this week visiting family. I will take a rain check for after the new year. First round is on me!
Old 31-12-2016, 10:14   #59

Toaster, I looked up "Taken by the Wind," on Amazon and my nook @ $44.00 it is a bit steep for me. I love and have many nautical books. Are there any used copies laying around your house you could part with? Sunseeker
Old 31-12-2016, 10:23   #60

Krisb007, have fun in Calif. But watch out for the San Andrus Fault! That's going to let loose one of these days and we will be shut of a lot of that Coast. We actually have some good sailing days coming up in Feb. I go out weather permitting. Also a great little pub is "Tobys" in Coupville best mussels and garlic bread in the States. Washed down with one of our micro brews of course. It is a good place to spend an evening or two. A sailor hang out but be careful of the witch, for a dock master! Sunseeker

Tags
cruising