Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 05:26   #691

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Thanks Panope, for the chart and the video info.

Your work on this subject is well appreciated. I think it can be safely said that your testing and presentations have become a prime resource, for those shopping for anchors, and for those of us interested in anchor performance.

Cheers.
Paul.

Agreed. This collection of testing is probably one of the most detailed and useful that's been done anywhere.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:20   #692

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:34   #693

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Hi Steve, thanks for this new video.

Looking at the assembly diagram on Mantus' website, it looks like the aluminum bushing either sits in the hole in the shank, or it presses the shank over to one side as you tighten the assembly down. You mentioned that the gap around the shank in the fluke slot might allow mud to be washed out more easily, is the shank free to wobble a bit in there when the it's all assembled? or is the shank pinned tightly to one side by the aluminum bushing?

Also, for the galvanized version that you have, is the bolt/washers/nut/pin stainless steel or galvanized steel?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 13:36   #694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Hi Steve, thanks for this new video.

Looking at the assembly diagram on Mantus' website, it looks like the aluminum bushing either sits in the hole in the shank, or it presses the shank over to one side as you tighten the assembly down. You mentioned that the gap around the shank in the fluke slot might allow mud to be washed out more easily, is the shank free to wobble a bit in there when the it's all assembled? or is the shank pinned tightly to one side by the aluminum bushing?

Also, for the galvanized version that you have, is the bolt/washers/nut/pin stainless steel or galvanized steel?
When the bolt is tightened, side-to-side wobbling disappears (bushing presses shank to one side), but a "fore and aft" movement (rotation around the bolt) remains. So, yes, I believe that simultaneous wiggling and rinsing should be good for keeping connection clean(er).

Bolt/washers/nut/cotter pin are all stainless. Bushing is aluminum.

I would be happy with a galvanized bolt (especially if it had a smooth shank), but a call to Mantus might be good to get their thoughts. They do use galvanized bolts exclusively on the (galvanized) M1.

Steve
Old 12-03-2021, 14:41   #695

Thanks Steve. Is the shank then noticeably off to one side? Does it remain inline with the center of the fluke? Do you think you could post a couple pictures showing how off center it is and how big a gap is left in the fluke socket? Thanks!

For your corrosion criteria, do you not consider a stainless steel to galvanized steel interaction to be dissimilar metals?
Old 12-03-2021, 15:14   #696

Boat: Sceptre 41

Steve, Could you please clarify explicitly your ratings. For some a rating of "1 to 5" suggests 1 is best and 5 is worst. For others, it may be the opposite. (I think you suggest 5 is best.)

In other words, is the rating "5 stars" or a rank of 5?

Of course, an average rating ranging from 2.8 to 4.3 might also be interpreted by some as not much difference overall.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 15:53   #697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Thanks Steve. Is the shank then noticeably off to one side? Does it remain inline with the center of the fluke? Do you think you could post a couple pictures showing how off center it is and how big a gap is left in the fluke socket? Thanks!

For your corrosion criteria, do you not consider a stainless steel to galvanized steel interaction to be dissimilar metals?
The amount that the fluke is "off center" is negligible. Maybe less than 1 mm. No issue in my opinion.

Stainless steel and Zinc (galvanizing) is certainly dissimilar. But, my feeling is the bolt is a tiny component compared to the whole anchor and therefore not likely to "eat" the galvanizing rapidly (I could be wrong). That said, a switch to a Galvanized bolt might be a good thing.

My "no dissimilar metals" comment was directed more toward the Spade anchor and it's massive blob of lead. I should have made that clear.

Steve
Old 12-03-2021, 16:08   #698

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Steve, Could you please clarify explicitly your ratings. For some a rating of "1 to 5" suggests 1 is best and 5 is worst. For others, it may be the opposite. (I think you suggest 5 is best.)

In other words, is the rating "5 stars" or a rank of 5?

Of course, an average rating ranging from 2.8 to 4.3 might also be interpreted by some as not much difference overall.
1 = low
5 = high

These ratings are a simple ranking between anchors tested. It is very difficult to give accurate, hard data about anchor tests. Even simple holding power numbers are hard to pin down due to the anchors motion. Things like resetting ability and veering are even more problematic.

One will need to go back and study my results carefully (or just ask me ) if they want a clearer picture of just "how much" better an anchor may be.

Old 12-03-2021, 16:33   #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
The amount that the fluke is "off center" is negligible. Maybe less than 1 mm. No issue in my opinion.

Stainless steel and Zinc (galvanizing) is certainly dissimilar. But, my feeling is the bolt is a tiny component compared to the whole anchor and therefore not likely to "eat" the galvanizing rapidly (I could be wrong). That said, a switch to a Galvanized bolt might be a good thing.

My "no dissimilar metals" comment was directed more toward the Spade anchor and it's massive blob of lead. I should have made that clear.

Steve
Great, thanks!
Old 12-03-2021, 21:22   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
1 = low
5 = high

These ratings are a simple ranking between anchors tested. ]
If "simple ranking" (your words), this would (should) mean "1" is best.

But is that what you mean?

[whereas "rating" can be interpreted either way, "ranking" is always: low number (1) is better/preferable than high number (5)... so still unclear to me what you intend]
Old 13-03-2021, 03:42   #701

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:

[whereas "rating" can be interpreted either way, "ranking" is always: low number (1) is better/preferable than high number (5)... so still unclear to me what you intend]

Here, I’ll help. 5/5 is the best rating. 5 stars. Etc.
1 /5 is the worst. 1 star.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 04:29   #702

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:

It’s entirely clear to me that bigger numbers stand for better performance in his table of testing results. Also, if you somehow missed that, you might have noticed that the anchors are listed in order of their average score with the best performing anchor at the top and the worst performing at the bottom. I hope this helps clear up your confusion.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 04:30   #703
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Is a 1.0 GPA or a 4.0 GPA better in school?
Simple enough.
Old 13-03-2021, 07:57   #704

"Is a 1.0 GPA or a 4.0 GPA better in school?
Simple enough."

Agreed for GPA. But a ranking of 1 in School is better than a ranking of 5....

Yes, I understood because I watched many of the videos. But the term "ranking" should not be used when referring to the ratings ("1" is not the rank"), especially in combination with "high" and "low".

Perhaps NO ONE is confused - - that's good -- but I wonder about someone in the future doing a search on this topic?

No criticism meant. Was only suggesting more clarity.
Old 13-03-2021, 08:12   #705

I think most people are finding it pretty clear.

Tags
anchor