Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2021, 10:12   #1

Boat: Creekmore 45 cutter
Troublesome windlass

Hello! I have a Maxwell 2200 vertical windlass and am having problems. I replaced the motor after it was slowing down, tripping the breaker, and finally quit working. It ran perfect for about 6 anchoring times. Now, it starts really slow, like it’s not going to go, then will gradually build up to regular fast speed! I’ve checked all connections. I haven’t done anything else to change it. Any suggestions? Someone mentioned the solenoid?? I’d appreciate any help as I am cruising up the East Coast to Maine. Thank you.
sailorfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:18   #2

Boat: Voyage 430
Re: Troublesome windlass

Have you checked the voltage at the windlass while the windlass is under load?
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:28   #3

Sounds like a voltage drop maybe. Corroded wire ends , possible internal issues with corrosion. If you can check it, there will always be a huge voltage drop at first, but once the motor is running free (no load) it should stabilize.
Could be corrosion INSIDE a solenoid I suppose on the internal contacts, but... not sure that happens much..?
The other possibility is that it is a gearing issue which was the real problem when you replaced the motor. Binding in there, bad bearing.. corroded shaft??

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:01   #4

Boat: Creekmore 45 cutter

Thank you. I’m afraid it is the gears. When I thought the motor died, someone had mentioned that it may be the gears need servicing. They mentioned a Gear box repair kit by Defender....I’ll probably check into. Thank you.
sailorfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass