Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 20:53   #31

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Rhode Island and MA Anchoring

And for water it’s fuel up and fill water tanks. That’s the norm.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:43   #32

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I was talking about the Gloucester harbormaster yesterday. And saying nice things. I heard him bailing someone out of trouble on the radio.
Just for fun email info@willardandsons.com and ask about chain.
Laurie may have some on hand. He’s in Marblehead. One of the local mooring companies.
Be clear about what size and temper of chain you need.
He usually gets a big shipment in the spring so I have no idea what he has on hand.
Also check with the Forepeak in Marblehead. Another crapshoot but you never know.

If you go to Gloucester ( which I highly recommend ) remember it is a working fishing port. Not particularly quiet at night. But well worth the visit. They have city moorings and designated anchorage areas as well. All with swing room. Well protected from the sometimes nasty northeast.
only "drawback" is that it's quite a hike across that busy channel from the town harbor moorings to the municipal dock. If you're going to be in your dinghy after dark, be sure to have proper navigation lights! Life comes at you fast....
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:03   #33

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

For all of us from elsewhere than New England, Gloucester is pronounced Glousta. Good to know about anchorage there....Thanks
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 15:45   #34

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
For all of us from elsewhere than New England, Gloucester is pronounced Glousta.
Actually, it's more like Gloss-ta.

Don't want anyone saying G-louse-ta.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:01   #35

Boat: 1999 Catalina 36 MKII

I skipped Gloucester on the way up around the cape but I'll stop by on my way back. That storm in MA was interesting. I ended up borrowing a PYC mooring ball in Isles of Shoals. Getting my 225' of G4 5/16" chain in Portsmouth in about 2 days.

It's been an interesting summer! Not a big fan of the lobster pots in Maine.
crafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:04   #36

Quote:
And for water it’s fuel up and fill water tanks. That’s the norm.
Thanks. I'm slow, or at least slow in figuring out the basics I guess.

Incidentally I had a great time exploring Boston Harbor and the islands. Cape Anne was a pretty nice area too, but seemed fairly busy.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:45   #37

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Actually, it's more like Gloss-ta.

Don't want anyone saying G-louse-ta.
My brother got a beach permit from the city of Gloucester.

They put their return address as "Glostah." I'm gonna go with that.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 11-08-2021, 10:01   #38

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
only "drawback" is that it's quite a hike across that busy channel from the town harbor moorings to the municipal dock. If you're going to be in your dinghy after dark, be sure to have proper navigation lights! Life comes at you fast....
rental moorings in Gloucester include launch service and showers at the visitors center.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 13:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
rental moorings in Gloucester include launch service and showers at the visitors center.
That opinion was as of Sept. 2020, when a lot was closed or limited.

After a few visits this summer, I have updated my opinion of the Gloucester Harbormaster experience. The launch service is great and takes you everywhere; the facilities are spotless; the staff are friendly and helpful; the free public landing offers up to 4 hours docking on a first-come, first-serve basis, and is extremely convenient.

Easily my favorite stop in terms of service and value for the money ($50.)
Old 07-10-2021, 18:06   #40

Thank you DMF Sailing and everyone else posting amazing information here!

I made my way back from "down east Maine" to East Greenwich RI by way of Gloucester Harbor (which was fantastic, thank you) and a few other stops. I did one overnight sail down the Gulf of Maine. Good times, no real issues other than my dirty fuel tank. I built a fuel polishing unit with parts I bought in Portsmouth. after running it about 20 hours it seemed to sort out the engine stalling issue. I think the thunderstorm I tried to motor through broke some junk loose. Sailing instead of motoring always seems to be the correct call?

Well, at least enough clean fuel to make it through the CCC with no issues. I still have some anxiety each time I start the engine. Oh well that's boat life I guess. On the positive side I've tried sailing off anchor and sailing to anchor a few times and it went OK. Only tried it with no other boats around and relatively safe amount of sea room.

The lobster pots in Maine are annoying. I had to jump in once to get a line off of my rudder. I tethered in because I'm alone and paranoid about loosing my beautiful boat (and life). Barnacles all over my rudder which I kicked while swimming back up and cut the top of my foot open. Not bad enough for stiches so I call that a minor win.

Stocking in East Greenwich now and planning on a trip down south for the winter, at least as far as South Carolina I think. First time ever doing such a trip. I'm sure it will be fine. Right? Anyway, I'm re-enforcing my belowdecks autopilot bracket so I can actually use it without it tearing itself off it's mount. I think I will require it for a few 110mi+ jumps as I go down. So far, it's all been hand-steering and that's been exhausting on the overnight sails.
Old 07-10-2021, 18:46   #41

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I just left Glostah today free a five night stay. Busy, but very nice. And welcoming. A short getaway three hours from home.
This time of year everywhere in the northeast has plenty of room!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 20:15   #42

Quote:
I just left Glostah today free a five night stay. Busy, but very nice. And welcoming. A short getaway three hours from home.
This time of year everywhere in the northeast has plenty of room!
I was there that day!
Old 10-10-2021, 20:17   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafoo View Post
Thank you DMF Sailing and everyone else posting amazing information here!

I made my way back from "down east Maine" to East Greenwich RI by way of Gloucester Harbor (which was fantastic, thank you) and a few other stops. I did one overnight sail down the Gulf of Maine. Good times, no real issues other than my dirty fuel tank. I built a fuel polishing unit with parts I bought in Portsmouth. after running it about 20 hours it seemed to sort out the engine stalling issue. I think the thunderstorm I tried to motor through broke some junk loose. Sailing instead of motoring always seems to be the correct call?

Well, at least enough clean fuel to make it through the CCC with no issues. I still have some anxiety each time I start the engine. Oh well that's boat life I guess. On the positive side I've tried sailing off anchor and sailing to anchor a few times and it went OK. Only tried it with no other boats around and relatively safe amount of sea room.

The lobster pots in Maine are annoying. I had to jump in once to get a line off of my rudder. I tethered in because I'm alone and paranoid about loosing my beautiful boat (and life). Barnacles all over my rudder which I kicked while swimming back up and cut the top of my foot open. Not bad enough for stiches so I call that a minor win.

Stocking in East Greenwich now and planning on a trip down south for the winter, at least as far as South Carolina I think. First time ever doing such a trip. I'm sure it will be fine. Right? Anyway, I'm re-enforcing my belowdecks autopilot bracket so I can actually use it without it tearing itself off it's mount. I think I will require it for a few 110mi+ jumps as I go down. So far, it's all been hand-steering and that's been exhausting on the overnight sails.
My pleasure, it's great to read that your adventure went well. Yeah, I've gone in after a lobster pot... we have a system for sailing at night in lobster pot-infested waters, but sooner or later, you're in the water, trying to free the boat. Glad you're ok.
Good luck with your adventures.
Old 22-06-2022, 06:11   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbee View Post
I have a mooring in Potter Cove, RI you are welcome to use. I would need your vessel name and your name to provide to the Portsmouth RI harbor master to add you to a guest list.

See attached aerial image for morning location. The mooring is winterized currently. Was inspected last fall and some repairs will be made when prepped for the boating season this Spring.
Hey Walbee,
I am looking to moor in Potters on occasion, as I’m sure you now the waitlist is quite long for availability. Can we chat privately about using yours? We’d happily contribute to maintenance costs, etc.
Azorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 06:15   #45

Boat: Grand Banks Europa 42

Hi, I am actually in the process of giving up my mooring permit for the Potter Cove mooring. I have contacted the Portsmouth harbor master letting him know I want to cancel my permit. Someone else will be taking over ownership shortly.
walbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, Rhode Island