Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 17:27   #1

Boat: between boats
Rocna Vs Spade

I was planning on outfitting my new boat (42 foot cat) with a Rocna but turns out its already fitted with a 20kg Spade so im wondering if there is much real difference between the 2 or are all the new gen anchors much of a muchness?

Has anyone used both at all?

On the pull tests ive seen the Rocna seemed to have the edge over the rest which was why i was going that way.

The 20kg spade with 10mm seems a little light on for me - i like to sleep soundly- so an upgrade is likely on the way but ill give it a few nights first.

thanks
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 17:43   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Rocna Vs Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I was planning on outfitting my new boat (42 foot cat) with a Rocna but turns out its already fitted with a 20kg Spade so im wondering if there is much real difference between the 2 or are all the new gen anchors much of a muchness?

Has anyone used both at all?

On the pull tests ive seen the Rocna seemed to have the edge over the rest which was why i was going that way.

The 20kg spade with 10mm seems a little light on for me - i like to sleep soundly- so an upgrade is likely on the way but ill give it a few nights first.

thanks
Agreed is lighte for weight of vessel but possibly meets size, personally I would go for 30kg but for cruising I want oversize. for a 46ft cat i am looking towards 40kg.

You could also look at Manson & Sarca which will be similar performance to Spade and Rocna and check prices. Might be some good prices at coming boat shows and Spade will get you by unless going offshore and makes a great backup.

Nice vessel
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 17:47   #3

Thanks downunder. ill post my thoughts on her once ive had a chance to put her through her paces in april
Old 06-03-2012, 17:55   #4

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Thanks downunder. ill post my thoughts on her once ive had a chance to put her through her paces in april
Will be good to hear/see (pics)
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:02   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have the aluminum version of the 20kg Spade and a steel 25kg Rocna. The Spade will be just fine as an all-purpose primary anchor for your boat - particularly if it is the steel version. It is a very good anchor. As is the Rocna.

We have cruising friends with your boat model that use a 20kg Delta and have had no problems with it. The Spade will outperform the Delta.

You can, of course, go larger and even ridiculous in size, but this type of thinking is really from the old-school. Not only do the newer generation anchors outperform the older standards, their manufacturer's sizing guidelines are much more in-line with real world cruising experience.

I would be completely comfortable with a 20kg Spade or Rocna on 8mm G43 chain. So comfortable in fact, that that is what we use on a boat similar in size and weight as yours.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:05   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have the aluminum version of the 20kg Spade and a steel 25kg Rocna. The Spade will be just fine as an all-purpose primary anchor for your boat - particularly if it is the steel version. It is a very good anchor. As is the Rocna.

We have cruising friends with your boat model that use a 20kg Delta and have had no problems with it. The Spade will outperform the Delta.

You can, of course, go larger and even ridiculous in size, but this type of thinking is really from the old-school. Not only do the newer generation anchors outperform the older standards, their manufacturer's sizing guidelines are much more in-line with real world cruising experience.

I would be completely comfortable with a 20kg Spade or Rocna on 8mm G43 chain. So comfortable in fact, that that is what we use on a boat similar in size and weight as yours.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41   #7

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

I got sick and tired of our CQR just lying on its side and dragging across the bottom. So, after doing quite a bit of research I replaced it with an Australian made Super Sarca on a 36 foot flybridge gamefishing vessel that I ran from the Gold Coast to Cairns Queensland over a leisurely 6 month return voyage. I couldn't be happier with the performance of the Super Sarca. It sets first time every time! Their range also includes the Sarca Excel model which Factor has installed on his Seawind 1000XL..

Rex who is the designer and owner of Sarca Anchors is very helpfull and would only be too pleased to answer any questions that you may have. The website is Anchor Right Australia

In case you are wondering, no, I have no affiliation with the company at all but am so pleased with the performance of their anchor I am happy to spread the word.

They have also recently shipped their first order of anchors to Seacor Environmental Friendly Products www.seacor-env.com in the U.S.A.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The Rocna and Spade have very similar performance. The Rocna is slightly better, particarly in weed or very soft mud. The spade design is good on very short scopes say 2:1.
IMHO 20 kg is too small for a crusing cat of 40 plus feet in either design. Some friends have recently replaced their 20 steel spade for a larger Rocna because of inadequate holding, supporting my concerns, they have a Lagoon (41feet from memory).
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49   #9

Boat: CS 36t

The spade is a very good anchor. In some bottoms it is slightly better than a Rocna (where it can really bury several feet down) and others the Rocna is slightly better (weeds, soft mud).

