Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 18:30   #31

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Rocna roll bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
If you don't like my thoughts, mind your own business Your opinion means nothing.
...aaah, what polite language, what mature outlook -after asking people in a forum for their opinion...

confirmational bias at it's best
Old 30-08-2019, 18:35   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Without a rollbar, I'd compare the odds with a Danforth of Fortress Anchor. Quite good. But not good enough if there is a strong shift or you are sloppy with deployment.

As I said, I've had roll bar type anchors land on their backs, simply because I was sloppy (on purpose but not unrealistically so--that's why they call it testing). If you power set you'll notice. If it is result of a reversal... not so much.

I didn't read it in a book or on line. I'm not blaming anyone, because they supply roll bars to prevent this.
Old 30-08-2019, 18:50   #33

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Without a rollbar, I'd compare the odds with a Danforth of Fortress Anchor. Quite good. But not good enough if there is a strong shift or you are sloppy with deployment.

As I said, I've had roll bar type anchors land on their backs, simply because I was sloppy (on purpose but not unrealistically so--that's why they call it testing). If you power set you'll notice. If it is result of a reversal... not so much.

I didn't read it in a book or on line. I'm not blaming anyone, because they supply roll bars to prevent this.

How nice to hear reasoned thought
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 18:56   #34

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Ecos,
just a thought, have you contacted Rocna direct and speak with the designers and get their opinion. I have spoken to several representatives at boat shows and found them quite open about their design. Have you also considered the insurance perspective. Are you covered if you boat drags then damaged and you have made a modification that was not engineered or supported by the manufacturer. Knowing insurance company they will look at anything for an out.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Rocna 44.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 19:39   #35

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

In all of my years of sailing I have:

- never had my main sail go up without snagging the lazy jacks 100% of the time
- never had my trusty Yanmar start first touch 100% of the time
- never had someone answer me on my VHF on the first call 100% of the time
- never had my headsail furler roll out all the way 100% of the time.
- never had my oven burners light up on the 1st click 100% of the time
- never had a dozen other things not work first try 100% of the time

Why on earth would I expect my anchor, with varying depth, current, bottom composition, wind direction, reversing speed to set first time 100% of the time?

I fitted a 33kg Rocna to a friend’s boat a few weeks ago. I told him that he should expect good holding but he shouldn’t expect his boat to win any beauty contests any time soon. Man that thing is UGLY. Makes an elegant yacht look like an old workboat.

I did find it interesting, watching the Mantus video, irrespective of how the anchor was tossed into the water, how many times it landed with its shank pointing away from the chain. It must be a brilliant anchor to land facing the wrong way 60% of the time and still allegedly set 1st time every time.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 19:43   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I don't think so. I have been using this anchor since 2007. I have the creds to talk about it's warts. I've not run across a 12 year, real world test yet, only my own.
I don't need any psychobabble on how I should think about my anchor.

But then that wasn't what was said at all. No one has disputed your right to have an opinion. The point was, you asked others their opinion about roll bars, received some excellent replies with very detailed explanations which you promptly repudiated without any evidence or argument to the contrary.

Hence the comment about why you asked the question to begin with since clearly you had already made up your mind.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 20:05   #37

[QUOTE=skipmac;Hence the comment about why you asked the question to begin with since clearly you had already made up your mind.[/QUOTE]

Are you crazy? I have not made up my mind. I only wanted reasonable ideas. Not some bs about how I should listen to the masses.
Old 30-08-2019, 20:18   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Are you crazy? I have not made up my mind. I only wanted reasonable ideas. Not some bs about how I should listen to the masses.

Gee maybe I'm reading a different thread since I haven't seen any BS suggesting anyone listen to any masses.

However if you truly want to learn something I suggest you look at the forum history of some of the members that replied to your question. You might discover that there is some serious research, testing and experience behind at least one of them and maybe want to take another look at the answers on this thread.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 20:27   #39

Quote:

So all of a sudden you'all don't remember this? I trust this guy most of the time.
Old 30-08-2019, 23:37   #40

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
If you don't like my thoughts, mind your own business Your opinion means nothing.
Now you just being a knob. Obviously the opinions matter or you wouldn't have joined the group or posted. Just because most if not all of those here think your idea is harebrained doesn't mean you have to lash out. Jim is one of the most experienced guys on here btw. You're a fool if you don't listen to what he has to say.

Edit: I do wish Ken were back, he'd give you an opinion you wouldn't forget
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 00:43   #41

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Has anyone removed the roll bar? I have never seen it do any good and have seen it do bad several times. I am about to get a re-galvanize job.
Quote "You have never seen it do any good "
Sorry but I cannot get my head around this statement. So you are implying that the designers of anchors with roll bars that have spent countless hours in the design phase then many hours of testing before releasing on the market have know idea of what they were doing.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 02:22   #42

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...aaahh nothing makes for a good nights sleep like a little tinkering with one's anchors...!
(after ***** around with your anchordesign just make 150% sure to never ever anchor upwind of us!)
My thoughts exactly!!
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 02:24   #43

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

Edit: I do wish Ken were back, he'd give you an opinion you wouldn't forget
Thanks. I'll pass

Matt
Old 31-08-2019, 05:35   #44

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
I've tested a lot of anchors. If you are careless setting (for example, still moving forward at even a tiny fraction of a knot) it is absolutely possible to flip a Rocna/Mantu/Manson over backwards while setting. I've had it happen with Mantus. I've had Rocna anchors roll over backwards and stay stable on their backs in very soft mud (rare, but happens).

Once I neglected to powerset (lunch stop). I noticed it while swimming. On it's back (roll bar removed--long story).

Anchor enough times and it WILL get on it's back. Believe it or don't.

Yup. My prior Rocna failed to set more often than I liked on Chesapeake which I think must have been landing on its back and smaller rollbar not enough in soft mud to orient. Now with mantus I don’t have same issue. I think as long as I am backing down the anchor always lands right side up.
But... I’ll never forget when my engine died in a raging inlet and I had to crash drop my mantus to avoid being swept upstream into a closed bridge. Who knows how it landed but thank goodness it dug in instantly. Surely in OP’s vast 12 years there must have been an uncontrolled anchoring situation or sudden 180 deg windshift in a squall?
Remove the rollbar is a risk for precisely the rare situation when you can’t afford to have your anchor fail to set/reset.

Ecos can you attach a picture of your boat in case you remove the rollbar so all know not to anchor downwind of you? [emoji3]
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 06:57   #45

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
WTF, who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna