Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 15:28   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Snag ate my anchor

So this morning when weighting anchor it became quickly apparent that the anchor chain had tied a knot in, not one, but two old tree logs, each 12 ish feet long and 10" to 12" dia. They came up to the surface, but did not have anything to cut them with. Did I mention I don't have a windless. Though the jib winch did it proud.

Being single handed, I did not want to take a chance getting hurt. So after an hour or so of reviewing the situation and chanting, I let loose 150 feet of anchor chain and said goodby to my tried and true cheap 44# claw.

Plan A is to buy a 20" hand saw and a 150# magnet and return to the spot and try to haul it up and cut the trunks in two. Not sure how safe that is, with an old woman kneeling at the bow or in a kayak. I see a limb smacking me one way or another.

Plan B is punt and go with my backup anchor and rode.

My question is (yes I know it's an anchor thread, what am I thinking ), should I use the 27# danforth or the 34# northhill for primary. Both hold ok but each have issues. I anchor in tidal water with bottom grass, so the northhill would work better there. But in reverse tide and wind, the rode tends to wrap the lazy fluke. Been there done that.

I have zero funds for a new anchor (any new anchor) or even an old anchor, but will keep my eye out for a old Bruce 44#.

Such is how my Thursday goes. Added bonus, Dekat was out of food this am. Luckily that is no longer the case.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Snag ate my anchor

Did you tie a float to it prior to cutting it loose, or is it marked well enough to dive on and recover chain?
Can you find it again if not? Got a friend who is a diver?
I'd get either a bow hand saw or better, rent a smallish chainsaw myself, but by hand a bow saw cuts logs faster than anything else.
I wouldn't give up, if You can get the chain back on the boat, then you could recover it, I believe.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:39   #3
cruiser

You should have tried my "time out" one hour coffee break.

Do you have scuba gear? Do any of your friends dive?

Fstbttms
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thinking out loud, if you can get it back like it was, maybe get a chain hook on the chain past the logs with nylon rode , maybe your snubber? then you slack the bitter end of the chain and can unwrap the logs without cutting them?

Old 30-06-2016, 15:39   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Not that it helps you now, but we had a big tree captured once. Like you no windlass, used the jib winch. Once the tangle on the surface tied another line around the log so we could take the load off of the anchor line and untangle it.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:47   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Did you tie a float to it prior to cutting it loose, or is it marked well enough to dive on and recover chain?
Can you find it again if not? Got a friend who is a diver?
I'd get either a bow hand saw or better, rent a smallish chainsaw myself, but by hand a bow saw cuts logs faster than anything else.
I wouldn't give up, if You can get the chain back on the boat, then you could recover it, I believe.
I did not tie a float, but I know within a few feet of where it lays. so should be able to grab the chain with a magnet. Yes on a bow saw. I now know that I need a big hand saw / bow saw on the boat, for those special occasions.

I should note there was another rope rode around the trees, so I was not the first to donate an anchor there. After seeing how pricey even cheap anchors are nowadays (I paid $65 for the claw ages ago), recovery is sort of high on my list.

Not sure there are divers around here. I should check though. Money or rather the extreme lack of it is a major issue with me. I should note that half the anchor chain was rusty, and I got it used, so it's not like I'm leaving big $$$ on the bottom. I would cry if it was a mason or other $400+ anchor.
Old 30-06-2016, 15:52   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Not that it helps you now, but we had a big tree captured once. Like you no windlass, used the jib winch. Once the tangle on the surface tied another line around the log so we could take the load off of the anchor line and untangle it.
I did that for part of the tangle, but there was no way to grab the other side of the chain on the second or third attempt, (too close to the anchor I think). I also moved the boat about a bit to see if I could free it up. Bit had a figure 8 or two around both trees. One tree and I might have been OK.

I shound note that the first day I was there (I was there 3 days) I saw tree limbs sticking up out of the water at low tide 15 feet from the boat. I saw that I thought that weighing anchor might get interesting. Not the first time hauling a tree up. But it beat me up.

Compounding the issue is Dekat was bitching about the lack of cat food he likes on the boat. Luckily that part has been resolved and dekat is sleeping off a protein hangover in the head sink.
Old 30-06-2016, 15:57   #8

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Many snags will be eaten here in Australia this weekend,anchors not so much.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:58   #9
cruiser

I have an extra 75 pound CQR that you can have if you pay for shipping.

