Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 08:15   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Electronic Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulls View Post
My intention was to stay away from focusing on the errors leading to the grounding but to focus on the maps. I was hoping to start a discussion on quality of the electronic charts.
The problem with that precept is the VW accident had nothing whatever to do with the quality of electronic charts. You will be hard pressed to find an accident where that is a proximate cause or even a significant contributing factor. If you can find such an accident then that might make a better starting point.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:35   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
NOAA charts? Do you know where the subject location of this debate occured?

Quote:

I was wondering what your experience is with electronic charts. What software do you use and have you run into lack of detail?
Quote:
My intention was to stay away from focusing on the errors leading to the grounding but to focus on the maps. I was hoping to start a discussion on quality of the electronic charts.

OP is in SoCal, and his question seems more focused on viability of electronic charts, not the incident.

-Chris
Old 13-03-2015, 06:54   #18
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The problem with that precept is the VW accident had nothing whatever to do with the quality of electronic charts. You will be hard pressed to find an accident where that is a proximate cause or even a significant contributing factor. If you can find such an accident then that might make a better starting point.
Actually, "deficient cartography" is listed as one of the 2 Contributing Factors in the cause of the grounding, according to the report:

Quote:
123. Contributing factors

were deficient use of electronic charts and other navigational data and a failure to identify the potential danger, and

Deficient cartography in presenting the navigational dangers on small and medium scale (or zoomed out) views on the electronic chart system in use.
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 11:18   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

Yes, I read that in the report. That is the opinion of the investigators. I also think there was no evidence presented in the report that convinced me it is correct. I have great respect for the 3 investigators and do not want my disagreement to indicate otherwise. But no evidence was presented that a better chart would have helped. They had better charts on board and never bothered to look at them. They were running at night with no radar, no depth finder and the crew never looked at a chart plotter all night. Who does that?

I also note that Jeppesen did not cooperate in the investigation and wonder if perhaps they had a different view on that point. Or perhaps the issue was raised in the report in part because Jeppesen did not cooperate.

And while we are talking about that report what's this nonsense about a VOR boat can't have a functioning depth sounder? My wife has a jet ski that goes 50 knots and the depth finder works perfectly at all speeds. If they can't put a functioning depth finder on a canting keel then the VOR needs some new engineers, again in my opinion.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts