Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2021, 16:58   #46

Re: Big $$$ Chartplotter or Computer App(s)

Well the replies have been interesting and informative. For now I will, in all probability, use a remote mounted PC, (inside and dry) along with a high output (1200 nits) industrial 24" touch screen display. Next up, interfacing with the NMEA 2000 (sort of a) network. Sorry, after reading its specs and low data rates I am not impressed but most of the marine hardware is stuck on it.

If it doesn't work out I'll get a truck load of money and spend it on a chart plotter and other proprietary "stuff".
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 00:34   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
The trouble with tablets and smart phones are they are not waterproof and not sunlight readable. Chart plotters have high intensity displays.
This is what I found also. At the time, I had a Toshiba click II. The slightest moisture and you had to wait 24 hours for it to dry out and turn back on. It always had to be under the dodger to see it. I finally gave up and went to using paper charts. Good for course planning and good in conjunction with AIS and best in the cabin but always a worry sliding and falling on the sole.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:46   #48

Boat: Hanse 430e

I bought a sailboat with 12 year old SIMRAD electronics package. All the LCD screens were shot, and all the wiring was corroded. At first I tried cobbling it together with chewing gum and bailing wire but soon gave up when the AP failed and I had to handsteer 3 days. It was then that it occurred to me to just replace it all with the newest and best that I could afford. Its about my pleasure and enjoyment. I do NOT want to work extra, I want to enjoy the voyage.

So a new B&G package with a 12" Vulcan between the helms, triton 2's at each helm, VHF with AIS rec/tran at desk and remote at helm. 4G radar, new AP and compass, DST and wind. all NMEA 2k. Samsung Tab to carry around and do routing with the B&G app.

If you like dicking around with electronics then a home brewed system might work for you. I just wanted to enjoy my trip and have everything work together seamlessly. I did install it all myself, it aint hard.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:06   #49

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Well the replies have been interesting and informative. For now I will, in all probability, use a remote mounted PC, (inside and dry) along with a high output (1200 nits) industrial 24" touch screen display. Next up, interfacing with the NMEA 2000 (sort of a) network. Sorry, after reading its specs and low data rates I am not impressed but most of the marine hardware is stuck on it.

If it doesn't work out I'll get a truck load of money and spend it on a chart plotter and other proprietary "stuff".
A remote PC? Really?

I guess if you already have an old one you aren't using but that thing will suck down some power.

You could use a $50-$99 Raspberry Pi computer for that. I use that with a GPS Puck ($15) and then download OpenCPN free charts and you have an instant chart Plotter.

I also feed in AIS and backup GPS data from my SH VHF radio using the NMEA 0183 through an RS 485 USB adapter so this is also displayed on the HDTV.

My display at this time is on a 19" HDTV.

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...a-833869585324

https://www.adafruit.com/product/456...CABEgJyrPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-Ex.../dp/B078Y52FGQ

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2_adapter.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPi 4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	241606  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:59   #50

Boat: Privilege 37

Planning - on a laptop using OpenCPN and some old charts. Waypoints transferred to a raymarine 8inch display which also sends data to the autopilot.

Why because I often plan before going to my vessel, and this is the easiest way.
When onboard, I can feed GPS data to the laptop from a second gps, so I have a secondary system, I also keep track on my paper chart.

However, my main system at sea is the Raymarine. This is located at the wheel, so in confined waters I have instant knowledge of where I have been. As I normally sail singlehanded, I find this system works best for me.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:06   #51

Boat: J30

I’m in the process of working out a raspberry pi solution.
Pi 3b+ (less current draw and heat than the 4) $35
dAISy hat by Wegmatt $69
GPS puck ~$20
VHF antenna $25
Openplotter software -free

Currently using an iPad wirelessly via VNC server. The software setup was really simple. Those guys have done a great job at making it so.
The only issue I’m running into is how to make it completely weatherproof. Leaning towards mounting in a pelican case.
I’m mounting the iPad on a swing away arm in the companionway. It’s not too good in the sunlight. I looked into a sunlight readable weatherproof display and for the cost I’d go with a chart plotter instead. All the data from the pi can be easily output to NMEA 0183 or 2000 with some additional inexpensive hardware.
Anyways, best of luck with whatever you choose!
Nago Suka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:07   #52

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Chartplotters are not that expensive any more. My approach is integrated CP at the helm with back-up nav software on iPad with external GPS (Bad Elf) connected - the external GPS makes a real difference on iPad location accuracy. I have had a CP fail, and had to use the iPad as primary, which was fine. Also, you can get waterproof cases for the iPad. With nav systems, you want redundancy if you are planning to outside the US. Also, different systems allow to to have different software options.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:10   #53

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post

I suggest you get some experience before committing to that. You need nav information at the helm, not down below, especially if you plan to singlehand.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:19   #54

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I have been very happy with my nav setup. Samsung TabPro running Windows 10; charged with a usb port at the binnacle, wifi linked to a Vesper XB-8000 AIS transponder.

https://www.milltechmarine.com/XB-8000B1

I am running Rose Point Navigation "Coastal Explorer" with additional Canadian Charts.