The question is whether the size is appropriate and that comes down to how you will use it. Since you mention liking to sleep soundly, I would assume that you plan to spend a lot of nights on the hook? In this case, I would feel a lot better with one or two sizes up. If you are a fair weather sailor only and you trust the forecasts, then the current size is probably adequate. Only you can decide how much anchor you need.

10mm chain is a perfectly acceptable diameter. If you go to a bigger anchor, you should make sure that it is G40 or stronger.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

My Dad always told me if you have to repaint the waterline your anchor might be a little big !!LOL Thats a little bit kidding but not to far off though !! Just my 2 cents
Old 07-03-2012, 14:22   #11

Thanks for the great replies guys, particularly Colmj - thats exactly the side by side comparison I was after.

The UK spade website recommends the 20kg for coastal cruising for my size boat but upgrades to the 30kg for extended cruising which sounds about right so ill just stick with that for the commissioning cruise and see how things go. (42 feet was just on the edge of length for 20kg vs 30kg recommended for extended cruising).

I like the fact i can dismantle the spade so I will have an easily stored kedge anchor as well i suppose if i do go heavier.

On my last boat (32 foot catalina) i had a 25kg cqr which was probably a bit of overkill and did sink the bow somewhat but not such a concern on a mono vs cat. ill be looking for the best holding for weight ultimately if the 20kg spade doesnt prove to be enough.

I had the original sarca on my last fishing boat great all round anchor I agree but can be troublesome on some bowrollers (in the original form anyway). So good i had trouble retrieving it!

thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 00:42   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
I had the original sarca on my last fishing boat great all round anchor I agree but can be troublesome on some bowrollers (in the original form anyway). So good i had trouble retrieving it!

thanks
Which is why I went for the excel, much easier on the bow roller
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have used Spade, Rocna, Delta and CQR at various times in about 15 years of cruising.

The Rocna and Delta were on my present 54' boat.

The Spade and CQR were on my previous 37' boat.

My subjective non-scientific non-warranted opinion based on experience with different boats and different cruising grounds, thus not all that well comparable, is that the Spade is much easier to set than the Rocna. The Spade -- used by me for nearly 10 years -- set very, very aggressively; I was afraid to damage the bow roller, in fact. I never once dragged it, although I anchored in some pretty serious storms.

I used the Rocna for about two years on my bigger boat. I was happy with the performance -- again, never dragged an inch even in storm conditions. But it was often hard to set, particularly in soft mud. Sometimes it would plow for a long, long ways before it would finally dig in.

It is possible that some or most or all of the difference in setting behavior of the two anchors comes from different bottom conditions; I don't know. But I liked the Spade so much that when I returned my Rocna last fall, I ordered a Spade to replace it. I'll pick it up this weekend

The Spade is lead ballasted, and has a sharper fluke. So I'm guessing that it is not just bottom conditions, but that it actually sets better than the Rocna. We shall see.

Both are far better than the Delta. The Delta holds ok, but doesn't set at all in some difficult bottom conditions. This is a more scientific comparison, as I was anchoring the same boat in the same spots where I later used the Rocna. The Rocna always set in those places.

I suffered for years with the awful CQR and won't repeat stories I posted about here. To this day I don't sleep soundly at anchor because of near disasters caused by dragging CQR's.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:55   #14

I have a new oversized Rocna and a Shark (not sure what a spade is but seems similar with lead ballast).
The Shark lands point first every time and sets well.
Haven't used the Rocna yet.
Have used CQR and Fortress - not as good...

I reckon the 20kg is ok - but can you have 2 - say add a 40kg rocna?
Would be better for offshore/extended cruising, and you could use it for Bahamian mooring, spare for when you lose one, and storm conditions...
cheers
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:34   #15

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
When cruising along the "coconut route", you are right.
My experience with sailing at high latitudes is a little different. After trying several anchors for extended periods of time, we went back to my good old Bruce, double the weight of what the guidelines advice us to have aboard, including an over sized chain. When experiencing winds in excess of 60 knots while at anchor, the only thing that matters is weight, the more the better. According to most cruisers, the Bruce is not worth buying, but it is my preferred connection to dry land.
Erik de Jong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna