Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2015, 08:34   #16

Re: Rookie Anchoring: How to tie off nylon rode?

I had a Beneteau so I pulled the nylon rode out of the gypsy but kept it lying around the winch portion to keep it aligned with the roller and then cleated it. This puts pressure on the windlass mount (which it should handle easily) but not the mechanism. I believe that all Jeanneaus use this type of vertical windlass, at least over the last 15 years.
lionspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:35   #17

Boat: Nordic sailboat 44’

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailray View Post
switch to all chain with a snubber. Use present rode for 2nd anchor. You will sleep much better. Chain provides a much better catanary.
Agree with sailray, we have all chain and use our nylon with the backup anchor.
Have had issues with chaffing and nylon line tied off poorly. Chain off a roller is best option.
bailey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:44   #18

Boat: Gozzard 36

Just one other comment --if you only have 50 ft of chain rode and assuming that you should use at least a 5 to 1 rode to depth ratio and also assuming freeboard o f say 2 ft then that would mean you could only use an all chain rode in water depths of 8 feet or less----hope that there are no tides where you are going or that you have very little draft��.

Also maybe I wasn't clear but the risk if you keep your rope rode running over your bow roller is that it will badly chafe by rubbing on the metal cheeks of the bow roller as the boat sails at anchor --which it WILL do in strong winds ...and that is the one time that you don't want to find that your anchor rode has parted.
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 09:18   #19

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigidal View Post
Hi All... Rookie question here that I'd like advice on... I have a 37ft Jeanneau with 50' chain and 100' nylon rode. My question is, when anchoring what is the best way to take the tension off of the windlass? There are two bow cleats to port and strbd... Should I tie off the rode to them? Is there a better solution when not using all chain? Thanks for any help.
Good question, let me add to it: How do you tie off nylon rode on a catamaran to a bridle set up to grab chain? That has been stumping me.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 11:57   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Hi All... Rookie question here that I'd like advice on... I have a 37ft Jeanneau with 50' chain and 100' nylon rode. My question is, when anchoring what is the best way to take the tension off of the windlass? There are two bow cleats to port and strbd... Should I tie off the rode to them? Is there a better solution when not using all chain? Thanks for any help.
You have 2 bow cleats & should use both.
Make up a single bridle with a 10" spliced eye in one end & a thimble spliced in other end. Put 10" loop over one cleat & take thimble end around under & outside of all bow gear to "other" cleat area.
Push a double loop of anchor rode thru the thimble & insert a wooden peg thru the double loop (see pics).
Let rode out til thimble & peg are directly ahead of bow & then cleat your rode to the "other" cleat.
Get a couple of 2 ft lengths of free fire hose,that is being discarded by local F Dept. Slide out inner rubberized core & discard it. Outer casing makes great chafing protection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorRopeConn1.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	102611

Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorRopeConn3.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	102612
Old 23-05-2015, 12:02   #21

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Make up a single bridle with a 10" spliced eye in one end & a thimble spliced in other end. Put 10" loop over one cleat & take thimble end around under & outside of all bow gear to "other" cleat area.
Push a double loop of anchor rode thru the thimble & insert a wooden peg thru the double loop (see pics).
Let rode out til thimble & peg are directly ahead of bow & then cleat your rode to the "other" cleat.
Get a couple of 2 ft lengths of free fire hose,that is being discarded by local F Dept. Slide out inner rubberized core & discard it. Outer casing makes great chafing protection.

Attachment 102611

Attachment 102612
In my previous post,the pics show the thimble laced in the center of a double bridle.That may be OK also,but I don't see the need on a monohull & personally,I'm not so confidant in lacing vs. spliced in thimble.
Old 25-05-2015, 04:50   #22

always Always ALWAYS use chafing gear if you're not ust stopped for lunch. I have a few lengths of the same hose used for the outlet of th head,
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 05:08   #23

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailray View Post
switch to all chain with a snubber. Use present rode for 2nd anchor. You will sleep much better. Chain provides a much better catanary.
Fastcruiser is correct about his rolling hitch snubber line. But Sailray is on the money. All chain may seem like an expense, but it sure beats waking up on the rocks. I have seen more yachts wrecked through poor or failed anchoring than any other cause, and the majority of these have been through chafed anchor rodes.

It is NOT ONLY or even primarily the chafe at the bows you need to worry about or consider. Rather 99% of the time a boat is lost with a line rode, it is due to chafe on ROCKS or reef structures on the ground. You are risking your boat. Use this set up as a kedge. Switch to all chain. At least 150 feet. You can back it with another 50 or so of rode if you like, BUT unless you can guarantee that only the chain is in contact with the bottom (hint: you can't, unless you only ever anchor in 5 meters, around 16 feet of water) then you are risking your boat at all times. Bad enough when you are aboard… a near certainty of losing her eventually if you cruise and leave it on the hook…
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 05:10   #24

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

Attachment 102611

Attachment 102612
Nice solution! However, I would still counsel no rode on the bottom unless as a kedge.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 12:16   #25

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
Catenary: curve of suspends line between two points. I had to look it up.
I thought a Catenary was where felines went to learn about God.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 12:48   #26

Quote:
Great info... The chafe was my concern about routing it through the bow roller/sprit as the angle from the cleat is acute. Good suggestion on the webbing to keep it in the channel, will look at that option as well at the snubber/stopper when using only chain.
We have a centerline cleat that comes in very handy. In fact, on our Mark I boats (1986 to 1994) that was the ONLY bow cleat the factory installed!!!

Many of us added port & starboard cleats, too. Some bozos removed their centerline cleats, but not me!

Depending on your foredeck layout, you might want to consider adding one to get a good straight fairlead from the roller.

Some folks have added or come with Sampson posts, too, same concept.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 14:13   #27

Boat: HR 37

Anyone use a single line bridle with a centered Klemheist knot on the rode and then bring the two bitter ends of the line to the port and starboard cleats?

This simple bridle was recommended to me and looking for comment.
Tigidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:53   #28

My experience after 9 months in the Caribbean (about 250 nights at anchor)

1. Your most common amount of rode will be 100'
2. Use a separate length of line as a snubber all the time, chain or rope. If it wears you can replace it. You can't easily replace your rope rode.
3. Attach your snubber to the chain using a soft shackle. The various hook devices can fall off.
4. Attach you snubber to your rope rode by taking a 3' length of dyneema, tie it in a loop, and wrap the loop three times around the rope rode. It will hold fast, give you a loop for the snubber and soft shackle, and be easy to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
anchor, anchoring, rode