I'm in Italy.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 16:00   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sailorchic34,

I feel your pain: a few months back we had to cut away 70 ft chain and new 8 plait line and anchor when it fouled on a big snag on the Gordon River. A friend said, "Well, Ann, that's what happens when you get off the beaten path."

Anyhow, I vote for using the Danforth, because Jim and I successfully used a 20# HT Danforth with his Yankee 30 in the Bay Area. One is always concerned about the odd clam shell, or it not being okay when the tide shifts, but it never dragged, even when anchored at China Camp.

I also hope you buoyed the other gear before casting it off. Or, if you know where it is, you can try dragging for it. There are many options if you can retrieve the rode, as it will lead you to the rest. As Kenomac suggested, there is a good chance of supporting the log part with another line, while you unwrap it. Where it is, if it's not too murky, you can try having a look for it, but if it's murky, don't risk it, entangling oneself is not worth an anchor. [Where we were the water was too cold, too dark, zero viz, for a 78 yr. old to even consider diving.]

I am sorry you had to jettison the gear, and I hope you can either get it back, or find a satisfactory used Bruce, like you said.

Ann
Old 30-06-2016, 16:06   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm with Ann on the dragging part, I don't know what a 150 lb magnet even is, much less what one costs or where to get one, but a few pieces of bent rebar and you have a drag that will catch chain.

Old 30-06-2016, 16:36   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Ann for the info. I have not used the danforth before, so your experience gives me comfort. I have used the northhill and experienced rode wrap around the lazy fluke. Not a good thing. Though all the fishing fleet here use them.

The water was murky but only 14 feet deep. no chance to eyeball. The 150# pull magnet is available at the big box hardware stores for $16 ish. It and the saw $10 are just with in my monetary means. The adventures I have with little means. Added bonus the hardware store is right next to tomorrows grocery store. So a bit of synergy there.

I could also use a reef hook for a drag, but the magnet might find the chain easier. I laid out 100 feet in a line.
Old 30-06-2016, 16:40   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Bummer, SC! As Ann said above, back in Tasmania we recently lost our 60 lb Manson Supreme, 70 feet of chain and (through some rather ill considered decisions on my part) 75 feet out of a brand new hank of 14 mm octoplait. Dummmbbb! So I can surely sympathize.

When you relocate the chain, either with your magnet or with dragging a grapnel, get the mess up to the surface once more, and then consider doing your lumberjacking from your dinghy rather than from the foredeck. You will be able to see how things are wrapped up better from there, and have a better position for sawing. may have to tie off the dink to either the snag (being careful not to be tied to the part that you are sawing off!) or to your boat. Sometimes some careful observation from a better place will aid your process of disentanglement.

Viz: a couple of weeks ago, with our new Manson, we got snagged here in the Pittwater area. Straining the windlass a bit, I raised what turned out to be a 16 foot piling, some brass pipe and a mess of double braid line to the surface... pic attached. From the dinghy I could see that the rope was what held the whole mess together, and with one underwater swipe of the trusty bosun's knife I was free! I hope that you are as lucky...

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1608.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	127214  
Old 30-06-2016, 16:51   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I should note that I only have a kayak and no dinghy and it's not that stable either. My main concerns is not get injured and not get to boat into difficulty. My only bright spot is my anchor was deeply discounted when I purchased it.

I had been pondering going back to mixed rode, as without a windless the all chain was beating up my back a bit. My 8 plate rode will be much easier to deal with.

A real dinghy, windlass and other items are on my wish list for when I retire in 1-1/2 years and live on the largeness that will be Social Security. I'm probably one of the few that look at SS as a large amount of money. Life is far more interesting when funds are few and far between.

Still, I enjoy being a vagabond.
Old 30-06-2016, 16:54   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Take heart -- you'll get that ground tackle back. Next time, be sure to tie a fender and some light line to the end of the chain, but never mind.

I don't have experience with those magnets and don't know whether they will work, and I reckon I would drag for that chain with something. In 14' of water, if you do really know where it is, you should be able to get it. You might get the tree instead of the chain, but that's ok too I guess. Something like this could be useful:

Anchor saver - Sailing accessories - KONG Italy

I have one of these, but have never used it (knock on wood).

And if you already had the snag up to the surface, and if it's made of wood, then you should be able to cut it free.

I'm not sure about cutting from the dinghy -- how will your boat stay in place once you've cut the snag loose? I might trying lifting up with a halyard and cutting from the deck.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor