Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2008, 20:18   #1

Boat: 44 footer
Bi-color bow lights?

Hi guys.

Refitting my 28 foot Triton, and wish to install a CG approved bi-color bow light with an LED. Trying to cut down on and cut down on power consumption, two 10w bulbs down...

Anyone have one? Mounted on the pulpit, or on the stem?

I'm curious if a stem mounted bi-light would be shielded from view on the high side while under sail?

Thanks for thoughts and reviews...

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 20:23   #2

I have a pulpit-mounted bicolour but it's not LED (yet). Definitely a chance that the high side will shield it when the boat is heeled. I tend to think that the times when it's most important for the light to be visible to other boats, entering and leaving harbour, or in fairly busy channels, are times when the boat is not likely to be heeled, so not sure if it is a big concern.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 20:34   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Rule 22:

Rule 22: Visibility of Lights
Old 20-04-2008, 21:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think what Zach is asking is not the range or the horizontal arc but the vertical arc. This would matter if the vertical arc of the nav light is less than the boats angle of inclination when heeling.

Zach, that is something you would have to check with the manufacturer or check it out for yourself. I believe the International Maritime Organizations (IMO) specs for navigation lights put into their specs a pretty broad range of vertical arc to cover vessels that either heel or roll from side to side in severe weather or while sailing, but I have no idea of the specifics. None the less, if you want the light to be legal, it needs to comply with IMO standards. Ask the manufacturer if it complies with IMO standards for a combined port-starboard light for a vessel under 12 meters in length...if not, I would walk away from the product. There are other LED lights out there that do meet IMO specifications.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 05:58   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Just my personal opinion here. I wouldn't mount anything that hangs in the way of lights. Breaking seas tend to make them disappear, or not work. I have experienced both.

While sailing up the coast of Baja I could not figure out why this boat kept coming at me. Finally I turned away, but the occupant on the other boat yelled out your *+:#~= bow light is not on.....HE WAS MAD!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 11:41   #6

David, thats exactly what I'm trying to figure out. When she's heeled over 15 degrees will my bow light be invisible.

With a kayak up on deck, my side light is covered and that just won't work.

The other pondering, is that my side lights are about ten feet from my stern light... so I'm assuming when being overtaken a bow light will make for a little bit more respect. 22.5 degrees and the lights will be 28 feet apart instead of ten...
Old 21-04-2008, 11:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
David, thats exactly what I'm trying to figure out. When she's heeled over 15 degrees will my bow light be invisible.

With a kayak up on deck, my side light is covered and that just won't work.

The other pondering, is that my side lights are about ten feet from my stern light... so I'm assuming when being overtaken a bow light will make for a little bit more respect. 22.5 degrees and the lights will be 28 feet apart instead of ten...
Zach,
I know what you are saying but respect should be more than a function of size...everyone should comply with the rules regardless of their length and there are very few exceptions to vessels being overtaken being designated as the stand on vessel.

Did you call the manufacturer to find the vertical arc and whether or not the light meets IMO standards?

I would think that for a monohull the vertical arc should be at least 60 degrees total...30 degrees from the horizontal for each tack and for a catamaran, something less.

I would just buy one with the contingency that if it does not meet IMO standards or your vertical arc needs, then you have the option to return it.

David

Old 21-04-2008, 18:10   #8

Thanks guys.

At the moment I'm going to pull the wire and hold off on purchasing anything till I've got her back together to go sailing (hopefully next month!)

HELLA NAVILED BI-COLOR BOW LIGHT is what I'd like... but they aren't listed on Hellas website, and are out of stock everywhere. Look darn nice...
Old 21-04-2008, 18:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These guys seem to have it:

HELLA NAVILED BI-COLOR BOW LIGHT - Hella Navigation Lights by Discount Marine Supplies