Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2022, 19:08   #106

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos
Re: Big $$$ Chartplotter or Computer App(s)

With your thoughts, we too are looking to get a B&G system for our new install in a 32' Bayfield sailboat. Running a Vulcan 9 with a ZG100 GPS to track a waypoint only, how long can they both run off two fully charged golf cart lead acid batteries? Or what is the drain of these two devices: Vulcan 9 & ZG100 GPS? We will also have Triton² Speed/Depth/Wireless Wind Pack (x2 Displays). I need load in terms of Amperage with the Vulcan 9 and ZG100 GPS running. If running anything else we will probably start the engine especially when using the HALO20 RADAR. Maybe we should use a Vulcan 7 to lower the load. Anyway, I put in a request to get the amperage from B&G and will post it here. Thanks for the advice. We also want OpenCPN compatibility.
Old 18-04-2022, 00:15   #107
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
One of the major advantages of a PC system is the availability of chart sources that is of particular interest to those boats travelling far and wide.
Chart "plotters" are more restrictive in the areas available and more expensive if travelling through multiple areas.
European charts are not free , competition from MFD companies has tended to drive plotter charts down and increased the coverage areas.

Hence pc charts convey little or no advantage as you are buying the same chart as a chart plotter ( often from exactly the same charts series )

By the time youve built or acquired a decent weather proof sunlight readable screen and a rugged computer , youve spent more then a entry level chart plotter
Old 18-04-2022, 07:26   #108

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Hence pc charts convey little or no advantage as you are buying the same chart as a chart plotter ( often from exactly the same charts series )

I'd take O-charts any day over CMAP or Navionics. (Yes, I have all three.)

Here in Canada, o-charts more up-to-date (equal to CHS updates) compared to Navionics or CMAP (these do NOT include all CHS updates... at least, not timely: e.g., 6 mos later still not up to date).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 08:30   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
CHS raster is pricier but best. O-charts is same as CHS vector but much cheaper.
First, disclaimer - I love O-charts and the service they provide AND their response to my questions and concerns has been _fantastic_.

Unfortunately, the o-charts for me are showing one of two behaviours, despite a number of back and forths with them. I know they're working on it and trying to figure out what's going on, and I expect it will be cleared up eventually, but right now they are a no-go for me.

Area of coverage: Canadian NW from Vancouver Island northwards to the Alaskan border.

Behaviour is one of: Certain maps refuse to display in anything but extreme low resolution (what I think of as lava lamp mode) despite higher resolution charts being available in the same directory as other charts that display well.

or

crashes when I try to zoom in.

So, unfortunately, I've had to go spring $1,000.00 for the CHS charts.

I repeat - O-Charts has been fantastic about responding to me and they are working hard to figure out what the problem is. I expect that they will have it solved soon.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 16:27   #110

Boat: Sceptre 41

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully Hubert gets it solved for you. (FWIW, I use the same charts covering BC coast - - o-charts and CHS Raster - - on Android and PC without the issue you indicate.)

Be aware that CHS is dropping individual raster charts like crazy here on the west coast (and back east). They SAY they will replace with "appropriate" ENC, but so far no ENC in the packages updates and important rasters missing.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=260775
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter