Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2005, 11:00   #1

Send a message via AIM to GrayGoose
Lake Champlain outside and around to Rhode Island

Greetings folks,
Gunner, I took your advice, let the wood boat go and stayed with FRP, going with the flow. My experience is only day sailing for 12 years, tops in maybe 25 knots. With an Alberg 30, full keel, 5 tons, and two crew also with no bluewater experience, but young and strong, I'm picking up the boat late JUne on Lake Champlain and would like to sail north to the St. Lawrence, around to Nova Scotia and down the coast. How conservative must I be, or am I crazy to take on such an ambitious cruise my first time out? Thoughts, please, particularly from anyone whose got experience in those waters. Thanks.
Jack
Old 01-03-2005, 12:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Jack I don't think you will ever go wrong with a FRP Alberg! Beautiful boats. Check out my post under cruising plans. I asked for advise on how it would be best for me to take my boat out the St Lawarance. It looks like we are going out the erie.
Old 01-03-2005, 13:57   #3

I'm still fumbling around this site; I looked under Great Lakes, thinking it was under that. Give me another hint.
Jack
Old 01-03-2005, 14:26   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Jack, I don't understand. Do you wish to take an extended cruise or gather blue water experience or both? Your profile lists you as merely being down river from Lake Champlain. What is the purpose of the St. Lawrence?
You can, more safely, transit the Champlain Canal, Hudson River, Long Island Sound, Fishers Island Sound and finally, Block Island Sound enroute to Rhode Island. The entire route is in protected waters. A better choice with a new (to you) boat and no blue water experience.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 14:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
My thread is under Members presentations, Sailors logs& cruising plans. Also I would tend to agree with Jim. I am somewhat in the same boat as you and I have desided that the St Lawrance is more than I should try to handle at this time. My thread about taking the boat from the great lakes covers some of the issues that we would face.
Old 04-03-2005, 18:37   #6

Jim, yes, my intent was both an extended cruise coupled with blue water experience. The boat is newly purchased from a port on Lake Champlain, and my choice was either locking through the Champlain canal to the Hudson, pausing at home, then carrying on south to Long Island Sound, Block Island, Buzzards Bay, etc....or to take the bolder alternative which would be to head north to the Richielieu River, transiting the St. Lawrence, Nova Scotia, Maine, etc. Since opening this thread, I've talked with two sailors in Nova Scotia, read some descriptive text from cruising guides...enough to see that--as you pointed out--with inexperienced crew and learning a new boat---the known waters would both be safest while offering sufficient opportunity to increase offshore voyaging gradually. I sat in West Marine for an hour or so and read some mariner's descriptions of the tidal currents up north that were daunting to say the least. Thanks for your practical view. Jack
P.S. Gunner, thanks, I found your post.

Tags
Rhode Island