Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 18:25   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Free AIS Ship Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
True. I think most CF'ers know this, but just to be complete, understand that the apps that put a virtual AIS postion on the web site ONLY work for others using that web site. Ships and boats will NOT see you.
Yup. A fun toy that provides absolute zero navigation or safety or awareness of boats around you. Great to know what your mates are doing. That is all it is good for.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 02:25   #32

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
Yup. A fun toy that provides absolute zero navigation or safety or awareness of boats around you. Great to know what your mates are doing. That is all it is good for.
Did anyone ever suggest it did?

I use it as my QTH is a long way from the sea.. and even further from my boat ..and it whiles away the long night watches when ashore... I also use flightradar24 but I don't even fly a 'plane... mind you the cook finds it handy to know when to crank up the limo to make a timely arrival at the airport to pick me up.
What I have found is that if I use my android POS phone to get FR24 it is as good as unuseable as it tries to flog me upgrades... maybe same issue with marine traffic
Old 20-01-2015, 03:27   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Gee DD, you really hate those sites egh. I find them handy to see who's coming and going and also check conditions. This morning I was checking. Conditions between islands and noticed yachts being knocked well below course so decided to wait for the wind to back to the east a bit more. It's handy to keep track of friends that are out if VHF range as well. Also a good heads up where or where not to anchor. Here's some goose in st martin you might or might not want to anchor next to..
Attachment 95721
Looks like that goose has been getting mostly easterlies. At least his anchor is holding so he can spend his days in the local pub without worrying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goose.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	95762  
Old 20-01-2015, 03:51   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Gotta come back & peruse this later.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 18:06   #35

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Just used Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic. Other than a new format, it works the same as always... free.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 01:20   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Did anyone ever suggest it did?

I use it as my QTH is a long way from the sea.. and even further from my boat ..and it whiles away the long night watches when ashore... I also use flightradar24 but I don't even fly a 'plane... mind you the cook finds it handy to know when to crank up the limo to make a timely arrival at the airport to pick me up.
What I have found is that if I use my android POS phone to get FR24 it is as good as unuseable as it tries to flog me upgrades... maybe same issue with marine traffic
Love Flight Radar 24. We live 10 minutes from the airport. I see the arriving flight on FR24 then see it fly past, I finish my coffee then drive to pick up the missus. Time management at its MAX. I use Ipad.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 01:32   #37

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
Love Flight Radar 24. We live 10 minutes from the airport. I see the arriving flight on FR24 then see it fly past, I finish my coffee then drive to pick up the missus. Time management at its MAX. I use Ipad.
Ditto.... at the other end my chauffeurs use it so we can avoid parking fees etc upon my arrival and I can be whisked away to my gin palace muy pronto.

Likewise marinetraffic is v handy... I can see if someone has nicked me boat while I am ashore , drinking gin, by the pool.....
Yours etc
Ping, Esq
Old 29-01-2015, 02:12   #38

Yes, a $600 unit does a better job but certainly better some info than nothing and since most people already have a smart phone it's free. It's silly to say you shouldn't check it occasionally if you have the ability.

Just like any other navigational device, it shouldn't be used to the exclusion of other available information most specifically, your eyes. Obviously, it's only good if you have cell coverage but if you are coastal cruising, that's 99% of the time and that is also when it is most useful. Especially for large commercial ships, the lag time isn't a big issue unless you are trying to cut too close in front of them in the first place (I presume, you would actually look out the window to see where the ship is before cutting in front of them regardless of what the instruments say).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais