Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2015, 16:16   #16

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Kobra 2 Anchor - any comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
The test results you indicate were published six years ago. I can't recall other tests showing the Kobra outperforming their competitors. There may be better choices out there.

Price certainly is good.
By all means direct me to other test results. I'd be keen to see any independent / impartial comparative testing of anchor performance. The 2009 survey I linked is what I've so far found...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 23:18   #17

Boat: Sandibar 35

Here's a 2013 article from German Yacht-magazine (in german) about new anchors. Kobra II was the winner. Good holding in all bottoms. Only gripe was the finish; rough edges on the shaft. http://www.bukh-bremen.de/files/346/...Anker_Test.pdf
The article also references older tests where the Kobra did well (the previous model).
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 02:54   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

The German test is interesting in that instead of increasing the force until the anchor drags, they have a sustained for some time 150 decaN (~150Kgf) then 250 dN sustained. So its not a test of ultimate holding power but of the anchors capability on different bottom types in moderate wind. Depending on who you read the maximum is equivalent to 20-25kts wind on a 10-12m yacht. Put together with the Yachting Monthly test, it gives a better picture of the Kobra 2's performance. Of course, few anchors appear in both tests.

What I have found with the Kobra is that if you back hard down immediately, it often drags, but if you hold low power for a few minutes and gradually increase to full power it will hold firm. The anchor, and I guess that this is not unique to the Kobra, needs some time to bury completely, once it does, it will then hold. The way the test was conducted emulates this and real life quite well. Mostly, we anchor in benign conditions which slowly deteriorate. Probably explains why so few charter boats come to grief despite their largely deficient anchoring techniques.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 05:08   #19

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Interesting study. We don't get to see many European tests. The Kobra 11 did well.

The new concept dual anchor they hinted at looks innovative, not my cup of tea but it's nice to see something new.

Tandem Anchor System by Weber Marine

goat (doesn't read German)
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 05:59   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
By all means direct me to other test results. I'd be keen to see any independent / impartial comparative testing of anchor performance. The 2009 survey I linked is what I've so far found...
When looking at anchor tests it is important to read a wide range of studies. Put the emphasis on the well conducted independent tests. It is also good to see you seeking out user opinions. These provide quite different type of information to test results.

Here a few tests featuring the Kobra. Some of these are not in English and some are a different write up of the same raw test results, but it should give you some reading matter:

http://www.stfeurope.com/pdf/Voile-Magazine-2012.pdf

http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/Ancho...0Ankertest.pdf

http://www.chainsropesandanchors.co....st%20Nov09.pdf

Test et comparatif ancre Voile magazine Mai 2012 - Sea Tech and Fun - Spade - Catalogue PDF | Documentation | Brochure de bateaux

http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/Ancho...st%20Oct09.pdf

Here are couple of opinions mentioning the Kobra. These are not tests, just one author's view, but they provide some background. The first has some good general tips on anchoring.

http://www.mayosailingclub.com/site_...l_813947d7.pdf

NEW ANCHORS TEST / COMPARATIVE # Mars 2015 # Sailing Today - Sea Tech and Fun - Spade - Catalogue PDF | Documentation | Brochure de bateaux

The Manson website is a good resource. This page has links to many anchor tests (although there are some good ones that are not listed). If you go through them there are likely to be tests that include that Kobra that I have missed.

The Manson Supreme independent test results

I have never owned a Kobra, but I have seen them in action underwater. Monte has posted some photos of typical results. It is a popular anchor in Europe and is very good value for for money. It delivers good performance at one of the lowest costs of the name brand anchors. If you are prepared to spend more money there are better anchors overall, but the cost jump is considerable.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:18   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

One test aspect of Anchors that has not been mentioned is ....'how resilient it is from normal working damage?"
Maybe that is where the Kobra, or others have a weakness
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 15:25   #22
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Funny you should mention that. Yesterday when we tried to weigh anchor it was snagged on a rock. Motoring over it we could clearly see it wedged under a large 2m round flat rock. I don't know if we set it that way but I'm guessing we did as I didn't snorkel on it. My fault for not checking the bottom well enough before the drop. I was thinking I'd have to dive on it to unsnag it, bit slowly motoring over over it and pulling it out backwards worked. Close inspection showed no damage to the anchor. I was a bit concerned pulling it out this way as they're not really designed for lateral loads, but we didn't have to force it so all's well! Sorry, for no anchor pic, it would have been a good one ..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 16:47   #23

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Thank you all for your informative input. Plenty of food for thought, particularly in Noelex77's post above (Reviewing the articles linked made me wish that my high-school French and German wasn't so damned rusty, hahaha).

While I ponder, I'll stick with my current anchor(s)... no need to be hasty. I'm all excited about taking delivery of our new anchor chain!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:36   #24
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Here's one of the worst sets I've seen on the 25kg Kobra 5:1 in 5m

The seabed here is stated on the chart as a mixture of coral and cobbles. I haven't come across the term cobbles before but it seems to be very hard but possible to dig into. We set the anchor 2 days ago with a bit less reverse thrust than usual, about 2000rpm on both engines for a minute or two. I thought we were in sand and we weren't dragging at all. We've had a bit of breeze, up to 25kn, and there's no sign the anchor has moved at all. I might try reverse at 2400RPM for a couple of minutes and see if it digs any deeper, but as it's been holding well I'm not overly concerned at this stage..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432924568.253635.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	102893Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432924581.921110.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	102894
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
OH BOY! Another anchor war!

We have ROCNA 54Kg as primary. 54# Bruce as secondary. We carry 6 anchors - all different. 35 Danforth up to 180# put-together Fisherman's

The Kobra is a cheap lighter, more easily bent copy of a Lewmar Delta.

The Rocna has been reported for a serious design flaw, it often fails to reset after a 180 degree veer. Steve of SC Penope anchor testing fame also found that it suffers from mud fouling. Like many modern anchors it is far too easily bent or broken.

The Bruce is a good anchor, unless you use it in any weed. Same for the Danforth, it does not like weed, but unlike the Bruce can be bent. Works fairly well in rocks.

The basic bar type fishermans is good in rocks and heavy weed, BUT is real bad in mud or sand.

Oddly enough the most common cause of losses at anchor, if you exclude finger trouble, is weed fouling of an anchor stopping it reseting. Any plow anchor will be OK in moderate weed.
TNLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:17   #26

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I have used Kobra 2 for many years on two different cats.
We anchor most of the time.

Very happy with it. Never let me down.
Good quality, very reasonably priced.

Tags
anchor, kobra, men