Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2021, 10:21   #721

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Another fantastic test video! Perhaps the rollbar brings the anchor from 42lbs to 44lbs.

I contacted Lewmar about this anchor, and they told me that the stainless version is all 316 with a lead ballast, and the galvanized version is 100% steel ballast. The price of the stainless version is pretty good compared to other stainless anchors like the Spade, Excel, Ultra, and M2. I don't know about the Spade, but I'm pretty sure that the Excel, Ultra, and M2 all have Duplex shanks.

The roll bar doesn't seem well designed. I think it's more of a marketing gimmick, trying to appeal to as big a demographic as possible. I suspect it's an afterthought, since the primary design seems based on the Spade or Ultra ballasted design.

It also seems like that fluke hole is a bad idea. Maybe it works in loose sand or silt, but if weed or sticks or rocks stick in there, it's a huge problem.

As far as that wedge/gusset, it looks like a bad idea as well. Maybe they thought it would open up tight corner angles that mud might pack into. But it removes a lot of surface area at the front of the fluke.

This is obviously just my speculation, and it's become abundantly clear that tiny things can have huge detrimental effects on anchor performance, so it could be something totally different hurting this anchor's performance. Just look at the M2 and that slight welding flaw. Btw, any word from Mantus about that?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 20:22   #722

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Thanks for the info on the Epsilon construction, Maud. The lack of lead in the galvanized version has the potential of degrading performance considerably as the anchor will almost certainly have less tip weight/self righting ability. Just a hunch, but perhaps the "optional" rollbar provides a more obvious benefit for the galvanized version.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 20:45   #723

Yeah, I wonder about that. I'm guessing they wanted to avoid any issues with re-galvanization, like with the Spade. I'm curious if it is dimensionally different. How would they achieve the same weight without having more steel somewhere? I also wonder about how much tip weight matters and in which instances. In the 180 degree test, I think it's probably a big factor, but how much does it play into the veer tests? My instinct is that fluke shape has more to do with the veer testing.
Old 18-04-2021, 02:47   #724
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Our experience shows that a Stainless steel anchor behaves differently than Galvanized carbon steel anchor.
The SS has some advantages in setting but the smooth surface affects the holding.

I do wish that Lewmar will find it important enough to send you a galvanized steel equivalent anchor to be tested.

It would be very interesting to see the results, we all might be surprised.
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 09:43   #725

Old 20-04-2021, 17:18   #726
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Thanks Steve for that heads up on scale performance for the Excel. I was a little bit concerned on the soft mud performance here in Asia.

Noted you had done tests on the Excel #5..
...which video is that as it would be interesting for me to study?

Still in COVID lockdown in Philippines , so my number 13 Excel (139 lbs) is still untested.

Catch 22, I'm using my old ground tackle at shipyard for stern-to at pier so challenging to finish Excel

I have found solution with a cut away and larger diameter/higher roller.

Just waiting on yard to put out a suitable mooring for me rated for Typhoons before I can finish

Test photos of mounting for my arrangement.

I will do the Roller first, then bedding arrangement so dolphin striker chain strong point shifts only 1.5" aft to be above bedded Excel but maintain same angle on chain

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210421-075240_Video%20Player.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	236951Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210421-075122_Video%20Player.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	236952Click image for larger version

Name:	20210410_075715.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	236953Click image for larger version

Name:	20210411_063129.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	236954Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210421-080546_Video%20Player.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	236955Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210421-080520_Video%20Player.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	236956Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210421-080631_Video%20Player.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	236957
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 00:25   #727

Hi Pelagic,

Unfortunately, the Excel #5 tests are spread out over a number of Videos (at some point I will put together a "round up" #5 video).

For the Soft mud test, check out Video #86.

Steve
Old 23-04-2021, 08:11   #728

Hi Steve, that's a really interesting new data set for the Excel design. I've wondered for a while about how performance scales with size/weight for any given design, and I think it's probably impossible to know unless somebody like you ends up testing every size, or at least a range of sizes, probably at least three spread out so that you can get an idea of the shape of the trend line. Unfortunately, this sounds like something that may never happen.

The anchors that stood out in this regard to me were the Excel and M2. For me, I was happy that the Excel's relative performance seemed likely to increase as size went up, given your results, since I intend to use a 110lb Excel. This test, to some degree, shows that the Excel's relative performance at the smaller sizes is still good, and doesn't seem to have any negative implications for larger sizes.

The M2 obviously had worse relative performance at the ~45lb size range, but as you hypothesized, that still could be anomalous. Have you heard anything back from Mantus about that weld flaw idea?
Old 23-04-2021, 17:19   #729
CF Adviser

Yes, it will be interesting to see how my #13 excel performs in the slurry mud bottoms in Asia

As I have a two anchor setup on the bow, I think perhaps the ideal 2nd anchor to have, would be a Fortress, ready to go in soft mud conditions
Old 24-04-2021, 03:58   #730

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

That is exactly the conclusion we came to. We have a #7 galvanized 33kg. Excel as main, with a Fortress FX 37 for mud and storm over sand anchorages.

Also have the 10kg aluminium Excel (which is same physical size as the #7 Excel) as backup and kedge anchor.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 06:14   #731

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I also agree with the plan of something big and modern plus a Fortress. The big, modern anchor will cover 95% of situations, and for the rest, either the Fortress will work well, or the bottom is just something very hard to anchor in and almost nothing practical to carry will do the job.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:50   #732

Old 03-05-2021, 05:47   #733
CF Adviser

Interesting test with the pennant by I have to ask myself, why bother?
The negatives, far outweigh any benefits.

It would seem to me that a braided wire pennant would not have the long term resistance to abrasion , more susceptible to getting the pennant jammed under a cleft, than solid links .
Easier to damage in that stuck scenario

In the towing industry, towing cable does not have the lifespan of anchor chain and that cable is hopefully not being dragged along the bottom as you would do with an anchor pennant.

Larger fishboats with drum cable rodes on the bow, go that direction for cost and weight savings but also because they really dont anchor that much, being generally tied up between openings and seasons .
Old 03-05-2021, 06:53   #734
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
...Larger fishboats with drum cable rodes on the bow, go that direction for cost and weight savings but also because they really dont anchor that much, being generally tied up between openings and seasons .

The head boats (day charters of 6-30 guys) like the reels because they make anchoring at multiple spots for bottom fishing lightening fast, and no extra crew is required. The skipper can move and anchor the boat from the helm, and the mate can stay about the business of baiting hooks, icing catch, and keeping the guests from hooking each other. The weather is fair, so catenary and shock absorption are minor things. It's the right tool for the job.

WWII seaplanes used a reel.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:07   #735

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

FWIW

When we stayed in Petersburg, AK for a winter most of the fishing boats that I saw on the dock had the drum reels with wire rope for the majority of the anchor rode with a small section of chain (@ 25 ft or so) attached directly between the wire rope and the anchor.

Occasionally the chain was very large - like 1" links, so quite a bit of weight on the end of the anchor shank. The anchors themselves were stout and large but not overly so; mostly stockless types.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor