Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 06:53   #1
vr4

Diesel Fuel Availability in Bahamas near Marsh Harbor (After Hurricane Dorian) ?

Hi everyone, We have [had] a trip planned to the Bahamas from Florida for new years, and are trying to understand if there are any fuel docks that survived Dorian (Or that have been rebuilt) in the vicinity of Marsh Harbor, Bahamas. This trip is 3 months out, but one can never get started on planning too early.

Marsh Harbor is leveled , so curious if anyone can point us in the direction of where we might be able to purchase fuel. https://youtu.be/a7QcrUZz8oM?t=28

Information on the internet has been sparse, and I don't want to head over there and find ourselves in a no-fuel situation.

Thank you everyone in advance for the insights.
vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Diesel Fuel Availability in Bahamas near Marsh Harbor (After Hurricane Dorian) ?

We will avoid the Abaco’s entirely. Furthest North fuel would I assume be Spanish Wells?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:48   #3
vr4

Re: Diesel Fuel Availability in Bahamas near Marsh Harbor (After Hurricane Dorian) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Furthest North fuel would I assume be Spanish Wells?
Wow, that is not very close at all. Thanks for the tip. Could you imagine anything closer to Freeport being operational?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:11   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Saw a recent video of the Green Turtle Club docks and they are very much intact. They normally have fuel service. No idea if they are still pumping.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:15   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4 View Post
Wow, that is not very close at all. Thanks for the tip. Could you imagine anything closer to Freeport being operational?

No idea.
You a sail boat? I ask as we burned not much fuel in the six months we were there. There is almost always a wind from the East and most of our traveling was North / South.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:28   #6
vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You a sail boat?
No, not on this trip. 30gal/hr burn .

Thank you everyone for the insights. I called/emailed/left a message at the Grand Bahama Yacht Club - Home, but I feel like getting a response from them during "normal" operations is generally difficult, so TBD in the post-dorian world.

Any insights anyone has are very much appreciated.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:42   #7
vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4 View Post
I called/emailed/left a message at the Grand Bahama Yacht Club - Home, but I feel like getting a response from them during "normal" operations is generally difficult, so TBD in the post-dorian world.
Grand Bahama Yacht Club is fully operational. They responded and said they are open for business with plenty of fuel.

Anyone have any insights about the Abaco’s?
Old 08-10-2019, 09:13   #8

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Now is not the time to visit Abaco. Give us a few months.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:29   #9

Boat: Lipari 41

I think I saw where Spanish Cay had fuel but they like others may rationing it, also I suspect locals may have priority...Great Harbor Cay said they have it
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:56   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Diesel Fuel Availability in Bahamas near Marsh Harbor (After Hurricane Dorian) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2boat View Post
I think I saw where Spanish Cay had fuel but they like others may rationing it, also I suspect locals may have priority...Great Harbor Cay said they have it

Last year the power station sold fuel, and at a price that was the lowest I saw in the Bahama’s. A little more than $3.50 a gl off of memory, average price was about $5 a gl.
I assume they mostly have larger boats for customers, but do not know. Worth a call.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	201162
Old 16-10-2019, 11:49   #11
vr4

Looks like Treasure Cay has Gas/Diesel.
Old 20-10-2019, 03:50   #12

Sunset Marine on GTC has diesel and gas available. I’m there now but leaving today to bring my boat back.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 08:07   #13
vr4

@CarDude, thanks for the info!

Tags
Bahamas, diesel, fuel, hurricane