Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 05:39   #1

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Rust Stains on Nylon Rode

I have a 300' length of 3/4 nylon 3 strand rode that has been living at the bottom of the anchor locker for over ten years, and has picked up a severe case of rust staining from the chain that was laying on top of it.(Secondary anchor rode, almost never used).
I inspected it for it's entire length, and find it to be in seemingly good condition, although a bit stiff. I have it soaking in a tub of fresh water with some "Tide" detergent, and I hve the water circulating through the rode. Some of the rust has been washed out of the rode, evidenced by the brown water that is now in the tub. The rode has softened considerably, but still has a lot of staining on it.
Anybody have suggestions of how to get it reasonably clean??
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:27   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Once you've soaked/washed the rode, discard and refill the tub with fresh water and add a little muriatic acid (from a pool supply store). Ideally a 5% mix but less will work, it will just take a little longer. For individual heavy stains, obtain a little "Wink" Rust Stain Remover from Lowes or Home Depot (in the US)--or mix a 15% pool acid/water solution--and soak the stains, then rinse with fresh water.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:29   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Once you have soaked the rode in acid, discard the rode and start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Once you've soaked/washed the rode, discard and refill the tub with fresh water and add a little muriatic acid (from a pool supply store). Ideally a 5% mix but less will work, it will just take a little longer. For individual heavy stains, obtain a little "Wink" Rust Stain Remover from Lowes or Home Depot (in the US)--or mix a 15% pool acid/water solution--and soak the stains, then rinse with fresh water.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
Actually, it takes stronger acid to do nylon real harm, but you ARE courting more trouble than you are solving.

Who CARES if the rode is stained? That is like washing the bottoms of your shoes before going for a walk in public. Relax!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:20   #4

Try 'Bar Keepers Friend". Apply to the rusted areas with a sponge or soft brush. Let it sit for 15 min and do it again, if necessary. The active ingredient is oxalic acid, so keep it away from painted surfaces.

This stuff also works great on rust and does a decent job cleaning teak. Its a lot easier on the enviornment, your hands and your vessel than the 2-part cleaners. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 14:21   #5

Boat: Farrier f27
I secon the who cares about the rust stain. The stiffness is no big deal either as it softens when it's back in the water.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 17:16   #6

The rust stains were transfering to the decks.......I didn't want to have to remove rust stains from the deck when I was finished using the rode. I like to keep my boat looking somewhat good. Muriatic acid is sold in plastic bottles isn't it?? If it does no harm to the plastic bottle that it is sold in, I would suspect that it would not harm the more dense molecular structure of nylon.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-06-2009, 19:55   #7

OK, I understand about the decks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
The rust stains were transferring to the decks.......I didn't want to have to remove rust stains from the deck when I was finished using the rode. I like to keep my boat looking somewhat good. Muriatic acid is sold in plastic bottles isn't it?? If it does no harm to the plastic bottle that it is sold in, I would suspect that it would not harm the more dense molecular structure of nylon.
No, the plastic in the bottles is VERY different from nylon.

I actually put some nylon twine in a phosphoric acid rust remover a few hours ago. I will pull test that and a control (in water) in the AM and post the result here. I would rather give facts than opinions. I could not find anything concrete on the web about diluted phosphoric acid and nylon.

http://www.huntingdonfusion.com/down...resistance.pdf

However, you can see that strong acids are very bad.

I would avoid ANY mineral acid (muriatic, hydrochloric-same, sulfuric) as the pH is too hard to control and these ARE proven to degrade nylon. Phosphoric and oxalic acids are generally used to remove rust stains because they safer.
Old 06-06-2009, 20:11   #8

Nylon vs. Phosphoric acid.

The parachute manual: a technical ... - Google Book Search

This sounds a bit scary, but it is not really the same thing.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:56   #9

Simple test, after 18 hour soak in phosphoric acid cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
No, the plastic in the bottles is VERY different from nylon.

I actually put some nylon twine in a phosphoric acid rust remover a few hours ago. I will pull test that and a control (in water) in the AM and post the result here. I would rather give facts than opinions. I could not find anything concrete on the web about diluted phosphoric acid and nylon.

http://www.huntingdonfusion.com/down...resistance.pdf

However, you can see that strong acids are very bad.

I would avoid ANY mineral acid (muriatic, hydrochloric-same, sulfuric) as the pH is too hard to control and these ARE proven to degrade nylon. Phosphoric and oxalic acids are generally used to remove rust stains because they safer.

The test I promised, nylon twine such as used in anchor rope.

Soaked in water - 65#, broke at knot in non-soak end.

Soaked in cleaner - 45#, broke in center, away from knot.

Just one test. Take it for what you will.

FYI, Sulfuric acid can be kept in a LDPE or HDPE bottle (like a battery case) but will make a hole in nylon or polyester cloth. I've done both in the lab.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
a far better approach than an acid wash

take the rode home, dump it in your washing machine with whatever detergent you normally use, and then let it dry out on the lawn. the stains won't come out 100%, but you'll at least have a rode that won't foul your deck. (until, of course, you once again store it below that rusty chain.)
Old 07-06-2009, 09:09   #11

How about a strip of vinyl non-skid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
The rust stains were transfering to the decks.......I didn't want to have to remove rust stains from the deck when I was finished using the rode. I like to keep my boat looking somewhat good. Muriatic acid is sold in plastic bottles isn't it?? If it does no harm to the plastic bottle that it is sold in, I would suspect that it would not harm the more dense molecular structure of nylon.

Easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Port bow PDQ.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	8443  
Old 07-06-2009, 17:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

I'd be surprised if all the stain comes out without using chemicals that just aren't nice or at least in a concentration that may damage the rope.

Wash well, wash well again (staying away from hot water) and use it. The rope will still have some stains but they won't be left on the deck.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 17:40   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
take the rode home, dump it in your washing machine with whatever detergent you normally use, and then let it dry out on the lawn.
If t won't come out in the washing machine they won't come out on the deck. I little trip through the washer won't hurt much. Stains sometimes are really stains that don't come out (I could live with that). If you get that close then relax. I would like to wash 200 ft of chain but I don't think it will go in the washing machine. It's small scrub brush and an afternoon.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:20   #14

To all that replied/commented on my question regarding rust stains in a nylon rode.........I found (with a little help from a friend) that a commercial product called "Iron Out". It works as indicated on the bottle. I soaked it overnight versus the 15 mins that they suggested, and then ran it through a commercial washing machine with some more Iron Out and fabric softener. It came out almost pristine and soft as a pelicans neck feathers. I fully endorse this product as a satisfied customer!!!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-06-2009, 11:26   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Just curious what the active ingredients in the product are and what effect they might have on the nylon itself. Pretty and soft is less important that strong.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode