Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 05:31   #1

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Bridge Clearance on the Intracoastal Waterway

For those that run up and down the ditch.
What are the heights of the fixed bridges? I'm looking at a sailboat with 67' air height. Where am I going to run into trouble?

Especially on the east coast please.

2divers
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
AICW Bridge Clearances:
Controlling bridge height from Norfolk to Miami is 56 feet. With a single exception, all the non-opening bridges have a project height of 65 feet. The one exception is a fixed 56-foot bridge at Mile 1087 between Fort Lauderdale and Miami (36th St. Julia Tuttle Causeway).
The fixed Julia Tuttle Causeway Bridge sets the height limit for the ICW between Fort Lauderdale and Miami at 56 feet, crossing the ICW at Statute Mile 1087, south of unlighted daybeacon #39.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:58   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Not east coast but there is a max opening height 50ft bridge on the ICW at Houma, LA.

67ft puts you in that ICW no man's land..... so you'll enjoy (as I do) jumping in & out

Old 09-05-2007, 09:15   #4

With 67 feet you just need to forget about it and buy a copy of Dodge's guide to east coast inlets!! (G)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:33   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
In east central Florida water levels are currently running about a foot higher than normal. Bridge clearance is 64 feet.

You will have to go outside.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49   #6

Well.....

I need to replace the mast anways. The in-mast roller furling system is more or less shot. I was wondering if it would be worth it to cut a few feet off the new mast height. 64' or so max... sounds like for the one bridge at 56 feet I would just have to head out and dodge anyways. probably a fair number of people need to do that.

I was planning on keeping the same mast cross section, so it should be stronger relatively speaking and it should fit back where it was without a problem. And then I need to get new sails.... hmmmm...

Thanks all!
Old 09-05-2007, 13:20   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Remember that if you cut the mast down to 64'...you'll still need to make sure everything on top (windex, antenna, navlights, etc.) is mounted lower--not above.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 21:47   #8

Talk to a sailmaker

If you're thinking about re-rigging that extremely, you'll want better advice. Make sure you can hoist enough sail to keep her sailing in your home waters. Hans Christian's aren't known for greyhound-like performance; you might want to reconsider cutting off that much mast height and just plan to go outside regularly. (Would love to see a gaff Hans... could cut more than a few feet off and still have the sail area.)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 14:00   #9

Ok

In the interest of saving money on sails, brain cells for me and heartache for everyone involved, roughly how many fixed bridges are there on the east coast version of the canal?
IE roughly how many times would I have to jump outside for a section because I had an overheight mast on a trip from NY to Fort Lauderdale?

2divers
Old 10-05-2007, 17:13   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Please see Bridge Regulations to my knowledge the best info available ... and it is out of date & innacurate .... Hell ... that's what ya get fer livin in a 3rd world country.
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 18:58   #11

Here's the rest:
Intercoastal Waterway Bridge Schedules

Bottom line...if you want to use the ICW...get a mast 64 or less unless you enjoy Cape Hatteras!!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I highly recommend Tom Dove’s free on-line ICW Guide, written by contributing cruisers:
Tom Dove Home Page

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 15:23   #13

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2divers
In the interest of saving money on sails, brain cells for me and heartache for everyone involved, roughly how many fixed bridges are there on the east coast version of the canal?
IE roughly how many times would I have to jump outside for a section because I had an overheight mast on a trip from NY to Fort Lauderdale?

2divers
2divers,
Is your boat really a Hans Christian 38? If so, its mast height can't be 67 feet. Probably more like 56.

Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 18:23   #14

Hans Christian

Paul,
I realized that about 24 hours ago after looking though some sales listings... Then I called my dad who (still) owns the boat and got some minor info change.. It's a 40' LOA Christina and I still have a hard time believing 67 feet, but I can't verify. I hope I've been told wrong and it is ~56' as that would make life a lot easier. But I still have to replace the mast, I've seen that personally. I'm not a real proponet of in mast furling anyways being an engineer. I happen to like the KISS principle as it always cost less in the long run.

My bad, you are right!

Too everyone else who responded, THANK YOU! The knowledge base on this board continually astounds me as I probably would not have found those links on my own.

2divers
Old 11-05-2007, 21:03   #15

2Divers...I can't find the spec on the 40 but the Christina 43 has a mast to deck height of 50' so to waterline is maybe 56 feet. Hard to believe the 40 would be any higher...but a tape measure on a halyard will tell the tale. You might even make it under the Julia Tuttle!

BTW...the Hans Christian owners group does not show a 40 being made. Are you sure it is not the 43?? Maybe he isn't counting the bowsprit!