I carry a spare TabPro and also have a Thinkpad both with Coastal Explorer loaded. The TabPro is loaded into a spring loaded tablet holder that is screwed to a small white plastic cutting board that is attached to the binnacle with bungees. The plate has a holder for the remote vhf head right next to the tablet.

I have found Coastal Explorer to be quite accurate.
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:23   #55

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
I suggest you get some experience before committing to that. You need nav information at the helm, not down below, especially if you plan to singlehand.
Actually you don't need it at the helm.........and I so for over 10 years am always sailing single handed. But I have never had charts etc except now so I'm use to using visual aids since the 70's.

You can go below and check then when you are in close enough say 10 miles or so on a good day use visual signs.

Then when anchoring in shallow water away from the channel markers have your monitor or HDTV positioned where you can see your boat's progress in the shallows on the chart as you creep in to your spot.

I have tiller steering so I can stand at the companionway and see my HDTV leaning against the back of the settee or lying face up on the port counter top.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:34   #56

Boat: Cal25 - Mark II

Full time liveaboard (retired and glad of it).
Have built in Garmin GPS 4210 Chartplotter at helm. It does all the things an integrated chartplotter should do plus draws a lot of power to run that big, bright screen.
However, for navigation I use a cheap Android tablet and smart phone loaded with Navionics and Aquamaps. I use depth sounding feature of Navionics constantly. So far it has been very accurate, but I only trust it in well traveled areas. Eyes and depth instruments watched in shallow or narrow areas.
My experience with the Garmin is that it occasionally places me squarely on land where there actually is no land and would consequently steer me into trouble if I used it's input. That's why the tablet and smart phone, both at helm running two independent charting software packages. This allows me three cross references with three independent GPS inputs.
The Garmin still does the radar and AIS duties because the tablet and phone do not have these inputs.
This system has worked well for me for over 5 years with replacement for the phone once (not a failure, just upgrading) and the tablet once(dropped and broke&#128542
If it rains, both go into ziplock bags oriented so water can't get in where the charging cords enter. (I have a covered helm station with decent weather protection from most weather conditions.) Tablet and phone are kept high and well inboard to try to keep them dry, but if necessary I move them forward, thru a window, inside the boat.
Works for me, your mileage may vary.
MHTinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:58   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

An IPad in a splash cover (I use a Griffin Survivor) makes for a great helm plotter.
- gotta keep it out of the sun or it over heats & shuts down (was easy to place under dodger)
- needs a USB plug close by, or a lonnng cable

Mine also interfaces with AIS & IridiumGO/Predictwind, Cruising guides, Ovitalmap, gets used extensively.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:03   #58

Boat: Camano Troll

If you enjoy "fiddling with stuff", cobble together a system with computers, tablets and wireless devices that have to be kept charged and may have difficulties communicating with each other.

If you want a reliable, turnkey navigation system, buy a chart plotter with a depth sounder and be done with it. Flip the switch and go boating.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:14   #59

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Here is a picture of the setup I use. Even the large zip lock bag was good enough when needed for the occasional drips/spray under the bimini. Picture is crossing Hecate Strait. It does rain in Haida Gwaii occasionally. I am typing this on the TabPro in the picture....still working fine. The tablet is easy to move in and out of the cabin. Adjusting the tab brightness when needed helps to extend the battery life. Very flexible setup for upgrades, software updates, software changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Binnacle.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	241610  
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:46   #60

Boat: 1982 CT 54

Good Day all,

Forgive me I didn't read all the posts just the initial question so this might be a repeat of what has been said.

I have been a merchant marine master for over 23 years and I use all forms of electronic nav and I am highly proficient in the use of a sextant as well. I have used iPad, Macs, PCs, Androids, etc and the bottom line is NONE of them have passed any type of test for accuracy or dependability. Case in point, I have a brand new iPad Pro that I use iSalor on, while entering the channel in Guyana South America a few weeks ago the iPad just stopped updating GPS so no Navi. This has happed several times and I am not the only one talking about the dependability or lack thereof ALL tablets and their GPSs. We have a bunch of antidotal information from YouTubers sailing all over the world with just an old Android phone, can it be done - well it has, would I do it if I had other options HELL NO!
As a professional, I consider all tablets and phones as just toys and nothing that can be depended on. As far as laptops go it will depend on the GPS antenna you purchase and how dry you can keep that laptop and its connections.

On my sailboat, I have two independent marine GPS, a marine plotter, a sextant, paper charts for the South Pacific (where the best marine e-nav is lacking), and other backups.
The iPads and iPhones are toys and only used as such.

My answer is more about tablets and phones but I think you can see my point.

Just the two cents of an old navigator, be safe and have redundancy!
Happy Cruising to all!!!
Jim
shipchips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter